It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am

Pantry raid! How long could you hold out? 
Site Admin

Post Pantry raid! How long could you hold out?
Very interesting. MSM is now putting out little articles like this? :hmm

What’s behind that pantry door?

This week I will do my food shopping only at one very special place: my own pantry. Lord only knows what I will find in the back corners of the lowest and highest shelves. I expect to be eating some tuna salad from all those cans I bought when forecasters were predicting the last snow storm that brought Atlanta to a halt - which may give you some idea of the vintage of those items.

But that salad will also feature capers from the jar I found while I was hunting for some artichoke hearts, and maybe I will toss those 'chokes in another salad later in the week. I could also have some salmon croquettes, now that I unearthed the canned salmon I bought because it was good for my heart. That way I can also put some of the half a bag of flour to use before it goes bad.

And there is the soup I added to my shopping cart during cold and flu season. Or maybe several kinds of soup (remember those corners). They will go nicely with the grilled cheese sandwiches I can make from the ends of the frozen bread that play hide-and-seek in my freezer.

While hunting said bread, I also found some frozen tortellini that will go well with the jars of pasta sauce that I dug out of the pantry. But some of the pasta can go into a salad with some limp broccoli that threatening to go bad – and I can use some of the tarragon vinegar or maybe the lovely aged balsamic vinegar. Ahhh - decisions.

Some "aged" carrots can be sautéed with garlic, onions and the can of black beans, and all of that can be stirred up with the bag of brown rice that I didn’t know I had.

And for dessert - either some canned pineapple, or if I can turn the brick of brown sugar I found back into granules, I could bake an apple stuffed with pecans, newly uncovered raisins, a spritz of bottled lemon juice and sugar.

Think of the money I will save not acquiring any "new" food until I whittle down the stores of comestibles in that kitchen closet. That could buy an awful lot of tuna. :roll

How long could you live on the food in your pantry?

Click the link here to answer the poll: http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/07/20/pantry-raid-how-long-could-you-hold-out/

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:15 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Pantry raid! How long could you hold out?
Freezing the ends of the bread, now there's something I NEVER thought of doing as we always just toss it out :nono

I wonder how long they can last :hmm

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:05 am
Profile WWW