It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

Powdered Eggs 
Site Admin

Post Powdered Eggs
I was going through my 3 month ration calculator recently and I realized that I needed a small farm just to house chickens for my breakfasts... :awe :scared

As I live in a suburb this is obviously out of the question so I started a search of who in Canada sold Powdered Eggs for the "Just in Case" section of my preps.

I was happy to see that there was a local supplier and they were even in my home town, awesome so off I go to buy a sample pack to try them (remember store what you eat & eat what you store).

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that they are NOT that bad, however the true test was the DD so I gave her some and much to my surprise she said she liked them.

They are NOT real eggs obviously but in a pinch these things are not that bad at all.

Now my question is before I buy enough to last me three months does anyone know how long they will last in a dry cool place, air sealed obviously.

Second question what is the best way to store them as it is sold in Bulk so other than Tupperware Containers with lids I am not sure what else will work.

Thanks

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Post Re: Powdered Eggs
My apologies for the belated reply here; I haven’t been reading very deeply into the site lately…! :embarressed

One of the suppliers of dehydrated (powdered) eggs https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/powdered_eggs.htm says thus:

sellers, above wrote:
Once Opened, How Long Will Powdered Eggs Last?

Stored in the absence of oxygen and placed in a cool storage environment, powdered eggs have a storage life of 5 to 10 years. Once a container of powdered eggs has been opened, it is comparable to any other dehydrated dairy product and shelf-life would be measured in weeks or a month. Many people opt to refrigerate the remaining portion or only open as small a container as possible. If the goal is to keep the remaining powdered eggs long-term, we recommend that you re-pack the remaining portion in a smaller container with an oxygen absorber. Keep in mind that the eggs will only store as well as the condition of the original product - and therefore, should be free of moisture and oxygen.

In other words, I think, best packaging is the original, if it is foil packs or plastic-lined tightly sealed bags, stored in colder-is-better (your freezer?). If otherwise packed in bulk (buckets?), you will need to repackage into smaller mylar bags with oxygen-absorbing packs, heat sealed (use your iron) and otherwise vacuum sealed – or maybe use one of those vacuum-sealing gizmos on late-nite TV? Since a little can go a long way in an average household, smaller packs are a good idea to ensure freshness if using over a longer period. Most of what is sold in bulk these days is intended for volume users – bakeries, etc – who might be expected to consume a full bucket in only a day or two.

A bit of investigation about exactly how the original is packed is time well spent, I think. And learning how to repack stuff is highly useful info. Lots of websites offer good advice there. Some good points here: https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/packing_your_own_food_storage.htm

Personally, I’ve invested a bit more in freeze-dried eggs packed into cans – should keep forever, or very nearly. Otherwise, I can keep using fresh until needed.

Cheers,

Selene

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:17 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Powdered Eggs
Thanks, Selene! Excellent and useful information. :clap :heart

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:07 am