It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

Survival Stockpiling 

Post Survival Stockpiling
This is a nice and easy read "Check it Out" type of info book - well worth copying and having around, even if you just scan it once.

A bunch of cool tips and pointers....

http://www.scribd.com/doc/90398397/Survival-Stockpiling

"How to make sure there is plenty of food on the table when all hell breaks loose"

;)

Sun May 13, 2012 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Survival Stockpiling
:clap Sky!

I just printed that out and added it to my notebook. Thanks!

Sun May 13, 2012 4:16 pm
Site Admin

I cant seem to download it and or print it would one of you mind emailing it to me so I can print it please & thanks

Great find Sky :clap :clap

Sun May 13, 2012 5:30 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Sky! I have a question for all of you. I was looking at the shelf life tables. I had done some research and found that canned goods are good for much longer than their expiration date, but this site gives a much shorter time frame. What about flour? This table says it is only good for 12 months, if unopened. What happens to it? Provided it stays dry and without bugs.... There are other things on this list that I question the shelf life of - any thoughts?

Sun May 13, 2012 7:24 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

rutsuyasun wrote:
Thanks Sky! I have a question for all of you. I was looking at the shelf life tables. I had done some research and found that canned goods are good for much longer than their expiration date, but this site gives a much shorter time frame. What about flour? This table says it is only good for 12 months, if unopened. What happens to it? Provided it stays dry and without bugs.... There are other things on this list that I question the shelf life of - any thoughts?

I took my flour out of their packages & put them in Mylar bags inside 5 Gallon Pails with Oxygen Obsorbers, I am told they can last up to 5 years or longer this way?

Can anyone confirm this?

Sun May 13, 2012 7:30 pm
Profile WWW

Ruts - that is a very good observation and the issue of shelf life is a moot point. The basics of food biology is not a mystery and we could maybe do a little research and table the basics here for our own education.

Tinned food found in Antarctica was edible after 60 years when dug out of the ice. Flour will last as long as it is not oxidized by bacteria or fungus. L is right with his comment on Mylar - it will keep oxygen away from the carbs and keep the bugs out. As for cans, we have to consider two issues. Food is preserved with acids, and as long as the lining in the can prevents oxidation of the metal by the acid, it remains good for consumption.

Our focus for long term storage is to identify dry goods we can seal for 2- 3 years. We are doing the same for seeds - which will allow us to grow fresh food when the weather allows, and the rest will be up to history when we experience it...

My BIG focus is to minimise 'additives' in what we store away - as that will impact again on the health we were trying to maintain.

I shall endeavor to find reference articles to give us more insight on this most interesting and yet basic subject. Our for fathers of old had it sussed, so it ain't a mystery.

Mon May 14, 2012 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

L2L wrote:
I cant seem to download it and or print it would one of you mind emailing it to me so I can print it please & thanks

Great find Sky :clap :clap

Well, shoot! I thought I had copied it and placed it in my file folder on the computer to print out later. I ran out of color ink in the printer.

Uh not! I only got the first page.

When I tried to download it, I found I have to log onto facebook first. :censor :gah

I don't have a facebook account so no joy there.

Hmmm - I wonder if I can send it to One Note???

Mon May 14, 2012 6:04 am
Site Admin

Well, One Note didn't work either.

Hmmmm - now they've got my dander up.

Mon May 14, 2012 6:07 am
Site Admin

:elephant :brockoli :banana

Ha! Got it this time!

I just clicked on the download button on the upper right. I clicked I don't have a Facebook account.

I was then prompted to create a Scribd account. Easy peasie!

Then I clicked download and downloaded a pdf file.

Brilliant! :mrgreen:

Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 am
Site Admin

Ha that got it thanks Blue :clap :clap

Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 am
Profile WWW

Ya had me going there Blue :lol

I was thinking of mailing it to you guys, but a 34Mb file is no light duty transport from Africa!!! :mrgreen:

Just jokin tho - so any one needs this, jest shout.

I think it is a dandy compilation...

Mon May 14, 2012 8:55 am
Profile WWW

Mike Adams from Natural News posted a couple of lists: one from a website he recommends, and another for things you can get from the grocery store. You can find both lists here:

http://www.naturalnews.com/036907_emerg ... ounts.html

I won't post his list for the specialty website; if interested go to the link above. Here is his list for items from any grocery store:

Recommended storable foods you can acquire at any grocery store
These items are very low cost, loaded with nutrients, and are easy to store:

• Sugar (not to eat, but to barter with. Never eat white processed sugar.) Buy coconut sugar if you can.
• Pepper (a basic spice, easy to store, easy to barter).
• Mustard (excellent nutrition, believe it or not. Made from mustard seeds.)
• Raisins (easy to store and barter)
• Lard (yeah, lard. On a cold winter's night when the heat is off, you'll wish you had some soup made with lard... and it's healthier than "vegetable oil" which is mostly GMO soybean oil anyway.)
• Butter
• Pickled vegetables (all kinds, including sauerkraut)
• Coffee (even if you don't drink it, you can barter it. People will be desperate.)
• Coffee filters (can also be used to help filter water, cooking oil and other items)
• Brown rice (large bags)
• Steel-cut oatmeal
• Local honey (stored practically forever)
• Sardines and anchovies packed in olive oil (excellent storable omega-3s)
• Sea salt (you almost can't have too much salt stored away...)
• Yet more sea salt
• And even MORE sea salt, because you will run out in a prolonged collapse scenario.
• Peanut butter (portable, high calories, which you'll need)
• Canned meats (long shelf life)
• Canned vegetables (you'll need the nutrients)
• Natural dried meats (AVOID all MSG!)
• Nuts and nut mixes (almonds, cashews, etc.)
• Cans of coconut milk or coconut fat (adds delicious flavor to any meal)
• Spare can openers, kitchen knife, small cutting board, etc.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036907_emerg ... z24Q4e2pgR

I would add that I appreciate his natural food concerns, but I stocked regular salt (LOTS for bartering, salting meats and fish), white rice, lots of dried beans (which we do eat; no point in stocking what you don't eat normally.)

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:41 pm
Profile YIM

Nice post Ruts - Very important and off most folks' radar imo.

We cannot underestimate that list as it will be invaluable when time for bartering arrives!

;)

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Let me add my thanks as well, Ruts!

With the ole Mississippi drying up - I would add cornmeal, grits, cream of wheat, oatmeal and flour to that list.

It's gonna get expensive - fast!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Yes, BLue, I already have all those you mentioned except Cream of Wheat, which we don't eat, but I have plenty of oatmeal and 2 - 5gal. tubs of wheat.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

:clap Ruts!

Cereals of all categories are gonna get expensive, IMHO.

I don't eat oatmeal (thus the Cream of Wheat) but East Texas does - so I stock both. :mrgreen:

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:41 am
GT Truther

L2L wrote:
rutsuyasun wrote:

I took my flour out of their packages & put them in Mylar bags inside 5 Gallon Pails with Oxygen Obsorbers, I am told they can last up to 5 years or longer this way?

Can anyone confirm this?

Most survivorlest use a grain mill. They buy grain in bulk, unrefined not (powdered). If you get whole flour, corn, etc.. The whole grain has a longer shelf life then powered grain. But they put it in mylar bags which is also in a five gal pail. Or you can actualy go to a cannery where you can rent the canning equiptment and put your grain or anything else, like rice or tomatoes into a can and seal it.

I find that most canned goods are good past the Best Buy date. Some of the longest lasting foods that you should get now are, Pasta, which last 5-10 years. Whole grain rice, which last 5-20 years. Dried beans of all kinds. Spam, which has a long shelf life. Sardines, Tuna in pouch, Jellies and jams, honey which is the only food that lasts FOREVER. Or if money is no object, buy survival foods that are gurenteed to last 25 years. They have everything you can want. Powedered eggs, etc. I hope this helps.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:46 am
Site Admin

Good advice TT thanks for the input :clap

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:55 am
Profile WWW