It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

Verse and Voice - words that speak to us in the Now 

Post Verse and Voice - words that speak to us in the Now
I get by email every day a post called "Verse and Voice" sent by Sojourners. Some of those quotes and prayers are very appropriate to the times we are living in. I am going to post some here, and invite anybody with inspiring quotes of any type to add them here as well. We'll see if this thread gets any readership.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.

- Elie Wiesel

The wolf shall live with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid, and the calf and the lion and the fatling together, and a little child shall lead them.

- Isaiah 11:6

Lord, when we weary of the journey, strengthen us by your Spirit to imagine new heavens and a new earth. Amen.

-From Common Prayer

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Verse and Voice - words that speak to us in the Now
But those who hope in the LORD will regain their strength. They will sprout wings like eagles; though they will run they will not grow weary, though they walk they will never tire.

- Isaiah 40:31

There is nothing I cannot do in the One (Christ) who strengthens me.

- Philippians 4:13

:candle

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:10 am
Profile WWW

Make YHWH your joy and He will give you your hearts desires.

Psalm 37:4

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

:clap Ruts and Sky!

I love the Elie Wiesel quote and think it is just right for our times.

He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
Mark 4:40

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:52 am

To the Jews who believed in him Jesus said:

If you make my word your home
You will indeed be my disciples

you will come to know the truth
and the trust shall set you free.

John 8:31-32

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:13 am
Profile WWW

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love tenderly, and to walk humbly with your God?

- Micah 6:8

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy
From Kennedy's Inaugural Address, 1961

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

He who walks righteously and speaks what is right, who rejects gain from extortion and keeps his hand from accepting bribes, who stops his ears against plots of murder and shuts his eyes against contemplating evil —

this is the man who will dwell on the heights, whose refuge will be the mountain fortress.

His bread will be supplied, and water will not fail him.

Isaiah 33:15-16

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 am

Lord, if we are to be afraid of anything, let it be the fear of not committing ourselves fully to you. Let us fear that the day will pass without our having lightened the load of another. Let us fear that someone will come looking for you and find only us. Amen.

-From Common Prayer

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm
Profile YIM

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do if you do not act upon them." Buddha

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 am
Profile YIM

Loving, like prayer, is a power as well as a process. It's curative. It is creative.

- Zona Gale

We create our own reality.

- Seth

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 pm
Profile YIM

Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”

- Matthew 25:37-40

The only answer in this life, to the loneliness we are all bound to feel, is community. The living together, working together, sharing together, loving God and loving our [neighbor], and living close to [God] in community so we can show our love for [God].

- Dorothy Day

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:09 am
Profile YIM

With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord; I will praise him in the midst of the throng. For [the Lord] stands at the right hand of the needy, to save them from those who would condemn them to death.
- Psalm 140:12-13
voice of the day

In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we areimplanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.

-Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956

prayer of the day

Lord, you are always weaving the things of heaven with the things of earth. You dwell among us, above us, and within us. Make us expectant of angels tarrying to do your work. Form us into eager messengers, ready to speak peace in broken communities. Amen.
- From Common Prayer

from Sojourners Verse and Voice of today

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:20 pm
Profile YIM

verse of the day

'Because the poor are despoiled, because the needy groan, I will now rise up,' says the Lord; 'I will place them in the safety for which they long.'

- Psalm 12:5

voice of the day

Every good law or case you study was once a dream. Every good law or case you study was dismissed as impossible or impractical for decades before it was enacted. Give your creative thoughts free reign, for it is only in the hearts and dreams of people seeking a better world that true social justice has a chance.

-Bill Quigley

Wed May 22, 2013 8:50 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

:heart :clap

Thanks, Ruts! Just what I needed to hear today. ;)

Wed May 22, 2013 10:12 am

verse of the day
All who believed were together and had all things in common; they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need.

-Acts 2:44-45

voice of the day
"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it."

-Helen Keller

prayer of the day

Lord, we weep with those who weep and refuse to be consoled. May our tears mix with yours in a river of justice, flowing down like mighty waters, transforming the world that is into one that ought to be. Amen.
-Common Prayer

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile YIM