It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 pm

Dehydrated Cooking 
GT Truther

Post Dehydrated Cooking
Blue...you got me to thinking. i've been spending the last 4 years accumulating supplies, much of it dehydrated staples. but, i've yet to do much anything with it. i've just been toooooo busy...building a house, and a pretty veggie garden that looks like it came straight out of a homes magazine. (please excuse my bell ringing.. ) i was also fortunate enough to come across a couple years ago what i now suspect is an excellant little cookbook of dehydrated staple ingredients. put away for that day when i'd get to actually get around to it.

well.....that day has come. and the results where sooooo good. i mean so good that DH, who's used to being palatally spoiled, commented how good they were. the best cinnamon rolls i've ever made. and it's made with a basic mix you make up ahead of time. this recipe is fast, simple, and yummy. and ALL ingredients are dehydrated. (calls for 1 stick butter, which reconstituted powder butter will work). a bonus for me, as it's time to start rotating that stock.

so, in the spirit of our group, i want to share this with ya's. if anyone else has any recipes, using all dehydrated ingredients....please post 'em. i could also make it a point to make at least one new recipe a week from this book (Mix-A-Meal Cookbook by Deanna Bean and Lorn Shute) and then share it and what the judge panel here at home says. glad to look up and share any specific recipe requests too.

be sure the flour you use has been frozen for a few days first. then keep your flour, or mixes, stored in zip lock bags or air tight containers. ...so you don't end up with weevils in your mixes. the recipe calls for three pre-made mixes that are basic for some of the recipes in the book.

Hot Roll Mix
Combine:
10 C flour
1 C dehydrated butter
2/3 C sugar
1/4 C powdered milk
2 TB salt

Crumble Topping Mix
Combine:
2 C light brown sugar
1 C. chopped nuts (pecans)
3/4 C dehydrated butter
1/2 C biscuit mix
1 1/2 TB cinnamon

Biscuit Mix can use in place of bisquick mix
combine:
8 1/2 C flour
1 1/4 C dehydrated shortening or butter
3/4 C powdered milk
1/2 C dehydrated whole egg
1/4 C baking powder
1 TB salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda

Cinnamon Roll Dough. makes 18 rolls. (note: i cut recipe in half and still got 10 rolls )

In a med bowl:
1 1/2 C warm water
1 TB active dry yeast

Add a sprinkle of sugar to activate yeast. let rise 3-5 minutes.

To yeast bowl add and mix with fork:
4 Cups Hot Roll Mix

now how easy is that????

Knead 5-10 minutes. Let rise in greased bowl 1 hour. roll out on floured surface into 6" X 20" rectangle. (check often for spots where dough is sticking to board) spread 1 stick soft butter over dough. sprinkle generously with Crumble Topping Mix (about 1 1/2 - 2 C). Sprinkle with raisins, if desired. Roll up tightly. Cut into 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" wide slices. Place on greased baking pan. touching or not, doesn't matter. (mine was not) Bake 375* for 13-15 minutes (light golden brown). remove from pan and cool on wire rack. glaze with white sugar frosting.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:44 pm
GT Truther

Post Re: Dehydrated Cooking
Here's a few more recipes using the mixes above. These are so quick to make, be sure to set your oven before you start.

Rolled Biscuits Makes 12 oven 425*

Combine and stir vigourously (20 strokes):
2 C Biscuit Mix
1/2 C water

Lightly flour surface with Biscuit Mix and turn all mixture onto it.
Knead to a ball and roll out to 1/2" thick. Cut using cutter or knife, dipped in flour. Place 2" apart on greased baking pan. Bake 425* for 10-12 minutes.

Breakfast Coffee Cake oven 350*

grease & flour 9"X9" pan

Combine and mix well:
3 C Biscuit Mix
1/3 C sugar
1 1/4 C water
2 tsp liquid vanilla

Spread half of batter into the prepared pan. Add slices of drained, cooked or canned apples or peaches.

Sprinkle 3/4 C Crumble Topping Mix over the fruit. Add remianing batter and top with 1/4 C Crumble Topping Mix. Bake at 350* for 40 minutes.

Note: This can also be prepared the night before, covered with plastic wrap, and put in the refrigerator. The next morning, uncover and bake as directed.

Red Lobster Garlic Rolls Makes 12-18 biscuits 400*

3 C Biscuit Mix
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/3 tsp dried parsley
1 C water

Stir vigourously until blended. Drop by teaspoonful onto greased baking pan. Bake at 400* for 10-12 minutes.

Just before biscuits are done baking, mix together 2 TB dehydrated butter powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 2 TB very hot water. (or 4 TB melted butter and 1/2 tsp garlic) Mix well. With pastry brush, brush onto tops of biscuits while still hot from oven.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 am
Site Admin

:heart Genesis! Keep 'em coming.

You are thinking about what you have stored and how to use it not only now - but in the future. Kudos! :clap :banana

I lost all my frozen and refrigerated foods after Ike basically because:

a) my initial plan was fatally flawed - if you open up your house - you speed up the freezer thawing :gah

b) lack of a sure fire plan. I had not really thought about how DARK the house would be at sunset. I had not thought about how EARLY it got so DARK. :shock:

The lack of a sure fire plan also showed up with the coffee! :embarressed Luckily, a ziploc bag and a hammer came to the rescue the first morning after Ike because all I had stored were coffee BEANS! :gah

Word to the wise - take another look at your plan and really think about the steps.

We did really well that first morning (once we figured out how to get coffee, that is). We rolled into breakfast because I had some ziploc bags already filled with easy breakfasts. Lunch was quick and easy too - just reach in the cooler (had transferred some of the more perishable items to a cooler with ice from the fridge) and grab stuff.

Dinner - uh yeah - not so much! It was DAAARRRRKKKKKKKK in the house by the time I assembled everything. Yeah, this was after I freaked out that my frozen stuff wasn't anymore!

After dinner - it was DAAARRRRKKKKKKKK in the house and I was attempting to wash dishes in the dark without cutting myself on various sharp items. :headbang

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Good job, Genesis! :clap :heart

Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 am
Site Admin

Ok for us Dummies can we have a Cookin for Dummies with these?

Like what you actually bought as in the products, I don't do dehydrated but I would store some for emergencies if I knew what to get.

Hope that made sence??

Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Gen, don't forget solar lights that are powered outside in the sun will light the inside of the house for quite a few hours. Just a thought...

Leo

Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:52 pm
GT Truther

sorry didn't post sooner.....dial up was acting up. kicking me offline all night last night.

Leo....good idea. and funny you should've brought that up. lighting. i had just made 20 lbs of candles yesterday when you wrote it. :tounge to get the most light lumens, i pour them into jars about 4" across and put in three wicks. made a few with "christmas spruce" scent for the holdiay's. actually not that bad. i've found that most 'stinks' really stink. anybody interested in making candles, and needs help...give me a pm.

ok, GTA. it's been awhile since i've bought, so you'll have to do some shopping around. the only place available to me was online. so, keep shipping costs in mind.
at the time i bought most my stuff from http://www.beprepared.com i can vouch for the service. they replaced cans that i recieved damaged for free. no problems. no hassles. everything i got is what i believed i ordered. but back then, they were more expensive on their dehydrated butter, eggs, and something else. maybe sour cream. so, i ordered those, and some mylar bags for storing in 5 gal buckets, through http://www.survivalacres.com very good service. i had a question about sealing the bags and they were quick to answer the phone and the question.

for these mixes you'll just want to order the basics. dehydrated butter, whole eggs, egg whites, sour cream. maybe some dehydrated cheddar cheese powder and i'll throw in a recipe later for whatever cheesy noodle thing's in the book. investing in a few cans of freeze-dried beef, chicken, and sausage might be a good idea too, if you can swing it. oh. i myself did a taste test using carnation instant, nido whole dried, beprepared's dried milk, and store bought 2%. i lined up 5 ppl, each had well chilled samples in pint canning jars. 2% got three votes....and beprepared's instant got two. but two of the 2% said beprepared was just as 'bout as good. and i myself thought it was quite acceptable. so i would recommend beprepared's instant milk also. if you get the milk....i HIGHLY recommend you get the pitcher mixer. has a doodly thingy inside that you pump up and down. gets it mixed up fast....no lumps. for the mixes above though, i just used the carnation instant i had on hand. i'm saving the beprepared instant milk for awhile yet.

i didn't get dehydrated shortening, as crisco in the can will last forever if kept cool. (now watch a mix in the book come up calling for it. but if it does, i'll just use regular, make smaller batches of mixes, and use it up quicker)

i just checked and for the mixes i've already mentioned and listed above...i've used up between 1/3 to a half of a #10 can of dehydrated butter. i would expect the mixes to last, at my house for 3 ppl, maybe a week and a half - 2 weeks, if that's all i had to use. (except for bread). just so you have some idea how much you might go through and order accordingly. beprepared is having a low price gauarantee. they'll match anybody's advertised price. and it looks like they also have recipes now at beprepared.com/Recipes

buy a good quality all purpose flour at the grocery store. i use king auther. no bromide. no bleach. it's one of the higher protein content flours. (some are junk flour.) their bread flours are excellant too. though i myself now grind my own bread flour using montana prairie gold wheat berries. (can't recommend this one enough) and of course, if anyone has questions about that, please just ask. glad to share what i know anytime.

i've also gone to cane sugars, for both white and brown, instead of beet sugar. beet sugar a couple years ago was going GMO.

now...if you're gardening....like ya should be if ya can manage it....get a dehydrator and make your own dried veggies. i did some cherry tomato halves this fall, put them in my lasagna yesterday....they were delicious. anyway...much cheaper and you know they're better quality than buying.

geez. listen to me. i think i'm really getting into this stuff :yamon

anything i missed? any Q's...just let me know.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:56 am
GT Truther

and oh yeah. blue, i learned from your expeierence you had. afterwards you said...get battery powered head lamps.
and i did just that. one for me. and one for DH....cuz he's gonna help. ;)

Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:16 am