It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

Prepping From The Golden Thread 
GT Truther

Post Prepping From The Golden Thread
recall15 wrote:
Hello MK
Despite that G1.9+0.3 is just 60 AU’s... view from Chandra

The one that will triger an ELE event First and the one that will give full atentions is now less than .9 AU´s and heading in Earth Direction...

see it with no special hardware from Earth @Dec 18th 10:23am GMT

hmm, the question which many will be pondering can be spelt out in three letters... 'ETA' ?

OK, hopefully its not on collision course (erm, at least one VERY much hopes not :scared ) but the assumption is that its going to pass us by and cause some 'excitement' for those of us who reside on the planetary surface.

This year? 2012/2013?

Is it time to fill the storehouse, whilst the shops still have food on their shelves?

Or is it best not to know until the info goes mainstream?

Simon

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 pm
GT Truther

Post Re: The Golden Thread, Volume 2009 5.1
Hi, Simon –

You asked:

Simon wrote:
Is it time to fill the storehouse, whilst the shops still have food on their shelves?

FWIW, every person comes to this understanding in their own time, and in their own way. It took me many years – most of this life, actually – to come to terms with the real possibility of the return of Planet X to our solar system in our lifetime. But having done so – or at least accepted the high probability if not the certainty of its impending approach (ETA unknown) or at least of some other high-probability disruption in the foreseeable future – I began directing my thoughts toward making some reasonable preparations for myself and my loved ones.

Let me just say that good preparations take time – and much planning, learning and thought. History already teaches us via repeated wars, famines, hurricanes and other disasters that you won’t be able to dash around grabbing a few things off (already emptied) store shelves when it finally becomes clear to all that something is very, very wrong. It will be w-a-a-a-a-y too late then. And everyone’s situation is different – you have to consider yours, and your particular needs.

So while you may be ‘set on stun’ at the moment, use this time to begin your research, to begin taking stock of how you’ll respond and what you’ll need when TSHTF. Think. It's natural to feel overwhelmed at first. Start small.

• Start with the concept of ‘making do’ in a simple basic power outage or disaster that leaves you and your family without food, water, heat, or other power beyond what you have on hand right now for, say, three or four weeks. What will you need? Should you stay put – or will you need to leave? Where will you go? How? What if it isn't available?

• And, when you’ve figured that out, begin lengthening the time of ‘coping’ from months into a year or more. What else will you need to have – or know?

• Start by keeping a full pantry or well-stocked home larder now– begin to store what you eat and eat what you store. Grow your thinking from there.

• Consider your water supply if the tap turns off – how will you get, filter and keep potable water? How many days supply do you have on hand?

• How will you stay warm in the winter or cool in the heat?

• Etc. Etc. Begin by thinking, and planning. There’s no need to go running out and spending a lot of money wildly – think and plan first. Buy stuff on sale. Learn as you go. Having something to fall back on is always better than nothing at all.

• Use this time wisely. After all it’s much, much better to be months or even years ahead in your preparations than even one day too late......

All best wishes,
Selene

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm
GT Truther

simple simon wrote:
--------- 'ETA' ?

OK, hopefully its not on collision course (erm, at least one VERY much hopes not :scared ) but the assumption is that its going to pass us by and cause some 'excitement' for those of us who reside on the planetary surface.

This year? 2012/2013?

Simon

=====================

Simon, I love the way you put that...."cause some excitement..."

and YES, if you are going to, it is time to store food, if you have not done so already. If I were you, I would plan for about 2 years minimum----per person. I bought "extra" in small amounts every time I shopped, using Selene's store what you eat, eat what you store methodology, for about a year. It feels better even in my uncertainty, that it's there. At this point I am nowhere near my 2 years per person, but I have one-heck-of-a-good-start.

Lynn

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:13 pm
Site Admin

Simon - All the suggestions above are great and there are some excellent threads here to help you prep.

http://www.thegoldenthread.info/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=19

Yes, most of them are geared to avian influenza - but the strategy works either way.

I would encourage you to check out these threads:

What to Prep if you have 24 hours

The 72-hour survival kit

Listening to advice from a katrina survivor

100 items that disappear first in a disaster.

The first thing to prep is your mind. Once you get your mind around your disaster of choice, you can then begin to think rationally and devise a strategy that works for YOU.

Because I live in Hurricane Country I begin to prep for June 1 now. Each month when I go to the store:

Week 1 - I add a can of veggies, a can of soup, and a can of fruit to the grocery list for the week.

Week 2 - I will add a bottle of propane (for my stove, lantern, etc), some medications or new items to the first aid kit, crackers, jam, jelly, honey.

Week 3 - Water, water, water

Week 4 - I will add salt, pepper, condiments, yeast, flour, etc.

Then I begin again the next month. So by the time June 1 arrives, I don't have to go to the grocery, Sam's, Walmart, etc. with the hysterical masses. :roll

Unlike some here, I don't prep for a year or two - that is my personal choice. I have enough preps for two people for 6 months and can easily stretch it to 9-12 months with some severe rationing.

Good luck! :wavey

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:39 pm
GT Truther

Lynnwood wrote:

:nono Has someone forgotten she lives in earthquake country? Shame on you. Put all that glass stuff off the upper shelves and on the floor and away from those concrete blocks lil' missy....Might want to mark all those lovely cans with marksalot marker pull dates and contents too... just sayin' :clap

That's sooooo beautiful though...(other than that...lol) :elephant

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:28 pm
GT Truther

Grist von Zweifel wrote:
Lynnwood wrote:

:nono Has someone forgotten she lives in earthquake country? Shame on you. Put all that glass stuff off the upper shelves and on the floor and away from those concrete blocks lil' missy....Might want to mark all those lovely cans with marksalot marker pull dates and contents too... just sayin' :clap

That's sooooo beautiful though...(other than that...lol) :elephant

Grist, that photo is a few weeks old, and the shelves are always in motion...!! (being reorganized) All the glass has been moved to another storage area. Also, all the boards are anchored - bracketed to the walls -- I figured that will hold the bricks in place. Now, all the light stuff is at the top, and the shelves are almost entirely canned goods. I have expanded... ;) I am working on a way to keep the cans ON the shelves in an Earthquake, like some kind of netting I could easily slip a hand through and pull out a can or two like I do every day (I EAT off the shelves, it feels like a store when you stand in front of it.)... any ideas?

As far as marking cans, I buy cases now and restock an area every time I add and rotate old to the front and am marking some cans, yes... I have only had a few containers of Soy Milk go bad, as in become unusable, but now I stagger my purchases better. Also, I use the information posted here as a real-life guide
http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 52010.html

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm
GT Truther

My recommendations I doubt you'll like. Stop going vertical altogether. Believe me, as is it's all going to wind up in a broken mess/pile on the floor after the first earthquake. Buildings fall down. Your shelves are doomed. Your plastic bags of legumes and pasta are too fragile, your liquids and labels and dry goods too close and too high off the deck. You need to get large stackable rubbermaid style tubs and trash cans and 5 gal seal-able buckets that can be stacked at or near ground level and able to be quickly loaded in your vehicle for bug-out or hiding deeper in or underneath your house. It would take you precious hours to repack that lovely larder milady. Think low to the ground, a little less flagship-like and quickly mobile. Out of sight of curious neighbors and onlookers NOW would be very wise as well. Things are going to get unfriendly between the "haves" and the "have-nots" in coming days. You just graduated to well advertised (window beside stash) "have" status. I'm sorry to be the trumpet of doomish note, but we're talking survival my friend. Fearsome words for a fearsome world.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:08 pm
GT Truther

Hi, Lynnwood!

Wow, what a gorgeous stash! I’m envious. But, like the others, a few (hopefully helpful) comments for one and all, since we’re talking about preps for everyone here, and your shelves are an excellent example:

You asked:

Lynnwood wrote:
I am working on a way to keep the stuff ON the shelves, like some kind of netting I could easily slip a hand through and pull out a can... any ideas?

From my experience in sailing rough seas (equivalent in some ways to strong earthquake rock ‘n’ roll), I’d nail/bolt a 2” wide strip of “sea rail/molding/trim” along the front of each shelf, about 2-3” high, to prevent its contents from pitching onto the floor as the room rolls in extremis. (Truly serious sailors use cupboard doors that ram shut with heavy locks.) Netting might catch stuff, but I’d wonder if all the stuff it caught “off shelf” might not actually be so heavy that the weight might pull the shelf over anyway? Dunno. I have a stash of duct tape prepped to wind along the front of my shelves as the wind rises....

When things at sea start to move in a storm, boy, they can really move. And I’ve learned that anything that might be harmed by being pitched onto the floor should just be placed onto the floor at the outset, because that’s where it will end up anyway. (And, of course, braced to keep from rolling/sliding into destruction.)

Always ask yourself: Could I toss this thirty feet and still have it survive? It's a good - if very tough - test. Anything heavy is always better on the floor. Anything above your head is a missile waiting to fly into your skull or someplace you don’t want broken. Bolt other wall stuff onto the wall, otherwise. But you know that.

Lots to think about, isn’t it?

All best and thanks for the great photo,

Selene

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:38 pm
GT Truther

Grist von Zweifel wrote:
My recommendations I doubt you'll like. Stop going vertical altogether. Believe me, as is it's all going to wind up in a broken mess/pile on the floor after the first earthquake. Buildings fall down. Your shelves are doomed. Your plastic bags of legumes and pasta are too fragile, your liquids and labels and dry goods too close and too high off the deck. You need to get large stackable rubbermaid style tubs and trash cans and 5 gal seal-able buckets that can be stacked at or near ground level and able to be quickly loaded in your vehicle for bug-out or hiding deeper in or underneath your house. It would take you precious hours to repack that lovely larder milady. Think low to the ground, a little less flagship-like and quickly mobile. Out of sight of curious neighbors and onlookers NOW would be very wise as well. Things are going to get unfriendly between the "haves" and the "have-nots" in coming days. You just graduated to well advertised (window beside stash) "have" status. I'm sorry to be the trumpet of doomish note, but we're talking survival my friend. Fearsome words for a fearsome world.

I agree. I am buying large totes as fast as I can afford them or find at the Goodwill, but am focusing on the food primarily---for now. And, as you mentioned above, I have other options as well for storage at or under ground level. :cool I load a single container with a variety of items so all items are "spread out" and each container will have surprises. Note, I have a lot of canned fruit which I am told I will appreciate later---as it will seem like dessert.

Also, my water heater was just replaced and is 10 gallons larger. I also buy water containers when I can afford them. I watch "Craig's List" religiously. People give away food, storage containers, and survival usability items all the time!

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm
GT Truther

As an addendum my comments above,

General principles for securing stuff:

• Securing objects/boxes tightly in place with no wiggle room is always preferable to giving them any leeway to slide, slip or move, no matter how small the space.

• When objects can move or slide, they pick up momentum according to their weight, making their impact into the next solid object greater and cumulative – and ouch! You’ve got two things broken. Or a flying missile. Or a wall of disaster.

• Always consider the weight and potential momentum of all the stuff behind or near the object you're trying to protect to know how much bracing these might need.

• The cheapest and easiest solution is to prevent motion in the first place. Stuff it. Secure it. Shut it down. Bolt it into place. Pack it solidly and tie it down. And put the heavy stuff on the ground.

Cheers and all best wishes,
Selene

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 pm
GT Truther

Thanks Selene! Can we move all of this info to the Active Mind section, or is it already there? Your ideas/advice and the others as well, need to be where we can find them after today. This is an ongoing project at my house.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:03 pm
GT Truther

Post Re: Prepping From The Golden Thread
Just a quick word of thanks to everyone for their replies.

Of course its easier for some to prepare than others... my thoughts turn to those who live in big cities, perhaps with loved ones who think that even the concept of this sort of preparations is 'just crazy', do not own their own homes, have little space to store the required amount of foodstuffs and even if they did they would be watching their neighbours to make sure that they are not being watched!

Point is, those who are making such preparations need to be extremely careful with where they store the foodsstuffs and who knows. Because when the time comes all those people who thought you were nutso will not have forgotten - they will know exactly where you live - and you will suddenly find that at mealtimes everybody you ever knew, even slightly, and their loved ones, plus friends and their loved ones.... will be coming for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Two years of food for one person will last mere weeks when half the street dines with you. :(

Dining alone never sounded so attractive!

Then there will be the roving gangs who come to empty everyones shelves - they wont know who has food, just assume that you do.

Even getting rid of empty tins of food requires extreme caution if you are not to arouse suspicions.

btw, anyone ever heard of a volcano kettle? Ideal for boiling water on cold went windy days when you cannot have a real fire. Oh and also a way of making fire (flint? water resistant matches?)

One final thing, 'somewhere along the line' I thought I read that TPTB wanted to complete all their preps by the end of last month.

hmm, why then? This explains why I asked my original question - are we *that* close to some sort of event? Even if only the staged / faked ET invasion or financial belly-up.

Simon

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Just a quick word of thanks to everyone for their replies.

Of course its easier for some to prepare than others... my thoughts turn to those who live in big cities, perhaps with loved ones who think that even the concept of this sort of preparations is 'just crazy', do not own their own homes, have little space to store the required amount of foodstuffs and even if they did they would be watching their neighbours to make sure that they are not being watched!

Point is, those who are making such preparations need to be extremely careful with where they store the foodsstuffs and who knows. Because when the time comes all those people who thought you were nutso will not have forgotten - they will know exactly where you live - and you will suddenly find that at mealtimes everybody you ever knew, even slightly, and their loved ones, plus friends and their loved ones.... will be coming for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Two years of food for one person will last mere weeks when half the street dines with you.

Dining alone never sounded so attractive!

Then there will be the roving gangs who come to empty everyones shelves - they wont know who has food, just assume that you do.

Even getting rid of empty tins of food requires extreme caution if you are not to arouse suspicions.

btw, anyone ever heard of a volcano kettle? Ideal for boiling water on cold went windy days when you cannot have a real fire. Oh and also a way of making fire (flint? water resistant matches?)

One final thing, 'somewhere along the line' I thought I read that TPTB wanted to complete all their preps by the end of last month.

hmm, why then? This explains why I asked my original question - are we *that* close to some sort of event? Even if only the staged / faked ET invasion or financial belly-up.

Simon

Simon

Are we "that" close to some sort of event? Most of the preppers here and elsewhere will tell you yes.

As to storing food and hiding it, that is not my plan at all. About 4 years ago, I organized a cul-de-sac party for my street and the next street over. Because my street is a cul-de-sac it feeds off the other street.

We had a great time and we seriously discussed security of the streets should a disaster like avian influenza happen. Then came Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. We continue to meet at least twice a year for a street party and to discuss plans.

My plan is predicated on the assistance of my neighbors because I live in suburbia. After Hurricane Ike, we put the plan into motion. The first night after Ike, several of the neighbors with two story homes spent the night on their roofs in 4 hour time slots. Yes, the sheriff's department also was patrolling but it was good to know we were being protected by our own as well. We were fully prepared to block off the street should it come to that.

As our refrigerators and freezers began to thaw, we began to come together to barbecue and make communal meals. Everyone contributed and everyone participated on both streets. Those that left brought milk, eggs, bread and ice upon their return.

Taking the advice of some long time bird flu preppers, I've also made up bags of food for those in need. Should one of my neighbors/friends be left without food during a disaster - I have the ability to provide them with at least flour, rice, beans, salt, yeast and a bit of oil/fat.

I plan to bury tin cans and other nonburnable refuse in my back yard garden space. Yes, the trash issue will become burdensome - it did after Ike until trash collection began again.

As to fire, I have stored flint, waterproof matches and also lighters - both disposable and fillable along with lighter fluid.

This is why I stated you must get your mind around what you will do in a disaster. Some folks are ready to go it alone - I am not because of where I live. Due to my personal beliefs, it makes more sense to me personally to adapt to a communal environment than that of a lone ranger.

As I stated years ago on another forum, I simply do not have it in me to murder a hungry child - THAT is my worst case scenario. I just can't do it. I can take out adults who are trying to steal from me but not so much someone who is hungry when I have the capability to at least provide them with a bit of food.

Good luck!

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:42 am
Site Admin

One last thing in case anyone is interested in the FEMA feeding stations (for those of you who live in the States).

It will be AT LEAST 72 hours before they up and running.

No walking up to the feeding station - drive through only.

No getting out of your vehicle at the feeding station - pop open the trunk only.

You will receive 1 case of MREs (meals - ready - to - eat), 1 case of water and either 2 10 pound or 1 20 pound bag of crushed ice. TSA folks loaded the first day and then subsequent days it was the Texas National Guard and volunteers like Boy and Girl Scouts. But there was ALWAYS a law enforcement/military presence and, yes, they were armed.

The only time we waited in line for more than 20 minutes was the first day - everyone was there! :roll

There is no limit on the number of times you go through the line. The only limitation will be the amount of gas you have in your vehicle.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:04 am

I am glad that we are having this conversation. BB's advice is invaluable since she has lived through several serious catastrophes, as others here may have also. I have a few observations/comments to add.

I agree that, yes, we are at the point where we need to be prepared for any scenario. If you haven't started yet, please start right away and do all you can to prepare yourself and your family. Make it a top priority.

I am trying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. A worst-case scenario could be triggered by any number of events: collapse of the financial system, a severe pandemic with a high CFR (case fatality rate), acts of terrorism/false flag events, natural disasters, etc. What would happen may vary slightly, but the results would be somewhat similar: no available food, water, utilities, medical care, schooling, municipal services (trash collection, road repair...), no first responders, no law enforcement, I'm sure everyone can add other things we will NOT have.

If at all possible, a survival community is the way to go. It could consist of neighbors, as BB has done, extended family, or even a group of friends from various locales who are on the same wavelength who have made arrangements to gather at a predetermined (and pre-prepped) site upon an agreed-on trigger point. It's good to have a variety of talent in this community: medical knowledge, farming, mechanical know-how, animal husbandry, defense, teachers, a spiritual leader - just as an idea. It is also very important to know as much as possible about the members of your community if you have not known them long, or not at all. But having a diverse community will inevitably create some tension. You just don't want somebody so unstable they may kill you all to save you from disaster, or who is just out to cause trouble.

If you are in an area where there are FEMA feeding stations, no matter how well-stocked you are for food, make sure you stand in line (or drive) just as much as the others around you. This is a time to blend in with the crowd (herd). You don't want to stand out for any reason. If you have light and others don't, either don't use it or make sure you have blackout shades, covers, whatever for your windows. If you have a generator, and nobody else around you does, sound-proof it, run it as little as possible, etc. You have to be aware of every little thing.

I am not in the same situation as BB with a united neighborhood, so I have separated my preps and stored them in different locations around my house. If somebody forces their way in, they may not get everything. I am considering storing some outside in the little wooded area behind my house, but haven't done it yet. Am I over-the-top on this? Perhaps, but I'd rather have prepared for the worst and possibly survive than sit back and say, that won't happen here.

I am prepping for far more than DH and I would need alone. Our family thinks I'm nuts; they haven't prepped at all and I can't watch them starve. I, too, could not let a hungry child pass by and tell them I couldn't help. Also, I have put some staples in small containers, like coffee cans, so that I can give them to those in real need, or barter them at some point: flour, rice, sugar, corn meal, beans.

You will find lots of good advice and links in this forum. I think one of the best ways to prepare mentally is to discuss the various aspects of prepping together. A question that one person has may open up a host of solutions and may alert others to an area of prepping that they hadn't thought of. I also periodically sit down and go through my day minute by minute. How do I go to the bathroom? No water, can't flush, what will I do? How will I wash myself? brush my teeth. Breakfast: will I cook or eat a cold breakfast? Cook how? store perishable foods how? (do you live in the tropics or the far north? makes a big difference) How do I heat the house? There is no more gas; how do I get to *****? Do I have what I need in my BOB (bug out bag)?

Spiritual preparation, of mind and soul, is perhaps the most important. You can have all the "things" you need, but if you aren't prepared to face the horrors that may come, they won't do a bit of good.

Good luck, and keep on keeping on.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:54 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

bumping ruts post as it seemed to me to be a more important post than mine on ....bread machines. ;)

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 pm
Truth Seeker

Nice Posts Selene;
Having owned boats since 1972, and having lived through a few 6+ Mag earthquakes, I agree totally, nothing like getting smacked by, or slipping on a 12 ounce can o Beans to drive the lesson home, Years ago I always wrote on the top of the can what it was with a sharpie, because if the can gets wet and the label goes in to bilge, you don't know what's for dinner.
Mizar

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:26 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Years ago I always wrote on the top of the can what it was with a sharpie, because if the can gets wet and the label goes in to bilge, you don't know what's for dinner.

Mizar - that is an excellent idea! I already write the month/date on the top of the can with a sharpie. Thanks so much for a great, great idea! :wavey

Quote:
If you are in an area where there are FEMA feeding stations, no matter how well-stocked you are for food, make sure you stand in line (or drive) just as much as the others around you. This is a time to blend in with the crowd (herd). You don't want to stand out for any reason. If you have light and others don't, either don't use it or make sure you have blackout shades, covers, whatever for your windows. If you have a generator, and nobody else around you does, sound-proof it, run it as little as possible, etc. You have to be aware of every little thing.

Rutsie - you are so, so right - blending in with the crowd is definitely the way to go no matter what disaster may come your way. :clap :heart

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 am