It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

Water Filters 
Site Admin

Post Water Filters
I did some research and the best handheld water filter on the market today seems to be this one for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Hiker-PRO ... d_sim_sg_5

I picked one up today for my bug out gag :clap

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Post Re: Water Filters
fyi, instead of purchasing high $ replacement charcoal filters, see about buying activated charcoal in the fish aquarium supply items at walmart. hint came from the person who sold me my katadyn combo online at beprepared.com. you'll get years worth instead of a few months for the same price.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:48 am
Site Admin

Genesis wrote:
fyi, instead of purchasing high $ replacement charcoal filters, see about buying activated charcoal in the fish aquarium supply items at walmart. hint came from the person who sold me my katadyn combo online at beprepared.com. you'll get years worth instead of a few months for the same price.

Great advice Gen thank you, I have yet to find one as when I went to the store who "claimed" they had one in stock it was gone by the time I got there.

Once I get through this personal issue I plan to source one ASAP

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

The Katydyn water filters are indeed fabulous. Absolutely – and quite literally – life support.

And it is crucial for each individual – and potential group – to assess their own potential water needs and to carry sufficient filtering capacity on the road.

In that light, and because every single survival website says the same thing: i. e. You cannot have “too much” potable water...! I have taken their warning to heart and purchased the slightly-larger but still very lightweight Gravidyn model from Katadyn that uses state-of-the-art ceramic filters (note to self : buy backup filters!) - http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-endurance-series-products/katadyn-drip-gravidyn/ This one is a bit larger than the personal size knapsack model you’ve already got – whose survival value cannot be disputed – but still lightweight and if I ever really, really needed potable water for myself and others .... fabulous. I know I will not be alone in my need for potable water.

Also important/ must see: the seriously major :readthis Katdyn "Expedition” http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-endurance-series-products/katadyn-expedition/ model. A hand-operated large-capacity model worth considering as something that your local government should be stashing in quantity against real shutdown, flood or other water scarcity. It would not be stupid to urge your local government to buy a dozen, twenty or so of these – at minimum - to be kept under lock-and-key in dispersed locations (in police stations?) against almost-certain need at some point. So cheap now; so priceless later....

Worth considering also: :readthis the Big Berkey water filters: http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/ So cheap now – so priceless later!

What – I ask you – is the downside here? Think!

Cheers,

Selene

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:48 pm