It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 am

3.6-magnitude quake rattles D.C. area 
Site Admin

Post 3.6-magnitude quake rattles D.C. area
A 3.6-magnitude earthquake struck near the Gaithersburg, Maryland, area just after 5 a.m. ET Friday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The center of the quake was about 20 miles northwest of Washington, the USGS said.

"It was really loud, like a plane flying really low. I had never felt anything like it," said Anne Ngunjiri, 30, of Gaithersburg. "I was jolted out of bed. All my neighbors woke up. After it passed, I thought it could be an earthquake, and lay in bed hoping there were no aftershocks."

Judy Rudolph, 64, said she was writing e-mails in bed in Rockville, Maryland, when her house started to shake. "My first reaction was the noise.... I thought it was an explosion," she said. She said she'd never felt anything like it in her 31 years living there.

The last earthquake in Maryland occurred on October 8, 2007, according to the USGS website. It was a 1.7-magnitude quake about 5 miles northwest of Baltimore.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/16/3-7-magnitude-quake-strikes-maryland/?hpt=T2

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:56 am
GT Truther

Post Re: 3.6-magnitude quake rattles D.C. area
DD lives in germantown, the epicenter of the quake. her comment was that when it woke her up she thought it was a big truck rumbling by, and didn't think any different until reports started coming out on the media.

her biggest complaint was the baby and his older sister woke up too, and stayed up. it was about 2:30 in the afternoon when she was begging for a nap time for everybody. lol

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:28 pm
Site Admin

Same thing happened here last month Gen, woke me from a much needed afternoon sleep but ours was a bit bigger.

First one that I have ever felt :scared

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Yep it's like KA-BOOM WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE, WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE, WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE RUMBLE AS HOUSE SNAPS IN HALF!! SCARY YES!!! :scared

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:48 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

L2L wrote:
Same thing happened here last month Gen, woke me from a much needed afternoon sleep but ours was a bit bigger.

yeah, i know about your quake, L.

because i haven't taken the time to look it up, my question is....how close was the epicenter of your quake to ANJOU?
....you do remember "anjou", don't you? :wavey

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:17 pm
Site Admin

Roughly a couple hundred miles Gen

Genesis wrote:
L2L wrote:

yeah, i know about your quake, L.

because i haven't taken the time to look it up, my question is....how close was the epicenter of your quake to ANJOU?
....you do remember "anjou", don't you? :wavey

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:25 am
Profile WWW

It's been about eight years since I have felt an earthquake. We don't feel too many of them coming from the coastal region, we are too far away. Though we had a small Volcano start about three hours north of here. It was just a baby, start splewing stuff out of the flat earth and went on for about a month, I guess there must be a small mound there now, until or if it ever starts again.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am
Profile WWW