It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 am

The Perfect Survival Food 

Post The Perfect Survival Food
The Perfect Survival Food #1

by Gayle from Gainesville

What is the perfect survival food? Before we can arrive at a satisfactory answer to this question we must first agree on a criterion of perfection with respect to foodstuffs.

I wish to suggest that the perfect survival food must remain viable without refrigeration for weeks at a time. The perfect survival food must also be inexpensive and highly nutritious. It must be incredibly versatile, as food fatigue is a real concern. Finally, every part of the food item must be usable—there can be no waste in the economy of perfection. As the saying goes, “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without it.”

Is there anything that answers to the description “the perfect survival food”? Yes, I say. The egg. The egg is the perfect survival food.

Fresh eggs will keep without refrigeration for weeks at a time. Eggs are inexpensive and highly nutritious. The egg is incredibly versatile: I have read that there are more than 100 ways to cook an egg! And finally, every part of the egg can be used: the yolk, the egg white, the eggshell and even the egg membrane. No waste.

Culinary Uses
Sure, everyone knows that eggs serve a number of culinary purposes. Eggs serve as thickeners, as for example, when we make custard. Eggs act as emulsifiers—without eggs, it would be difficult to make mayonnaise. Eggs serve as leavening agents. (A leavening agent helps a cooked product rise.) Without eggs, there would be no angel food cake or lemon meringues pie. Eggs help bind ingredients; try making meatloaf without adding a couple of eggs—it’s not pretty. We use eggs to coat foods—the breadcrumbs used to make fried chicken stick to the chicken because of the egg coating.[1]
Finally, we cook eggs—eggs benedict, eggs Florentine, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, hard-boiled eggs, deviled eggs, pickled eggs, eggs cooked sunny side up or over easy. We make omelets, frittatas, quiches, egg salad, egg sandwich, steak and eggs, egg drop soup . . . . The list is truly endless.

Nutrition
The egg is also highly nutritious. Eggs contain almost all the essential nutrients a body needs. Eggs are one of the few single source foods that contain complete proteins, and that means that the proteins are readily absorbable by the body. The egg is also one of the few food sources of Vitamin D.
The egg yolk is the most nutritious part of the egg. According to Living Strong, “An egg yolk is full of the minerals calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, cooper, manganese and selenium and the vitamins thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, B6, folate, B12, the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K and carotenoids. There are about 51 calories in an egg yolk, 11 calories from protein and 40 calories from fat. Egg yolks are have so many vitamins and minerals it is almost like taking a multivitamin.” [2]

Compost Ingredient
But the egg offers more than good nutrition for the human body. Eggshells help return essential nutrients to the soil through the process of composting.[3] Many soils lack calcium, and it is the lack of calcium that causes blossom end rot on tomatoes. Rather than throwing eggshells into the garbage, compost them. Composting is the process of returning decomposed organic matter to the soil. It is the best and cheapest way to improve your soil. And it helps keep organic waste out of landfills. The extra calcium in the soil will prevent blossom end rot, and your tomatoes will be much happier.[4]
And don’t forget, if you make hard-boiled eggs let the water cool and then use it to water your tomatoes. This will add even more calcium to your tomatoes, providing even more insurance against blossom end rot.

Slug and Snail Prevention
This is not the only garden use for eggshells. If you have trouble with slugs and snails, place broken up eggshells around your plants. Yes, eggshells help foil snails and slugs. The jaggedly surface of the crushed eggshells proves to be an organic deterrent to these unwanted bests.

Seed Starting Container
Eggshells may also be used as garden pots for seedlings. Simply crack the shell into two roughly halves. Carefully poke a hole in the bottom for drainage. Then fill each half with compost. Then plant the seed. When the seedlings are ready to be planted outside, gently crack the eggshell and insert the plant (eggshell and all) into the garden. The eggshell will provide additional nutrients for the growing plant.[5]

Wound Care
We are not finished touting the virtues of the egg. The super-thin membrane inside the eggshell has long been used as a home remedy for minor cuts and skin irritations. First, clean the cut with soap and water. Then carefully peal the membrane from the eggshell. Place the liquidly side of the membrane on the cut. Then let the membrane dry. What you now have is a natural band-aid. Moreover, this “band-aid” contains a natural antibiotic called lysozyme.[6]

References
[1] http://www.saskschools.ca/curr_content/ ... mod8_eggs/ eggs_role_uses/paa_p1.htm
[2] http://www.livestrong.com/article/53249 ... tion-eggs/
[3] http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/nyerges44.html
[4] http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/compost ... garden.htm
[5] http://ecolocalizer.com/2011/04/15/crea ... ting-pots/
[6] http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-lysozyme.htm
[7] http://www.motherearthnews.com/ask-our- ... ation.aspx

:yamon

Source - http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/the-perfect-survival-food/

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:45 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: The Perfect Survival Food
The Perfect Survival Food #2

From The Survivalist Blog - by M D Creekmore

Yesterday; some friends came up to the homestead kitty to fire off a few rounds through a new Bushmaster AR-15 one of them bought the week before at a gun show.

Anyway after blasting off maybe three hundred rounds, we sat under the tree out behind the trailer with a drink and spoke of old times and past dreams.

Anyway after about an hour Jim asked what I had to eat, he is the type that never leaves your house without fixing a plate of your latest cooking.

You know the type, always looking for a free meal. You would swear he was starving to death, but looking around the waistline proves such thoughts unfounded.

Luckily I made a batch of what I think is the perfect survival food, or “the mix” as I call it. It is cheap at only a few cents per serving and loaded with protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and mineral.

I think you could live on this one food for years with no bad health affects associated with malnutrition, it has everything the body needs and then some.

To start grind (you do have a grinder?) one pound each of pinto beans, corn, wheat and rye. You may need to grind several times to get the meal ground to the desired consistency. Mix the flour.

Measure 5½ cups of water and pour into a large bowl, measure two cups (10 oz) of meal and slowly pour and mix with the water. Now add two tsp salt, one tsp chili powder (or other flavoring to taste), one tsp black pepper and three tsp of onion or garlic powder.

Pour this into a CROCK POT and cook on medium or high, depending on how hot your crock gets at a set temperature. Cook for about two hours, stirring every 20 minutes to keep the mess from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Pour out into a baking pan, be sure to lightly grease the bottom of the pan first and wrap the whole thing tightly with plastic wrap, now put it up and let stand over night.

The next morning it should have hardened enough that you can cut it into thin slices that can be fried on the stove top. Just cut and fry like pancakes.

Anyway my hungry friend ate two huge servings with bacon and eggs on the side. I have never seen anyone eat like that, I could hear what I thought was him saying something about how he wished his wife would learn to cook.

Or I think, that was what he said – hard to tell when they talk and eat at the same time. I think I need to find new friends…

Source: - http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/prefect-survival-food/

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:21 am
Profile WWW

The Perfect Survival Food #3

by M.D. Creekmore

Pinto beans have been a stable food for many southerners for decades. I remember going to my grandmother’s house as a child, the smell of fresh pinto beans and cornbread filled the air. My grandparents where poor as church mice yet pinto beans and cornbread where always on the table no matter their poverty.

My grandmother was an excellent cook. She could turn the most basic foods into the best tasting, filling and nutritious foods. I just wish I had had the foresight to learn all I could from her while she was alive, but like most kids I spent my time chasing childish pursuits and gold at the end of the rainbow.

Pinto beans kept many families from starving during the depression of the 1930’s. Cornbread and beans were always there regardless of their impoverishment. If you have a supply of pinto beans you’ll never hunger. They are important in the diet, and easy on the budget, allowing the survivor to stock up with hundreds of pounds, with little cash. Many consider the pinto bean to be the perfect survival food.

Pinto beans contain approximately twice as much protein as cereal grains and on a per-serving basis, about half as much protein as lean meat. Beans are low in fat, high in carbohydrates and are a good source of iron and fiber.

My local Save-A-Lot food store has halstead pinto beans in the twenty-five pound bag for $13.95. Twenty-five pounds of pinto beans turns into seventy-five pounds of food when cooked. At 56 cents a pound, dried, that’s a little over 18 cents for a pound of cooked beans. That’s a lot of food for the money no matter how you cook it.

I find myself eating pinto beans in one form or another at least three times a week. Some may balk at the thought of eating any food three times a week but when you live on little money, saving every penny becomes important; coming up with innovative ways of cooking and processing to make every meal unique becomes necessary to alleviate boredom.

On Monday morning I put mix six cups of water and two cups of beans, two tea spoons of salt and a teaspoon of pepper in a large cooker with lid. Most of the time I cook the beans on top of the wood stove or outside over an open fire, since pinto beans take approximately four hours to finish cooking, depending on the heat, I prefer using my propane for other less intensive cooking if possible.

Check the contents every thirty minutes or so and if needed ad another cup of water to keep from burning. When they become soft to the touch they are done. Serve with cornbread and onions or peppers for flavor.

On Tuesday, I use the cooked beans to make homemade chili. Take three cups pinto beans mix with two cups dark red kidney beans in bowl. Fry one pound of hamburger or finely ground deer meat, mince one medium onion and add to meat and drain away liquid, add mixture to beans, add two 16 oz cans of tomato sauce and chili powder to taste.

Wednesday is bean cake day. Take left over beans from those cooked on Monday add one well beaten egg, one minced medium onion, one and a half cups of flour and stir, salt and pepper to taste, lightly grease frying pan and prepare like you would pancakes.

Keep Surviving.

Source: - http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/perfect-survival-food/

:tounge

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:27 am
Profile WWW

The Perfect Survival Food #4

Cornbread and Beans The Perfect Survival Food

by M.D. Creekmore

I remember as a small child going to my grandmother’s house, she always had a fresh pot of pinto beans on the stove and cornbread baking in the oven, the smell of the two coming from the kitchen filled the house with a pleasant aroma that made my stomach ache to be filled.

Grandma Creekmore never owned a can opener or microwave oven, but she had a special gift in the kitchen. She could take the most basic foods and turn them into the most delicious meals. Being poor and growing up during the Great Depression was her training, they had to make do with what they had or starve.

Even today cornbread and beans are staple foods here at the homestead, finding their way onto my table at least three times a week.

The “trick” is to have beans and cornbread one day and cornbread and beans the next. I crumble the cornbread and cover with beans and soup with a few onions from the garden for extra flavor.

Cornbread

2 eggs
2 cups milk
4 tbsp. cooking oil
2 cups cornmeal (grind fresh for best taste)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
Beat eggs, milk and oil. Add dry ingredients and stir quickly and thoroughly. Bake for 50 minutes at 325 degrees.

Pinto Beans

2 cups of beans
8 cups of water
2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of pepper.

Sort beans, wash and soak overnight. Beans can be cooked on the stove top, over an open fire or in a Crock-Pot or pressure cooker. If I am going to be home all day I prefer the open fire, gives the beans a unique taste not found with the other methods. The fastest and most covenant method is to use a pressure cooker.

Using basic foods saves money, having a supply on hand will guarantee you never go hungry – no matter how poor your are or bad the times, you will thrive.

Source: - http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/cornbread-and-beans/

:cool

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:35 am
Profile WWW

Cornbread and Beans The Perfect Survival Food

by M.D. Creekmore

I remember as a small child going to my grandmother’s house, she always had a fresh pot of pinto beans on the stove and cornbread baking in the oven, the smell of the two coming from the kitchen filled the house with a pleasant aroma that made my stomach ache to be filled.

Grandma Creekmore never owned a can opener or microwave oven, but she had a special gift in the kitchen. She could take the most basic foods and turn them into the most delicious meals. Being poor and growing up during the Great Depression was her training, they had to make do with what they had or starve.

Even today cornbread and beans are staple foods here at the homestead, finding their way onto my table at least three times a week.

The “trick” is to have beans and cornbread one day and cornbread and beans the next. I crumble the cornbread and cover with beans and soup with a few onions from the garden for extra flavor.

Cornbread

2 eggs
2 cups milk
4 tbsp. cooking oil
2 cups cornmeal (grind fresh for best taste)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
Beat eggs, milk and oil. Add dry ingredients and stir quickly and thoroughly. Bake for 50 minutes at 325 degrees.

Pinto Beans

2 cups of beans
8 cups of water
2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of pepper.

Sort beans, wash and soak overnight. Beans can be cooked on the stove top, over an open fire or in a Crock-Pot or pressure cooker. If I am going to be home all day I prefer the open fire, gives the beans a unique taste not found with the other methods. The fastest and most covenant method is to use a pressure cooker.

Using basic foods saves money, having a supply on hand will guarantee you never go hungry – no matter how poor your are or bad the times, you will thrive.

Source:- http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/cornbread-and-beans/

:clap

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:39 am
Profile WWW

What Everybody Ought To Know About Cooking Pinto Beans
by M.D. Creekmore

Cooking pinto beans begins with sorting. The reason for sorting is mainly to make sure the beans are free from rocks. Many people also like to pick out the beans that are darker or odd-shaped although those beans will not hurt you.

Sorting

To begin sorting, pour a few cups of beans on to a table. Sit at the table in front of the beans with a pan or bowl large in your lap that is large enough to fit all of the beans that are on the table. Scoot beans from the edge of the table to the pan or bowl, removing any rocks or anything else that you see that needs to be removed.

Washing

After sorting the beans, place them in a colander and wash under running water under the faucet in the kitchen sink for a minute or so. It’s best to hold with one hand and move the beans around with the other to make sure that they are clean. Washing them under running water will assure that all dirt has been rinsed from them.

Cooking

Once beans are sorted and washed, it’s time to begin the cooking process. It is very important to note that beans expand at least double when cooked with liquid. Make sure that you use a pan that has plenty of room for this expansion.

There is a fast method and a slower method for cooking pinto beans. The fast method takes about four hours. The slower method takes overnight for soaking and about four hours for cooking.

The Fast Method

The fast method is to put the pinto beans in a pan. Cover with water at least three inches above the beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover with lid, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the beans sit for one hour with the lid on. The beans will then be plump and ready to cook.

Remove the lid after the hour and pour out water. Refill beans in pan with clean water, covering beans at least one inch above the beans. Bring beans to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer beans with lid on for about four hours, checking every hour to make sure beans continue to have enough water.

The Slow Method

The slower method involves covering the pan of beans with water at least three inches above the beans. Soak overnight. The next morning the beans will be plump and ready to cook. Pour out the water and fill with clean tap water, covering beans at least one inch above the beans.

Bring beans to boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for about four hours, checking every hour to make sure beans continue to have enough water.

If you have a slow cooker (commonly called a crock-pot), you can cook the pinto beans all day on low. Just make sure that the water level is filled as high as it can be so it won’t go dry.

Some beans cook faster depending on how old they are. Beans are done when tender when poked with a fork or by tasting. If the beans run out of water while cooking, they will be dry and have a burnt taste. It is important for them to always have plenty of water.

Seasoning

Seasoning beans vary with personal preference. Do not add salt until after the beans are cooked. Adding salt before cooking will make the beans less tender. Adding chopped onion or fresh garlic while cooking makes very flavorful beans. Salt and seasonings to taste can be added after a few hours of cooking. Simmer for a short time after adding seasonings.

Pinto beans need to be used within a few days in the refrigerator. They can be frozen to use at a later date. Freeze the juice too as they will dry out. Pinto beans can also be mashed easily with a potato masher or an electric mixer.

Start by using little juice and then add juice as desired. Fresh water can be used if you don’t end up with enough juice. Frying hamburger and using chili-seasoning mix make great chili beans. Get creative. Once cooked, pinto beans have many uses in casseroles, dips and Mexican style food. Easy and affordable, not to mention easy to cook, pinto beans are a delight.

BEAN CAKES

2 cups mashed beans 1 small onion, chopped 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons cornmeal 1 tablespoon flour 1 teaspoon chili powder Mash beans with a fork and add cornmeal, salt, flour and chili powder. Stir well. Add the chopped onion and mix until well blended. If the mixture is too dry, thin it with bean juice or a small amount of water. Heat a skillet and grease it with bacon drippings. When the pan is hot, drop in the bean mixture by the spoonful and mash each cake flat with a spoon. Brown and serve.

Source:- http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/cooking-pinto-beans/

;)

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:50 am
Profile WWW

PINTO BEAN PIE

Mix together,1 cup sugar, 1 cup cooked Pinto Beans, drained and mashed well, and 1 stick melted butter.

(If beans appear too dry, 1/4 cup milk may be added.)

Add 2 eggs, slightly beaten, plus 1 tablespoon water, 1 cup coconut flakes and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

May sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg on top if so desired.

Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake for 50 – 60 minutes at 350 degrees.

Yummy - real easy and cheap! :tounge

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:26 am
Profile WWW

:roflmao :slap :tounge

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So, eat beans every meal.

Classic! ;)

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Pinto beans, cornbread and fried potatoes were a staple in my Grandmother's kitchen. Same in mine, today.

Pinto bean pie? :hmm :roflmao

Beans and rice make the perfect protein, as we know.

In Latin America the bean is black, though.

Ever tried cranberry beans or Anasazi beans? I get these dried at my local farmer's market and put them in my preps.

Good thing East Texas and I love beans, right?

P.S. - if ya put a bit of baking soda in the soaking water - it helps with the gas! :yamon

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:41 am

Hey Blue, we are growing them black beans presently!

We got given some herritage black bean seeds last year - and wow, do they produce.

We have created quite a stock pile now, and are now trying to see if they have any definitive recipies. The black skin makes for purple water when cooked, meaning they are rich in Licopene - good for blood pressure and the heart!

:brockoli

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:53 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
Hey Blue, we are growing them black beans presently!

We got given some herritage black bean seeds last year - and wow, do they produce.

We have created quite a stock pile now, and are now trying to see if they have any definitive recipies. The black skin makes for purple water when cooked, meaning they are rich in Licopene - good for blood pressure and the heart!

:brockoli

Drink the purple water Do it, DO IT!!!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:33 am
Profile YIM

We do fr33k - we do. It goes into the veg stock for making up the sauce, and the whole things takes on a awesome colour ... :tounge

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:46 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
We do fr33k - we do. It goes into the veg stock for making up the sauce, and the whole things takes on a awesome colour ... :tounge

;) Makes you feel A LOT better afterwards It also cleans you out but not in a NASTY way like Laxatives do :cool Have you ever actually tried drinking it like a cup of green tea. Helps your liver too and No Stomach aches.

While boiling it have you ever tried ginger as well. IMHO I think it's Nice.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:02 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Sky - here is an awesome recipe for black beans. They make them this way in Venezuela, too.

Ultimate Frijoles Negros – Black Beans
By Three Guys From Miami

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 10-12 servings

Frijoles negros is a signature dish of Cuban cuisine. It's black beans cooked to perfection in a thick aromatic stew.

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 cups black beans, dried
9 cups water
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 bay leaf
3 tablepoons vinegar
3/4 cup dry Spanish wine
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil (to drizzle over beans in final step)

Cover dry beans with water and let stand covered overnight. Drain and discard water.

Place the cleaned black beans in a large 6-quart saucepan. Add water and olive oil – this will prevent the beans from foaming. Bring the beans to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.

Do not add salt to the beans when they are cooking. Salt at this stage of the game will make your beans very tough.

You may also cook the beans in a pressure cooker. Follow the manufacturer's directions for exact times, but our pressure cooker takes about 20 to 25 minutes to cook the beans completely.

Whichever method you use, do not drain the water from the cooked beans.

Meanwhile, chop onion and green pepper. Mash the garlic with salt and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle.

Sauté the onions and green pepper in olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add mashed garlic and sauté another minute or so.

Add the cooked beans, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, vinegar, and wine. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.

Some cooks – including us – like to thicken the beans by taking about 1 cup of beans and mashing them to make a thick paste. Mix the mashed beans back into the pot.

Add additional salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in the sugar; then drizzle a couple of tablespoons of olive oil over the beans. Immediately cover the pot, remove from heat, and let stand for 10 minutes.

Serve the by now fantastically prepared black beans over white rice.

You may garnish the beans with cilantro and chopped white onions. Not only do they look good presented this way, they taste even better than they look.

This recipe and editorial content from the book: "Three Guys From Miami Cook Cuban."

Yum! Buen provecho (good eating!)

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 am

That is a nice recipe Blue - put it in my kitchen and will report once I have cooked it up.

The way to inspire using your harvests is having these cool recipes. :tounge

Thank you....

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yep, Sky, having a good recipe for the garden produce makes everything taste better.

Enjoy!

Edited to add: Only on the GT would a Cuban recipe be passed by a Texan to a South African. :roflmao :slap :yamon

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:28 am
GT Truther

Sky, I would have to vote for P-nut butter and Jelly. They keep well and last a long time. So does honey. And all at room temps. Various crackers can be added too.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:39 pm

:spit

Good one (or two) there timetraveler

Our cupboards are well stocked with PB & J also....

:clap :roflmao

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:14 am
Profile WWW