It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 pm

No More Dole, Tony Abbott warns the under 30's 
GT Truther

Post No More Dole, Tony Abbott warns the under 30's
Andrew Burrell From THE AUSTRALIAN wrote:
No more dole, Tony Abbott warns the under-30's

EXCLUSIVE: ANDREW BURRELL THE AUSTRALIAN APRIL 21, 2010 12:00AM

Tony Abbott wants the dole taken away from people under 30-years-old.

TONY Abbott has proposed banning the dole for people under 30 in a bid to entice the unemployed to head west and fill massive skill shortages in the booming resources sector.

The Opposition Leader made the controversial remarks during a two-hour meeting with about 15 senior resources industry leaders in Perth on Monday night.

Mr Abbott told the roundtable briefing he believed stopping dole payments to able-bodied young people would take pressure off the welfare system and reduce the need to bring in large numbers of skilled migrants to staff mining projects.

His comments were attacked last night by Australian Workers Union national secretary Paul Howes, who described them as "Hansonesque".

"If he genuinely thinks you are going to solve an economically crippling skills shortage by taking punitive measures against welfare recipients, he has clearly never lived in the real world," Mr Howes said.

"You can't just get any old Joe off the street and plonk them into a mine, and think that's going to mean they can work."

Six of the attendees confirmed yesterday that Mr Abbott had raised the idea of banning welfare payments for young people to encourage them to fill the thousands of jobs emerging in states such as Western Australia and Queensland.

"He said he was thinking more and more about it, with a view to formulating something on it," said one of the participants, who asked not to be named.

Another recalled: "He definitely said it was something he was considering as a policy."

A third executive said: "It certainly wasn't a throwaway line. He brought up the issue twice during the meeting."

Mr Abbott also told the business leaders that safety mechanisms would be needed under such a scheme to protect disabled people or those with mental health problems. And he raised the possibility that employers would need to be given funding to train the unemployed, according to those present.

Some of the business leaders were surprised by the remarks, while others were impressed Mr Abbott was considering new measures to address the labour shortages in Western Australia that threaten to crimp the next resources boom.

"I thought to myself: here is a guy who thinks outside the square," said one participant.

The Minerals Council of Australia said the number of workers in the resources sector would need to grow by about 86,000 in the next decade to maintain Australia's share of global minerals markets.

It said 31,000 of those workers would need to be skilled tradespeople.

The demand for labour is expected to be most severe in Western Australia, which has about $200 billion in resources projects either under way or in the pipeline.

This is led by the $43bn Gorgon liquefied natural gas project on Barrow Island and the planned expansion of Woodside Petroleum's Pluto gas plant near Karratha.

Among the attendees at Mr Abbott's roundtable were BHP Billiton iron ore chief executive Ian Ashby, Rio Tinto's Pilbara managing director Greg Lilleyman, Woodside general counsel Rob Cole, Fortescue Metals Group director Graeme Rowley, Gindalbie Metals chief executive Garret Dixon and Inpex's Australian head, Seiya Ito.

Mr Abbott's views echo comments he made as employment services minister in 2000 when he announced that people on the dole in South Australia's Riverland would be required to seek fruit harvest work before receiving benefits.

Last night a spokeswoman for Mr Abbott confirmed he had made the remarks about the dole to the mining leaders.

The spokeswoman said Mr Abbott had posed a question about the dole for the benefit of the argument and the debate at the meeting.

But, she said, Mr Abbott's comments did not mean the approach was Coalition policy.

This guy Tony "The Phony full of Baloney" Abbott Coalition Meat Puppet Hack is so Disconnected with the world and Lives in his own deranged World! Yes another Piece of Meat Sh*t for brains Pollie where the HELL do they find these Nutbags A$$Clowns running the whole circus

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:31 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Post Re: No More Dole, Tony Abbott warns the under 30's
Quote:
Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Dole around the world: how does Australia stack up?

Sally Whyte

Australia

Pressure is mounting on the federal government to hike Newstart payments to the unemployed. But an analysis of the unemployment benefits around the world shows Australia isn’t necessarily a terrible place to be out of work.

A single person in Australia who is “looking for paid work” (Centrelink’s euphemistic term for unemployment) is entitled to up to $492.60 a fortnight and could also qualify for $121 in rent assistance a fortnight.

Even the full Newstart allowance combined with rent assistance is $167.40 a week below the poverty line, which is updated quarterly by the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research. The most recent calculation of the Australian poverty line in October sets the minimum income at $474.20 per week including housing costs.

Australia is one of few countries where a person can remain on the dole indefinitely. Across the ditch in New Zealand the unemployed have to reapply after receiving the unemployment benefit for 12 months. A single person in New Zealand receives NZ$229.01 (A$182.74) weekly, A$127.12 less a fortnight than a job seeker on this side of the Tasman.

Australia is also one of few countries among its peers that does not charge a specific tax to employees or employers to fund unemployment benefits. In the UK, Canada, Germany and the US, employees pay to be “insured” against unemployment.

In the UK, employees pay on average 12% of their income as part of their National Insurance Contribution to be entitled to state benefits. The UK’s Jobseeker Allowance is £71 (A$108.13) weekly — significantly less than Australia’s dole, but housing benefits in the UK are more generous. Rates of housing assistance are calculated depending on location and the living status of a person, but the maximum amount for a single person is 250 pounds (A$380.74) per week.

The Canadian Employment Insurance program is not funded by the government but by premiums paid by employees and employers. In a complicated system, Canadians are only entitled to the dole if they have paid the 1.83% tax when they were employed. Their benefit is calculated at 55% of a person’s average insurable income up to C$47,400, meaning an unemployed person could receive up to C$501 (A$481.88) weekly. The period of time that a person can spend receiving the payment depends on the rate of unemployment in their province.

Unemployed Germans have access to €374 (A$473.31) monthly, only if they have previously contributed to the employment insurance scheme. This is almost half the Australian benefit, but the costs of accommodation and heating (it is Germany after all) can be paid in full “if they are reasonable”.

Although jumping through hoops at Centrelink is notoriously time-consuming and confusing, it is nothing compared to the rabbit warren of payments, taxes and food stamps in the United States. The maximum amount paid weekly changes from state to state, from US$247 (A$233) in Louisiana to a possible US$979 (A$926.47) in Massachusetts. It is unclear how many of America’s unemployed receive the full benefits in their home state as rates of payment are calculated by a person’s previous wages and employment.

In most states unemployment insurance can be claimed for a maximum of 26 weeks. Not only does the dole payment fluctuate across borders, but the taxes paid to the system and the eligibility rules to receive a payment are also state based.

The $50 a week rise in Newstart proposed by the Greens would cost the government $7.4 billion between now and 2016-17 and would leave the unemployed on the payment around $100 below the poverty line. The prospect of living on $35 a day is daunting, but perhaps not as daunting as $26 a day in New Zealand or $15 a day in Canada and Germany …

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/01/16/dole-around-the-world-how-does-australia-stack-up/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

Well, freak, you Ozzies definitely have it better than we Yanks. :mrgreen:

In my great Lone Star State, you are entitled to a maximum unemployment payment of US $426 a week for a maximum of 26 weeks.

As to Food Stamps (or SNAP benefits as they are known here):

Quote:
For most adults between the ages of 18 and 50 who do not have a child in the home, SNAP benefits are limited to 3 months in a 3-year period. The benefit period can be longer if the adult works at least 20 hours a week or is in a job or training program. Some people may not have to work to get benefits, such as those who have a disability or are pregnant.

The maximum food stamp benefit in my State for a single person is a whole, whopping US $189.00a month for 3 months. PERIOD!!

You best be able to work or you WILL go hungry.

Not much Christ in this Christian State is there?

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:35 am
GT Truther

Bluebonnet wrote:
Quote:
Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Dole around the world: how does Australia stack up?

Sally Whyte

Australia

Pressure is mounting on the federal government to hike Newstart payments to the unemployed. But an analysis of the unemployment benefits around the world shows Australia isn’t necessarily a terrible place to be out of work.

A single person in Australia who is “looking for paid work” (Centrelink’s euphemistic term for unemployment) is entitled to up to $492.60 a fortnight and could also qualify for $121 in rent assistance a fortnight.

Even the full Newstart allowance combined with rent assistance is $167.40 a week below the poverty line, which is updated quarterly by the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research. The most recent calculation of the Australian poverty line in October sets the minimum income at $474.20 per week including housing costs.

Australia is one of few countries where a person can remain on the dole indefinitely. Across the ditch in New Zealand the unemployed have to reapply after receiving the unemployment benefit for 12 months. A single person in New Zealand receives NZ$229.01 (A$182.74) weekly, A$127.12 less a fortnight than a job seeker on this side of the Tasman.

Australia is also one of few countries among its peers that does not charge a specific tax to employees or employers to fund unemployment benefits. In the UK, Canada, Germany and the US, employees pay to be “insured” against unemployment.

In the UK, employees pay on average 12% of their income as part of their National Insurance Contribution to be entitled to state benefits. The UK’s Jobseeker Allowance is £71 (A$108.13) weekly — significantly less than Australia’s dole, but housing benefits in the UK are more generous. Rates of housing assistance are calculated depending on location and the living status of a person, but the maximum amount for a single person is 250 pounds (A$380.74) per week.

The Canadian Employment Insurance program is not funded by the government but by premiums paid by employees and employers. In a complicated system, Canadians are only entitled to the dole if they have paid the 1.83% tax when they were employed. Their benefit is calculated at 55% of a person’s average insurable income up to C$47,400, meaning an unemployed person could receive up to C$501 (A$481.88) weekly. The period of time that a person can spend receiving the payment depends on the rate of unemployment in their province.

Unemployed Germans have access to €374 (A$473.31) monthly, only if they have previously contributed to the employment insurance scheme. This is almost half the Australian benefit, but the costs of accommodation and heating (it is Germany after all) can be paid in full “if they are reasonable”.

Although jumping through hoops at Centrelink is notoriously time-consuming and confusing, it is nothing compared to the rabbit warren of payments, taxes and food stamps in the United States. The maximum amount paid weekly changes from state to state, from US$247 (A$233) in Louisiana to a possible US$979 (A$926.47) in Massachusetts. It is unclear how many of America’s unemployed receive the full benefits in their home state as rates of payment are calculated by a person’s previous wages and employment.

In most states unemployment insurance can be claimed for a maximum of 26 weeks. Not only does the dole payment fluctuate across borders, but the taxes paid to the system and the eligibility rules to receive a payment are also state based.

The $50 a week rise in Newstart proposed by the Greens would cost the government $7.4 billion between now and 2016-17 and would leave the unemployed on the payment around $100 below the poverty line. The prospect of living on $35 a day is daunting, but perhaps not as daunting as $26 a day in New Zealand or $15 a day in Canada and Germany …

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/01/16/dole-around-the-world-how-does-australia-stack-up/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

Well, freak, you Ozzies definitely have it better than we Yanks. :mrgreen:

In my great Lone Star State, you are entitled to a maximum unemployment payment of US $426 a week for a maximum of 26 weeks.

As to Food Stamps (or SNAP benefits as they are known here):

Quote:
For most adults between the ages of 18 and 50 who do not have a child in the home, SNAP benefits are limited to 3 months in a 3-year period. The benefit period can be longer if the adult works at least 20 hours a week or is in a job or training program. Some people may not have to work to get benefits, such as those who have a disability or are pregnant.

The maximum food stamp benefit in my State for a single person is a whole, whopping US $189.00a month for 3 months. PERIOD!!

You best be able to work or you WILL go hungry.

Not much Christ in this Christian State is there?

Canadians get CAD $501 WEEKLY! we get our benefits FORTNIGHTLY! So I get I'm on Disability Support Pension I get about $827.10 PER FORTNIGHT only $413.55 a week but we get it paid Fortnightly NOT WEEKLY! does that put it into perspective that is just CAD$391.30 a Week! canadians get AU$529.27 a week per fortnight that would be AU$1054.54 (NICE!) that's almost the price of one of centrelinks advance pays! that takes six months to pay off at $90.10 PER FORNIGHT!

Hey L2L and Bluebonnet try living on $782.60 Per Fortnight that's paying your ALL UTILITY BILLS and groceries and everything! NOT going to farmers markets Buying Food from Your Local Gas station! this is HOW I LIVE! because of where the nearest supermarket is near Me! Plus on top of that supporting my mothers $35 pack a day smoking 7 x $35 = $245 bucks a week fortnightly that 245 x 2 = $490 now 782.60 - 490 = $292 yeah thats what I HAVE LEFT EVERY FORTNIGHT TO LIVE OFF OF! Eat for one day STARVE for 13 days! HELL YEAH!

Not to mention BILLS coming in every month! $150 internet $65 FOXTEL and $140 electricity
150 + 140 + 65 = $355 $292 - $355 CANT BE DONE! so I have to let Foxtel go for another fortnight and fob them off with EXCUSES! which leaves me with 2 DOLLARS LEFT TO MY NAME!

Hey L2L and BlueBonnet you try living on $2 for 14 days! :crylaugh :roflmao :slap plus my physical Maladies I have to contend with! I.B.S. / I.B.D. Maybe Crohn's disease and or adult COLIC AT ALL TIMES! but I have no GALLSTONES! which is weird! I also think I broke my foot 2 days ago it's really swollen after I accidently kicked my foot on that Masonite and the supermarket on top it feels so spongy :shakehead and real sore! I also broke my big toe Nail as well but it's not too bad! I've also got NOTHING FOR CHRISTMAS for me this year I just bought my sisters prezzies! I'm in so much physical agony as I write this!

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Profile YIM
GT Truther

US$979 (A$926.47) that doesn't make sense it's Au$1093.84 in Massachusetts

Use this Currency converter!

http://www.ozforex.com.au/currency-converter

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 pm
Profile YIM
GT Truther

Oh GREAT!

Peter,

Today Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey released their economic update.

They’re trying to claim their budget blowout is down to Labor’s decisions, but the facts speak for themselves.

We were promised the Coalition would pay back the debt and create 1 million jobs. Instead, the Mid Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook (MYEFO) confirms peak debt raising to $667 billion.

The MYEFO reveals a 56 per cent blow-out in the 2013-14 budget deficit of more than $17 billion compared to the Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Outlook ($30.1 billion).

These are the facts as verified by Treasury and Finance at PEFO, and now at MYEFO:

A deficit of $30.1 billion is now $47 billion – 60 percent of this blow-out is due to Abbott Government spending decisions.

Labor had a Budget that was set to return to surplus in 2016-17.

Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey don’t have a plan beyond blaming Labor.

Peak debt of $370 billion in 2016-17 now peaks at $460 billion.

Unemployment was peaking at 6.25 per cent – it is now projected to peak at 6.25 per cent and stay there for three years.

If you’d like to know more you can read my press release which details the full story on MYEFO.

Today’s Budget statement also says a lot about the Abbott Government’s values and priorities.

Joe Hockey and Tony Abbott have taken a $13.7 billion hit to the Budget bottom line over the next four years to give tax breaks to LARGE MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS, people with super balances over $2 million and for those who borrow to invest overseas.

At the same time, the Abbott Government has hurt up to 2.7 million small businesses missing out on the instant asset write-off, up to 110,000 small businesses missing out on a lower threshold for the loss carry back provisions and up to 3.6 million low and middle incomes earners now having to pay super tax on their contributions.

Joe Hockey has also cut health and medical research by more than $500m – including cutting funding to Westmead Hospital by $100m – despite promising before the election that he wouldn’t take the axe to health services.

None of these decisions aren’t in the interests of everyday Australians. Turning around and saying the budget blowout isn’t their fault is a bit rich.

It’s important that you and I don’t let them get away with that, so if you get the chance please let your friends and family know what’s really happening.

With thanks,

Chris Bowen
Shadow Treasurer

__________________________________________________________________________________

Hockey's $17 Billion Budget Blow-out
Chris Bowen MP
Shadow Treasurer & Member for McMahon

Tony Burke MP
Manager of Opposition Business, Shadow Minister for Finance & Member for Watson

Treasurer Joe Hockey’s first Budget statement shows Mr Hockey overseeing a $17 billion blow-out in the 2013-14 budget deficit since the election and unemployment staying at 6.25 per cent for three years.

The deficit blow-out amounts to $167 million for each and every one of the 101 days since September 7.

Australians went to the election being promised the Coalition would pay back the debt and create one million jobs.

Joe Hockey and Tony Abbott repeatedly stated “that if debt is the problem, more debt is not the answer”.

Again we see the Government doing one thing in Opposition, and doing something completely different in Government.

MYEFO confirms peak debt rising to $460 billion and the Budget balance deteriorating by $68.1 billion in just three months – including additional spending of $13.7 billion in just
101 days since the government was elected - with unemployment rising to and staying at 6.25 per cent from 2014-15.

The Abbott Government has today paved the way for deep cuts, including in areas like welfare, health and education – areas that the Coalition promised would be immune from cuts before the election.

The MYEFO reveals a 56 per cent blow-out in the 2013-14 budget deficit as against the
Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Outlook ($30.1 billion). Of the $17 billion blow-out this financial year, 60 percent is due to the decisions of this government.

This equates to a blowout of the Budget deficit $1.2 billion per week.

The MYEFO shows government spending contributing to the Budget blow-out at the same time as government revenues continue to deteriorate. Despite this, the Coalition continues to plough ahead with irresponsible spending commitments like it’s expensive Paid Parental Leave scheme and maintaining generous superannuation tax breaks for 16,000 of the wealthiest Australians.

The increase in the 2013-14 Budget deficit was driven by the decisions of this Government including an $8.8 billion grant to the RBA and tax breaks for those with super balances over $2 million, as well as a deterioration in nominal GDP since the election.

As Joe Hockey has acknowledged previously, the PEFO is the true state of the books, and MYEFO is the new Government’s first Budget statement.

These are the facts as verified by Treasury and Finance at PEFO, and now at MYEFO:

a deficit of $30.1 billion is now $47 billion under Joe Hockey.
peak debt of $370 billion in 2016-17 now peaks at $460 billion on Joe Hockey’s watch.
unemployment was peaking at 6.25 per cent – it is now projected to peak at 6.25 per cent and stay there for three years under Joe Hockey
One week after doing a deal with the Greens to allow unlimited debt, the Coalition has not outlined any fiscal plan. We saw no fiscal rules or medium-term fiscal strategy today, despite Joe Hockey claims of a Budget emergency before the election.

Australians, businesses and financial markets will remain in the dark about the Government’s Budget intentions for another five months.

This Budget statement also says a lot about the Abbott Government’s values and priorities.

Joe Hockey and Tony Abbott have taken a $13.7 billion hit to the Budget bottom line to give, among other concessions, tax breaks to large multinational corporations, big tax breaks to people with super balances over $2 million and tax breaks for those who borrow to invest overseas.

At the same time, the Abbott Government has hurt up to 2.7 million small businesses missing out on the instant asset write-off, up to 110,000 small businesses missing out on a lower threshold for the loss carry back provisions and up to 3.6 million low and middle incomes earners now having to pay super tax on their contributions.

Coalition spending in MYEFO

MYEFO also confirms that the Coalition have not offset nearly $14 billion of spending.

This is in stark contrast to Labor’s fiscal strategy of offsetting all new spending commitments.

MYEFO confirms the Government will pay $8.8 billion to the Reserve Bank this financial year, a decision that will increase interest costs by more than $1 billion over the forward estimates.

A decision that remains shrouded in secrecy, a decision never justified to the Australian public, with Joe Hockey refusing to release any correspondence from the Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia.

The Coalition has blamed this blowout on Labor. This is despite Labor’s policy being costed independently by PEFO prior to the election under Peter Costello’s Charter of Budget Honesty.

Under the Charter of Budget Honesty, Labor had a Budget that was set to return to surplus in 2016-17.

TUESDAY, 17 DECEMEBER 2013

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:41 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

I think you misunderstood my post, Freak.

I am very sympathetic to your plight and I think most/all governments should do more for folks on disability.

My nephew suffered a catastrophic brain injury last year due to an accidental gun shot through his left eye. His family was very fortunate that the US government rapidly provided his family with disability benefits thanks, in large part, to Gabby Giffords and the increased awareness in the US of traumatic brain injury.

Most folks in the US requesting disability payments are forced to file and re-file numerous times without success.

Simply because you are disabled or temporarily unemployed, doesn't mean you need to suffer in complete, abject poverty, IMHO.

Nor, as is the case in Australia, should one be forced to move across the country to find work. If you want to move to an area with better job opportunities well that is one thing. But to force you to move? Nope. Don't believe in that for a minute.

Moving is an expensive proposition - at least here in the US. How many long term unemployed folks have the money to move? Not many.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:41 am
GT Truther

Bluebonnet wrote:

I am very sympathetic to your plight and I think most/all governments should do more for folks on disability.

My nephew suffered a catastrophic brain injury last year due to an accidental gun shot through his left eye. His family was very fortunate that the US government rapidly provided his family with disability benefits thanks, in large part, to Gabby Giffords and the increased awareness in the US of traumatic brain injury.

Moving is an expensive proposition - at least here in the US. How many long term unemployed folks have the money to move? Not many.

Yes Moving here is Extremely expensive and I swear the removalists DELIBERATELY break things. did they manage to save your nephew's left eye? That would have been Very, Very Painful! I'm very sorry that happened. Governments Won't do more because it "Costs too Much" Like they Can't afford it! with multi-trillions going into their coffers! :flame :evil yesterday Our damn government we have now Scrapped Labors GONSKI reforms for public Schooling! our public schools are Falling Apart!

Also how old was your nephew when this occurred and How did it happen?

Things like what happened to your Nephew are the reason I HATE guns, They are only made for one thing HARMING / KILLING people!

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:13 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

fr33kSh0w2012 wrote:
Bluebonnet wrote:

Yes Moving here is Extremely expensive and I swear the removalists DELIBERATELY break things. did they manage to save your nephew's left eye? That would have been Very, Very Painful! I'm very sorry that happened. Governments Won't do more because it "Costs too Much" Like they Can't afford it! with multi-trillions going into their coffers! :flame :evil yesterday Our damn government we have now Scrapped Labors GONSKI reforms for public Schooling! our public schools are Falling Apart!

Also how old was your nephew when this occurred and How did it happen?

Things like what happened to your Nephew are the reason I HATE guns, They are only made for one thing HARMING / KILLING people!

Last year, Peter, my nephew (who was 34 at the time) was deer hunting with his wife and his youngest child (age 4). He was horsing around shooting a .44 caliber hand gun that did not have a safety. They were getting ready to leave and go back to their RV when he bent over and the gun fell out of his shoulder holster, hit the deck and shot him. His wife and daughter had to drive frantically for 10 miles before she could get cell phone reception to call for help.

He was in a safari stand on top of the pick up truck. This is a contraption that is mounted into the bed of the truck and is elevated about 10-12 feet in the air. It took 7 men to get him down.

He was taken by ambulance to the nearest small town, stabilized there and sent via helicopter to a more advanced hospital. A .44 caliber bullet is about the size of your thumb.

Basically he blew out the frontal lobe on the left side of his brain. In addition, he had considerable brain swelling due to the bullet fragments ricocheting inside his skull. He lost his eye, had a 4 inch piece of skull removed and had some serious damage to his sinus cavity. He will have surgery on Friday to repair all of this.

He is unable to walk, talk, or swallow. He has been in a nursing home and in hospitals for the last year. We are hopeful that after this surgery he will go to rehabilitation and may be able to walk soon.

Yes, gun safety has always been a priority in my family. My nephew and my brother were well schooled in gun safety. It just is one of those freakish things that happens sometimes.

It has been a very traumatic time for my family this past year. Rick (my nephew) has a son who is 9 and a daughter who is now 5 - she was not in school last year and was with him when the accident happened.

Kiss your loved ones and tell them that you love them - don't delay because ya never know what might happen. :heart :candle

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:56 pm
Site Admin

How did I get drawn into this debate :hmm :roflmao :slap

I think your numbers are off Peter, Canadians do NOT get over $500 a week unless your speaking of unemployment's Insurance and you only get that for a maximum of 10 months.

Individuals on disability are dealt with on a case by case basis.

Hope that clears up some confusion

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:23 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

L2L wrote:

I think your numbers are off Peter, Canadians do NOT get over $500 a week unless your speaking of unemployment's Insurance and you only get that for a maximum of 10 months.

Thanks L2L! it wasn't me who said that it was Sally Whyte's article that Blue posted!

I was thinking what Tax system you guys had that would warrant C$501 don't you guys have a G.S.T. or V.A.T. over there I've heard you do?

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:47 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

fr33kSh0w2012 wrote:
L2L wrote:

Thanks L2L! it wasn't me who said that it was Sally Whyte's article that Blue posted!

I was thinking what Tax system you guys had that would warrant C$501 don't you guys have a G.S.T. or V.A.T. over there I've heard you do?

We have huge taxes here in Canada Freak that's what pays for our universal healthcare that everyone raves about.

Here in Ontario we pay 13% HST on all items purchased, plus we pay Federal Income Taxes (based on your income it could be as high as 50% :awe ) plus we pay Annual property Taxes again depends on the size and worth of your home, mine for example are $5900.00 per year :scared

Yes we are taxed out of the Ying Yang!!!!! :flame :rant :crazy :censor :headbang

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Oh poor L! :crylaugh

In my lovely state, we don't have an income tax so we pay 8.5% sales tax on goods and services.

We also pay Federal Income Tax on our taxable income - same as Canada.

We also pay property taxes. The good news is that once you are over 65 in my state, you are exempted from school taxes. My property taxes went from $6,000/yr to $2300/yr when East Texas turned 65. :yamon

:mrgreen:

You can thank your taxpayers for your universal healthcare, cheap drugs, good highways, good schools, etc., etc., etc., and so forth and so on.

Oh - also for those great Mountie uniforms! :crylaugh :spit :slap :roflmao :cadball

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 pm
GT Truther

L2L wrote:
fr33kSh0w2012 wrote:
L2L wrote:

We have huge taxes here in Canada Freak that's what pays for our universal healthcare that everyone raves about.

Here in Ontario we pay 13% HST on all items purchased, plus we pay Federal Income Taxes (based on your income it could be as high as 50% :awe ) plus we pay Annual property Taxes again depends on the size and worth of your home, mine for example are $5900.00 per year :scared

Yes we are taxed out of the Ying Yang!!!!! :flame :rant :crazy :censor :headbang

same here with our so called G.S.T. our GST started out at 10% but it's sky rocketed!

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:37 am
Profile YIM