It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am

US to stay in Afghanistan until 2024 

Post US to stay in Afghanistan until 2024
Karachi: US forces will stay in Afghanistan until 2024 under a deal aimed at reassuring the Afghan public, regional powers and insurgents that Washington will not abandon Kabul after most foreign troops withdraw.

The agreement was finalised on Sunday after months of fraught negotiations dogged by disputes between Hamid Karzai, the president, and US officials over night raids on insurgents and control of military prisons.

"I have been involved in many international negotiations. I can say without doubt, I have never encountered a tougher negotiator," said Ryan Crocker, the US ambassador, referring to the Afghan team.

con. http://ibnlive.in.com/news/us-to-stay-i ... 17-70.html

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:11 am
Profile YIM

Post Re: US to stay in Afghanistan until 2024
more from a different article:

Rangin Dadfar Spanta, Mr Karzai’s top security adviser, has said that a new strategic pact has been agreed between the U.S. and Afghanistan. Part of this pact implies that the U.S. will not use the country to launch attacks on other countries in the region, including drone strikes.
However he did stress that the U.S. will only aid Afghanistan if approved by Kabul.
Spanta said that Washington may use “diplomatic means, political means, economic means and even military means.”
The agreement included financial support to the Afghan security forces after 2014 and the U.S. will pay up to US$4 billion annually, if this funding is approved by Congress.

snip

it now seems likely that - as happened in Iraq - the U.S. will be staying longer than initially planned and anticipated.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z1t3jXnjsX

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:39 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Gotta protect that drug market ya know ;) :roll :crazy :headbang

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:58 am
Profile WWW

L2L wrote:
Gotta protect that drug market ya know ;) :roll :crazy :headbang

My first thought too, L. GOtta love those poppies, and don't forget the pathway to the rich oil fields just north of Afghanistan - no other way to get the oil out except through Afghanistan.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:58 am
Profile YIM