It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 pm

Mutated Ukraine version could reach Britain 

Mutated Ukraine version could reach Britain
Tamiflu-resistant swine flu 'could get worse'

Siam: In the longer version of this article the WHO states there are 57 cases tamiflu resistance worldwide, including Canada.

22/11/2009
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -21840297/

The Tamiflu-resistant swine flu that broke out in a Welsh hospital could become more common as the virus mutates.

Three of the five patients diagnosed with what is thought to be the world's first cases of the new strain are still in hospital.

Prof Nigel Dimmock, a virologist at the University of Warwick, said: "This is just the beginning. You have got a lot of viruses and if you use Tamiflu at the level they are using it, you'll get resistance."

But he added: "The vaccine is coming on, so Tamiflu is a stop-gap. There's no need to panic."

Meanwhile a mutation of the flu virus which has apparently killed hundreds in the Ukraine could reach Britain, experts say.
Siam: this is what scares the he*% out of me. The mutation is the same one, as the one of the 1918 pandemic. If it makes it to Britian it will make it around the world. As usual Dr Niman is right yet again.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Mutated Ukraine version could reach Britain
If this mutation becomes widespread, would the vaccine be effective, since it no would no longer contain the virus in circulation?

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:14 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

ruts, from everything i've read, the vax has never been as effective as the real thing. to have naturally caused antibodies that match a virii 100%, you should have life long immunity. for whatever reason, the vax appears not to be as permanant. i've seen anywhere from 10 yrs to 20.

this mutated virus is not a 100% match of what has already gone through much of this hemisphere, or the h1n1 vax. if you've had either, you will have some immunity. some. and i believe naturally aquired immunity will provide a little bit better protection than engineered.

case in point. when i had h1n1 last month...the only symptoms i had were very sore thigh muscles. got tired before the end of the day. nothing i'd of credited to the swine flu...except i have found out that yes..when i was an infant,during the flu of 1957, i was taken to the hospital sick "with a bad bug". (lol.) the 1957 flu provided some immunity from the h1n1. because they have similar components. note though that the 1957 version vs today's h1n1 is obviously quite more removed from the original virus than the two virii of h1n1 today. the two h1n1's are closer matches to each other. kinda like the difference between cousins and brothers.

it's hard to say just what symptoms ppl with partial immunity will have, if they do contract this mutated variety. different components of the virii will manufest into different 'symptoms'. change one part and the fever's not so high. change this part, and you get bleeding of the lungs. fwiw...my guess is it will help quit a bit. especially if ppl take care of themselves...good nutition, lot's of fluids, let a low fever run, ...you know the drill.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:45 am
GT Truther

manufest?

just listen to me :roflmao

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:06 am

Well I think that I am willing to risk it and take the vaccine and hope that something in that vaccine will help me and mine get thru this new form of the virus. We also have had the virus itself as well. Maybe double protection. :dunno

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:55 pm
Profile WWW