It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 pm

What if Jesus Meant All That Stuff? 
Site Admin

What if Jesus Meant All That Stuff?
by Shane Claiborne
Saturday, August 13th, 2011

To all my nonbelieving, sort-of-believing, and used-to-be-believing friends: I feel like I should begin with a confession. I am sorry that so often the biggest obstacle to God has been Christians. Christians who have had so much to say with our mouths and so little to show with our lives. I am sorry that so often we have forgotten the Christ of our Christianity.

Forgive us. Forgive us for the embarrassing things we have done in the name of God. :embarressed

snip

At one point Gandhi was asked if he was a Christian, and he said, essentially, “I sure love Jesus, but the Christians seem so unlike their Christ.” A recent study showed that the top three perceptions of Christians in the U. S. among young non-Christians are that Christians are 1) antigay, 2) judgmental, and 3) hypocritical. So what we have here is a bit of an image crisis, and much of that reputation is well deserved. That’s the ugly stuff. And that’s why I begin by saying that I’m sorry.

Now for the good news.

I want to invite you to consider that maybe the televangelists and street preachers are wrong — and that God really is love. Maybe the fruits of the Spirit really are beautiful things like peace, patience, kindness, joy, love, goodness, and not the ugly things that have come to characterize religion, or politics, for that matter. (If there is anything I have learned from liberals and conservatives, it’s that you can have great answers and still be mean… and that just as important as being right is being nice.)

snip

After all, Jesus says to the religious elite who looked down on everybody else: “The tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the Kingdom ahead of you.” And we wonder what got him killed? ;)

snip
Your brother,
Shane

Read more here:http://www.redletterchristians.org/what-if-jesus-meant-all-that-stuff/

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:16 am
GT Truther

Post Re: What if Jesus Meant All That Stuff?
Not only that BlueBonnet but they TELL YOU HOW TO RUN YOUR LIFE and to me that's a big :nono they are more :evil then the gray E.ts :headbang

I gave up on all that rubbish years ago and went my own way (the Pilgrim's path or closet Christian)

We had a total CRACK-POT Christian friend who was saying defecating was a SIN Can you believe the NERVE of some people she also said Video games / movies / eating / sleeping are all EVIL and you need PROTEIN before eating a main meal WTF (I thought the main meal WAS protein) :crazy had her poor son playing Sim city all day NOW THAT IS MORE EVIL as it is Indoctrinating you to be part of their Illuminati cult and become mayor or a politician when you grow up poor kid she would not let him be a kid you know! she was a devout CATHOLIC / GARLIC HANGER :crazy she said it was to keep the demons out :crazy (I thought garlic hanging was a pagan practice)

http://www.helium.com/items/798061-home-protection-spell

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 am
Profile YIM