It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm

Possible tornado hits Midland trailer park but injuries said 
Site Admin

Post Possible tornado hits Midland trailer park but injuries said
Not a huricane but we dont have a Tornado section... Frist the quake and then this, it's been a busy day in Ontario..

Possible tornado hits Midland trailer park but injuries said to be minor

Kirby Rowsell sent in this photo to My Breaking News from Midland.

View larger image

Ruth Anderson has sent in this photo of the damage in Midland.

MIDLAND, Ont. — There were reports of significant damage but only minor injuries Wednesday after a possible tornado struck the central Ontario community of Midland.

Smith's Camp, a trailer park in the heart of Midland, was hit by the storm shortly after 6 p.m. ET.

While an air ambulance was dispatched from Toronto a spokesman said it was cancelled "due to minor injuries."

A hospital spokeswoman, Jackie McLauchlin, said a few ambulances had arrived but they were not anticipating a large number of casualties.

A woman reached at the camp says it was the seasonal section that was hit, not the mobile homes.

"I heard that one person was taken to the hospital but I don't know about anybody else," said the camp employee, who only wanted to be identified as Karen.

"The owner's son came up and said a tornado had gone through and damaged the summer camp. So there are about 50 to 60 trailers that are damaged, crushed."

Provincial police said they had no reports of injuries, but added numerous roads in the area were closed because of downed trees and power lines.

Emergency Management Ontario urged people in the areas bordered by Penatanguishine to the north, Barrie to the south, Collingwood to the west, and Orillia to the east to immediately take shelter.

The red alert required everyone in the area, including motorists and boaters, to go indoors immediately.

Jay Dorion at a busy Boston Pizza near the trailer park said the storm went through quickly.

"It went right beside our building, it was crazy," he said.

A few transport trucks on the highway were knocked over and the trees around the restaurant were bent over, he added.

"It didn't look that dark and then it got really dark, and the wind picked up, and the rain picked up and you couldn't see outside," he said.

Environment Canada said radar indicates a severe rotating storm likely produced tornadoes in the Midland and Washago areas.

There were also reports of funnel clouds near Orillia, Ont.

The tornado warning for Orillia and Washago was called off shortly before 9 p.m., but a warning for the Peterborough area carried into the evening.

Sandy, who answered the phone at Scully's Crab Shack in Midland, was frantically dealing with the storm's aftermath.

"Oh geez, nobody has power in Midland except for me," she said, sounding out of breath.

"I saw a Honda (dealership) down, all their cars and all their windows smashed out... I heard from other people that houses and windows (were) knocked out," she said, saying she had to go, and quickly hanging up.

Last August a young boy was killed in Durham, about 40 kilometres west of Midland, when a tornado smashed into the town.

Eleven-year-old Owen McPherson was killed by debris when the twister pummelled a conservation area north of the town.

Durham and Vaughan, just north of Toronto, were the hardest hit by the string of twisters that barrelled across the province.

Rows of houses in Vaughan were destroyed and a tornado also touched down in nearby Newmarket and Milton, northwest of Toronto.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CT ... b=CP24Home

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm
Profile WWW