It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

Rain Water Collection 
Site Admin

Post Rain Water Collection
After a ton of research on which system I wanted to acquire I decided on a quick and easy solution.

While at work a few months ago I stumbled across this guy in downtown Toronto who was selling Food Grade Quality 45 Gallon Plastic Drums...

I instantly made a u-turn and purchased 4 of them :clap

I found a really cool gutter system and finally got around to installing it this weekend, aside from a minor leak that I will fix shortly this system works flawlessly!

In one nights rainfall this barrel is one quarter full, basically to the first set of double rings :awe

This is how the system works

This is a very inexpensive way to collect Rain Water and its not that bad looking either, when the neighbors ask I just say its water for my gardens ;)

This same system is listed at Lee Valley for $110.00 plus shipping, mine cost me $45.00 per location all in including the Barrels

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,2280&p=62843

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Rain Water Collection
Heres another great rain water collection system.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Part Six

Part Seven

First Flush Drainage Modification

First flush
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First flush is the initial surface runoff of a rainstorm. During this phase, water pollution entering storm drains in areas with high proportions of impervious surfaces is typically more concentrated compared to the remainder of the storm. Consequently these high concentrations of urban runoff result in high levels of pollutants discharged from storm sewers to surface waters.

The term first flush effect refers to rapid changes in water quality (pollutant concentration or load) that occur after early season rains. Soil and vegetation particles wash into streams; sediments and other accumulated organic particles on the river bed are re-suspended, and dissolved substances from soil and shallow groundwater can be flushed into streams. Recent research has shown that this effect has not been observed in relatively pervious areas.

The term is often also used to address the first flood after a dry period, which is supposed to contain higher concentrations than a subsequent one. This is referred to as "first flush flood." There are various definitions of the first flush phenomenon

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Rain Water Collection
http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/publication ... dition.pdf

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:28 am
Profile WWW