It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:42 pm

HEIRLOOM SEEDS 
Site Admin

Post HEIRLOOM SEEDS
They claim to be The Most Important Webpage You Will Ever Visit...

http://www.survivalistseeds.com/Home_Page.php

Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:02 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Post Re: HEIRLOOM SEEDS
I ordered their collection of heritage seeds a few months ago, which arrived promptly in a very nice storage container - and it's one heckuva well-considered selection of easy-to-grow (more or less, some experience required... :tounge) and nutritious veggies. It's a good-sized dose of each kind - enough to plant some out and save some in case the first crop or so fails... Good advice. I've put the (sealed with tape, now) container in my fridge for optimum long-term (ten years?) storage, although, of course, the sane method would be to plant these seeds out next spring and hereafter harvest fresh seeds for storage from each succeeding year's crop. (But who says I'm that sane, anyway...? :lol )

In my view, a stash of heritage seeds is exceedingly cheap insurance. Ask yourself: How much would you be willing to pay for 'X' if there wasn't any available.....?

A stash of heritage (pre-genetically-modified) seeds is truly life support - not just for you but for all who will come after you. Too few people recognize the hazards of trying to grow even F1 Hybrid varieties - most of what is sold these days and which have been around for decades and supplies most of what we consider to be food or flowers. But these will not come "true" from their seeds - you can get all kinds of 'whatever' instead and end up without a viable seed lineage in further years. And if you are in a situation where your survival may depend on growing your own food - man, you are in trouble.

I've also taken the precaution of printing out Big John Lipscomb"s extensive notes (on website above) about growing and harvesting these various seeds. I've added it to my growing binder of life-support information. That is, I'm not assuming that all the fabulous information that's now available on the web will be accessible when we need it - and the power is out and the 'net is down and, well, you know....

In my view, a carefully stored (frozen, if you can!) collection of heritage seeds is right up there with 1) water 2) shelter 3) heat and 4) food as a critical life support stash against an ugly situation. Which, history tells us, does happen.

But that's why we're here, right?

Cheers,

Selene

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:59 pm
Site Admin

Selene I am curious did you order their $120 deal or did you make seperate orders, sorry of this is too peronal of a question..

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

GTA ...i prefer to buy my seeds seperately, not in a pre selected group. that way i can choose varieties that work best in my climate and length of season. and i don't end up with veggie seeds i really don't want to eat. if i can't find it local, i do most my ordering from:

www.rareseeds.com
www.heirloomseeds.com

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:43 pm
GT Truther

No problem.

I got the $120 pack as part of my overall food back-up and prep program. Like I said, I figure that it will keep in cold storage for perhaps a decade, with some diminishing germination rate, of course eventually, but....

I figure that's cheaper in the long run than replacing a bunch of smaller packets every year or so over the same period. Although, Genesis, your approach of selecting what works for you is certainly a good way to go! I don't have a veggie garden at the moment; it's all flowers in our small city space, so I won't be growing vegs unless needed. And a large quantity of seeds in storage can be shared with family, friends and neighbors so that others will have safety if needed. I am trying to include "enough to share" in my planning.

But each person has to figure out their own backup plans. If you're not an experienced gardener, now is a good time to get that experience, with fresh heritage seeds in modest quantities from your local outlet/store to grow now - and something like these for long-term storage. If you have a large garden and some experience, growing these and saving your own seeds from year to year is the way to go. But each person has to figure that for themselves according to their own situation.

All best regards,

Selene

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:47 pm
Site Admin

Great advice Selene.

Thank you Genisis for your feedback, experience is what we need here so thank you for yours :clap

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:51 pm
Profile WWW