It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 am

Soaring prices threaten new food crisis 

Fears of a global food crisis swept the world’s commodity markets as prices for staples such as corn, rice and wheat spiralled after the US government warned of “dramatically” lower supplies.

An especially hot summer in the US, droughts in countries including Russia and Brazil and heavy rain in Canada and Europe have hit many grain and oilseed crops this year. This has raising concern of a severe squeeze in food supplies and a repeat of the 2007-08 food crisis.

The US Department of Agriculture, in a closely watched report, predicted that the country’s stocks of corn would halve to their lowest levels in 14 years.
Snip

The US is the world’s largest corn grower and its exports make up the majority of global trade in the grain. The USDA had earlier forecast a record corn crop this year but a combination of unfavourable heat and heavy rains forced a re-evaluation of yields.

The fall in supplies has prompted countries such as Russia and Ukraine to impose export restrictions on grains.

Big importers in the Middle East and North Africa have started to hoard supplies, which has further tightened the market.
Snip

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/12b06cee-d300-11df-9ae9-00144feabdc0.html

Not good!!!

:scared

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:06 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Soaring prices threaten new food crisis
Not good indeed, time to stock up on rice me thinks :hmm :hmm

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:33 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, thanks for that Sky, I think I will buy another bag of rice.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:59 pm
Profile WWW

Nice to see you posting again Siam - been on a sabatical?

Indeed the time to stock up.

Today my wife and I decided to do an action plan for some bartering items to keep in storage.

1. Salt
2. Spices
3. Herritage Seeds - which we will produce ourselves.
4. Sets of simple tools (like spades, forks and hoe's to use in a gardening effort)

These will be very easy to use as trade with folk who did not make provision and have like items to barter with. Could even be used for currency to settle labour payments with if one is to need assistance in such a case. We live in an area where there are too many people that do not have the means, but will probably be prepared to work for food or material items.

I think herritage seeds are a must for every prepper that is staying put in a safe location. At least it can be used if not useful to barter with.

:brockoli

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:17 am
Profile WWW

I've been buying bartering items, too, Sky, as I went along. Salt is an important one, as refrigeration becomes non-existent salt-cured meat will be invaluable,as are spices to make dull food more palatable. I have put up sugar, flour and rice in empty containers (like empty coffee cans) of 2 sizes, in addition to the stores I have for ourselves. This way I have readily available basics to barter, or give away. I've stocked up on other simple things too at the dollar store: toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, first aid items, deodorant, female hygiene products. These for a time when the first wave of trying to survive is over and the reality of not having what we are accustomed to calling "basic necessities" hits home.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:14 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Searching for Crumbs in Syria’s Breadbasket
By ROBERT F. WORTH

AR RAQQAH, Syria — The farmlands spreading north and east of this Euphrates River town were once the breadbasket of the region, a vast expanse of golden wheat fields and bucolic sheep herds.

Now, after four consecutive years of drought, this heartland of the Fertile Crescent — including much of neighboring Iraq — appears to be turning barren, climate scientists say. Ancient irrigation systems have collapsed, underground water sources have run dry and hundreds of villages have been abandoned as farmlands turn to cracked desert and grazing animals die off. Sandstorms have become far more common, and vast tent cities of dispossessed farmers and their families have risen up around the larger towns and cities of Syria and Iraq.

snip

For Syria, which is running out of oil reserves and struggling to draw foreign investment, the farming crisis is an added vulnerability in part because it is taking place in the area where its restive Kurdish minority is centered. Iraq, devastated by war, is now facing a water crisis in both the north and the south that may be unprecedented in its history. Both countries have complained about reduced flow on the Euphrates, thanks to massive upriver dam projects in Turkey that are likely to generate more tension as the water crisis worsens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/world/middleeast/14syria.html?_r=1&hp

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:31 am

Hat tip to guanosphere

Edible Oil Prices Set to Rise
2010-10-15 08:31:18 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Yu Jingjing

Edible oil prices are expected to rise within the next few days, with peanut oil and blend oil prices up about 10 percent.

con. http://english.cri.cn/6909/2010/10/15/2741s599464.htm

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:41 pm
Profile YIM