It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

Life without Plastic 

Post Life without Plastic
Ok - as we don't have an environment/improvement section - I post this here as a new thread for the creative ways of getting rid of, or doing it without plastic. (A very special subject and close to my heart!!! Especially if one becomes aware of the plastic cesspool in the Pacific that is also killing the Albatross population on Midway Island!! Story is posted elsewhere on the board...)

Freezycup™ Stainless Steel Individual Ice Pop Mold

Introducing the Freezycup™, a plastic-free way to prepare healthy freezer pops for children. Each popsicle mold cup holds about 100 ml / 3.5 oz of your favourite fruit juice or yogourt and can be frozen individually. No need for a bulky tray. Moreover, a child can rest his or her ice lollypop in the cup until it thaws and savour the pure juice. The Freezycup™ is so versatile that when your child has grown out of it, you can use the cup as a tumbler. But of course, your child may never grow out of it.

Made of high quality food grade stainless steel 18-8 (304). Bisphenol A (BPA) free. Lead free. Phthalate free. Tested in a third party accredited laboratory to ensure compliance with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (2008) (CPSIA) and the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA).

http://lifewithoutplastic.com/boutique/-p-592.html

:hmm :clap :mrgreen:

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:09 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Life without Plastic
This goes hand in hand with the above, and it is a site I tripped over - so I guess their will be an avalanche of different options out there - but this is merely to serve as a memory jogger when we next go buy containers - go NO Plastic!

Food Storage

This category comprises the best alternatives to plastic products for food containment, be it as a reusable totable lunch box, food storage container, or receptacle for storing and re-heating left-overs.

Life Without Plastic offers safe, BPA-free products made of wood, glass, ceramic or high grade stainless steel for the whole family. Our selection includes lunch boxes, bento boxes, sandwich containers, re-heatable containers such as our stackable Asian tiffins, containers that transform into casserole dishes for camping or use in the kitchen, airtight containers, and our most recent addition, airtight glass and stainless steel food containers. We are constantly adding new and exciting products. We source our products from only the most reputable companies and are proud to offer our Sanctus Mundo line which is also known for excellence in quality. The majority of our products are made in North America, Italy, Korea, Japan and Thailand, and a select few originate from China.

http://lifewithoutplastic.com/boutique/ ... -c-66.html

:hmm

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Great ideas Sky thanks :clap

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Oh, Sky, you just brought back many happy memories of childhood. :heart

My Mother had some of those - well, obviously not exactly the same - when I was a child. She would freeze juice and Kool Aid in them.

In a time when there was no air conditioning, these were lovely, lovely treats for us on hot days.

I've been going to second hand stores and buying up refrigerator glassware to store food in. See link below:

http://www.pyrexlove.com/clear-pyrex-refrigerator-dishes-500-series/glassware/

Again, I remember growing up with these and I love them. They fit perfectly in my refrigerator and I don't spend money on plastic storage containers. I hate those things!

I put chili or chili mac (or anything containing tomato sauce) and they are instantly stained and no amount of washing gets them clean. Uck!

Not so with the Pyrex glassware. ;)

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:59 am

Wow Blue! That is such a cool plan! Yes - the second hand stores do have stacks of the Pyrex "oldies" that we can source local also. What a fine reminder and suggestion! I am discussing with DW this AM that we should do same, as we are lucky to live in an area where a lot of oldies retire from the coast - and there are tons of auctioneers and second hand goods places here.

And the older type containers had some style to them also....

:mrgreen: :clap

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:28 am
Profile WWW