It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:44 pm

Aide says Cheney had heart transplant 
Site Admin

Post Aide says Cheney had heart transplant
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Vice President Dick Cheney had a heart transplant Saturday, after five heart attacks over the past 25 years and countless medical procedures to keep him going. Cheney, 71, waited nearly two years for his new heart, the gift of an unknown donor.

An aide to Cheney disclosed the surgery after it was over, and said the ex-vice president was recovering at a Virginia hospital.

"Although the former vice president and his family do not know the identity of the donor, they will be forever grateful for this lifesaving gift," aide Kara Ahern said in a written statement that was authenticated by several of the Republican politician's close associates.

Cheney was recovering Saturday night at the intensive care unit of Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, Va., after surgery earlier in the day.

Read more here: http://www.chron.com/news/article/Aide-says-Cheney-had-heart-transplant-3432458.php

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:36 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Aide says Cheney had heart transplant
It impossible to replace an organ that does not exsist :headbang

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:55 am
Profile WWW

L2L wrote:

I love it; you hit the nail on the head, L. I also wonder if he weren't the former VP if he would have been so high on the list at his age and with his multiple risk factors. I read that he had been on the list for only a few months.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:45 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

rutsuyasun wrote:
L2L wrote:

I love it; you hit the nail on the head, L. I also wonder if he weren't the former VP if he would have been so high on the list at his age and with his multiple risk factors. I read that he had been on the list for only a few months.

We can only hope he made a deal with the devil, although hes already going to hell for his crimes

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

rutsuyasun wrote:
L2L wrote:

Funny you should ask, Ruts.

And BTW - US taxpayers paid for this, too! ;) Where or where are the outraged Tea Partiers now? :crylaugh

Quote:
Cheney too old for transplant? Bioethicist weighs in
By Art Caplan, Ph.D.

Dick Cheney has just joined a list of high-profile people, including Steve Jobs, Mickey Mantle, Evil Knievel and David Crosby who, received a transplant and thereby created a controversy. Cheney received a heart on Friday from an anonymous donor at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Virginia after a 20-month wait. What is controversial about that? Cheney is 71 years old.

He has been through numerous previous operations that indicate he has other serious medical problems. He has only been able to survive due to the implantation of a left-ventricular assist device (LVAD) — a partial artificial heart -- that has kept him going long past the point where his own heart could have kept him alive.

Nearly everyone on an LVAD winds up getting sicker and sicker and, eventually, so sick that they come off the transplant waiting list because the risk is too great.

What starts as a “bridge” to a transplant when you get an LVAD can become, the more time that passes, a final destination — you almost always die with the device. So despite his age and health problems, how was Cheney able to get a heart while many others wait?

It is concerning that a 71-year-old got a transplant. Many of those who manage to even make the waiting list for hearts die without getting one. More than 3,100 Americans are currently on the national waiting list for a heart transplant. Just over 2,300 heart transplants were performed last year, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing. And 330 people died while waiting.

According to UNOS, 332 people over age 65 received a heart transplant last year. The majority of transplants occur in 50- to 64-year-olds.

Most transplant teams, knowing that hearts are in huge demand, set an informal eligibility limit of 70.

Read more here: http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/25/10855120-cheney-too-old-for-transplant-bioethicist-weighs-in

Want to tell me that someone with only good ole Medicare would have received this heart? Nah - didn't think so.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:12 pm
GT Truther

Dick Cheney is an asshat and a BIG ONE at that!?!? why doesn't the evil SOB just Drop dead already?

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:57 pm
Profile YIM