It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

THE 72-HOUR SURVIVAL KIT 
Site Admin

Post THE 72-HOUR SURVIVAL KIT
THE 72-HOUR SURVIVAL KIT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This survival kit should be ready in the event that it is needed.
Place it in a safe spot away from the house in a shed or the trunk of a vehicle.
It contains the essential things that you will need to live for 3 days.
You can design it to fit your needs but it should contain the following as a minimum:

Bottled water (3 gallons per person)
Water filter and purification tablets
Food (non-perishable) little or no cooking required
Camping plates and utensils
Vitamins and energy food bars, salt, honey
Backpacker's cooking stove and fuel
Flashlight, spare batteries and spare bulb
Candles and matches
First aid kit, drugs, extra eyeglasses
Emergency medical book
Seasonal clothing (rain gear, jacket, boots, etc.)
Tool box, pry bar, pliers, screwdriver, hatchet, etc.
Folding camp shovel (for latrine and garbage)
Pocket knife/leather man (multipurpose, sharp)
ABC fire extinguisher
Road flares
Local area maps
Tissues, toilet paper, sanitary napkins
Soap, toothbrushes, personal care kit
Plastic, foil, emergency space/wool blanket
Sleeping bag
Battery or solar powered radio
Cash
Plastic tubing for siphoning gasoline
Keep all in a plastic container with a tight lid

http://members.tripod.com/~Sidlinger/kit.html

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: THE 72-HOUR SURVIVAL KIT
I saw this over at Survial Mom's site and I thought I would share it, I thought my car kit had alot WOW...

I consider the Vehicle 72 Hour Kit to be an essential part of being prepared for emergencies.

To get started on your own Vehicle 72 Hour Kit, you’ll need some type of container that will fit in the back of your minivan or SUV or in the trunk of your car. I chose a Rubbermaid clear plastic bin, the type that is designed to fit under beds. It’s the perfect width for our vehicle, and I like the fact that I can see what’s inside. It also holds a lot.

The typical 72 Hour Kit, sometimes called a Bug-Out Bag, is stored at home and ready to grab as you run out the door in case of an evacuation. Since we’re building a Kit for your vehicle, we want it filled with items we’ll need if stranded somewhere.

You can find numerous lists online of what should be in a 72 Hour Kit, but since I’m a mom, and I pretty much always have the kids with me, my own list is a little different. Here’s what I’ve packed. A lot of these items are available through The Ready Store, and I’ve included links.

Sanitation (With kids, you just have to start here.)
A 4-pack of toilet paper, flattened (Take the center cardboard tube out to make it as flat as possible. Can hardly imagine civilized life without toilet paper.)
Baby wipes
Small box of Kleenex
Hand sanitizer
Bar of soap
Clorox wipes (Germs never take a vacation.)
A few plastic grocery bags stuffed into another grocery bag
Toothbrushes and toothpaste
Dental floss
Tampons/feminine protection (With my luck… :::sigh:::)
paper towels

Sustenance (Kids will quickly panic if they think you’re out of food, but whatever you pack, make sure it’s something your kids will eat.)
Beef jerky or something similar
Trail mix
Shelled sunflower seeds
Small cans of food, such as fruit, ravioli, tuna
Protein bars and granola bars
High calorie energy bars (Handle these with care. High energy may be the last thing your kids need!)
Hard candies (Offer a prize for whoever can make their Lifesaver last the longest!)
Packets for flavoring water
Can opener, unless all your cans have a pop-top
Plastic forks, spoons and knives, one set per person. (Check out this handy set at PamperedChef.)

Entertainment (After everyone has eaten and gone to the bathroom, then what??)
A read-aloud book ( Should be something entertaining for the whole family with plenty of chapters. I packed Journey to the Center of the Earth and Charlotte’s Web.)
Small Bible (This is more for my own sanity than that of the kids!)
Paper and pens/pencils
Deck of cards. (Think “War”, “Go Fish” and math flashcards. If you’re stranded for very long, your kids will invent their own games!)
Single-use digital camera (Not only good for entertainment, but it might come in handy to document your emergency situation.)
Small binoculars
Sharpie (Drawing fake mustaches on each other should keep the kids busy for a couple of minutes, and you’ll be grateful for this if you have to leave a note on your vehicle.)
Glo-sticks (Great value: entertainment and emergency light in one!)
Ibuprofen (For me.)
Ear plugs (Again, for me.)

Hard-Core Survival
Emergency blankets
Fleece blankets (Cheapest way to get these? Buy two yards of any fleece print at a fabric store. Instant blanket. Bulky, but can be stowed beneath a seat.)
Light sources (Headlamps are worth their weight in gold, but also have a traditional flashlight or two. These can be stored in a glove compartment or other niche in your vehicle.)
Rain ponchos
Duct tape
Hand and foot warmers (Small, stashable)
Rope (Check out brand name Paracord for top quality.)
Knife (A cheapie pocket knife is better than nothing, but you’ll be grateful if you pack something sturdier.)
Battery/solar-powered emergency radio
Ground cover (I packed two large heavy-duty plastic tablecloths.)
Work gloves
Extra batteries for anything battery powered in your Kit
Umbrella
Waterproof matches
Whistle
Water purification tablets
Small portable water filter
Mirror for signaling
Small, sturdy shovel (Check out a collapsible shovel if space is tight.)
Two heavy duty black trash bags
An emergency radio (If your car battery is dead, you’ll have no way of keeping up with weather reports or road updates.)

Medical Emergencies (With kids, need I say more?)
Basic First Aid Kit from Wal-Mart, price $9
Children’s pain relief medication and dispenser
Adult pain relief medication
QuickClot (This product quickly stops bleeding in the case of a serious wound.)
Benadryl
Aspirin
Small bottle of bleach
Thermometer
Sunblock
Medical gloves and face masks
Tweezers
First Aid reference book
Super Glue

Miscellaneous
Ziploc-style bags (Just store some of your items in different sized bags so you’ll have them already packed.)
Rubber bands
A bungee cord or two
A cell phone charger. Unless you know that you know there’s one elsewhere in the car.
Comb/hairbrush
Small scissors
Sewing kit
Cloth sheet
A couple of compact nylon bags and a nylon backpack (If we have to leave our vehicle, we’ll need something for carrying our supplies.)
Money in small bills, along with plenty of change (If nothing else, this will help greatly with bribing your children to be nice to each other!)

In addition to storing things in the plastic bin, I took a long, hard look at the Tahoe to find other nooks and crannies where I could put additional supplies. A large city map book, along with maps of neighboring states, is in a back seat pocket, and there are two Gymboree baby blankets rolled up and stored beneath the back seat.

I also have several 2-liter bottles filled with water stashed beneath the back seat. I’m not so sure the water/plastic bottle/heat is a good combination, so when we leave the house, I always make sure we have a handful of fresh water bottles with us. However, if the stored water was all we had, we’d drink it until we could get fresh water. Even if we don’t drink the stored water, it can be used for washing grubby hands and faces.

It’s recommended to have a gallon of water on hand per person, per day. It would be pretty difficult to keep that much water stored in your vehicle. One option, in addition to the 2-liter bottles, is a 5-gallon collapsible water bottle or two.

http://thesurvivalmom.com/2010/03/28/do ... -hour-kit/

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 pm
Profile WWW