Lynnwood wrote:
Huge Sinkhole Opens Up On Interstate 24 In Tennessee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckvm3Xbcjok

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Sink Hole Reports
Sky wrote:
This was reported on National Geographic's photo of the day today?

Photo in the News: Giant Sinkhole Swallows Guatemala Homes

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070226-sinkhole-photo.html

Profile WWW
Site Admin

Dondep wrote:
Lynnwood wrote:
Huge Sinkhole Opens Up On Interstate 24 In Tennessee

Wow.....that sinkhole is smack dab in the middle of the New Madrid Seismic Zone!

Profile WWW
Site Admin

Dondep wrote:
fr33kSh0w2012 wrote:
Does everyone Like my new avatar i was getting sick of the old one!! (no i don't work for the C.I.A. i just like the emblem)

Yes, so long as you swear you're not "one of them" lol!

I'm glad to see PageMarker took me up on my urging; it simply wasn't fair to the rest of you being the only one privy to his view (though once he's coaxed to come on-thread he's infinitely more eloquent). Although I totally share his attitude - like many of us do - I like the idea of doing something in recognition of the "blood and treasure" sacrificed on our behalf but not just because it's 'Memorial Day'. Maybe sneak over to Walter Reed Hospital with a handful of books on an afternoon and visit with some of them, just out-of-the-blue on a day when it's not expected.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did happen to ask about that sinkhole in Tennessee 9 days ago on the poleshift ning, and along with a related question about the Quebec sinkhole, got this response:

Is the new sinkhole that opened up on Interstate 24 in northeast Tennessee (smack dab in the middle of the New Madrid Seismic Zone) a sign that the dreaded mega-quake is close at hand? Or just another example of the "stretch zone"? http://www.youtube.com/v/ckvm3Xbcjok&fs=1 [and from another] What would the Zeta say about the number of sinkholes that have happened recently, including the one in Quebec that killed four members of a family and the more recent one in Detroit, Michigan? http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/qu ... e/19473267

Where sinkholes are routinely blamed on recent heavy rains, causing a washout, there is more afoot. Run a line from San Diego, the center of the bow formed by the N American continent lately, and you will arrive at Tennessee. The Utah mine disaster just east of the Salt Flats was another example of that same bow stress, as it was also on that line. If a bow is pulled hard enough, it will break, but the break will be along weak points in the wood. The weak point in the N American continent is the New Madrid fault line and associated fault lines, which will slip, and slipslide sideways as we have repeatedly explained, with land to the west of the Mississippi moving SW and land to the east of the Mississippi moving NE. What does bow stress do to rock and ground in its path? Take a branch and bend it to the point where parts of the branch start snapping. The compression in the center causes branches to snap outward, relieving that pressure. Rock layers are no different. When compresses they will shatter away from the compression point. Ground nearby gets pushed around, as it is not as solid as rock, and in these matters the hand of Mother Nature does not come round and smooth and distribute the ground. Pockets or voids remain.

Landslides that occur on land over clay layers have long been known to be related to water flow along the top of the clay layers, which puts the ground above on a type of slippery slide. Enough rain, enough of an angle of descent, and voom one has a land slide. California is famous for these slides, as in California they build on hillsides in the expensive California real estate market. But the Montreal slide is scarsely a steep incline, nor have then been in a constant deluge. Thus, this is a huge section of land to be moving without warning or any expectations of a sinkhole developing. Of course, the Seaway is pulling apart, and this is not so much noticed where there is solid rock on either side of the Seaway as in places nearby where the ground is put under just as much stress. Take a piece of fabric and pull in opposite directions on either side. The fabric will start to give, thread by thread, at first, and most often those threads are not at the point where the fabric will eventually rip in two, but at weak points in the stretch zone. Can we give comfort to those living along the Seaway that the worst is over? Hardly, it has hardly begun.

So when I saw the Guatemala sinkhole from yesterday:

I stopped to think; gosh, that hole is almost perfectly round! Almost as if someone tried to drill right into the earth head-on! Which of course made me do a double-take when I saw this soon afterwards:

Hope everyone had a good holiday!

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Lynnwood wrote:
More Sinkholes, this time China, and residents are worried

Sudden Sinkhole Outbreak Raises Fear in China

Chinese workers inspect a sinkhole in a street in Beijing on Feb. 8.
Sinkholes are known geological phenomena that usually occur pre-
dominantly in areas that have been heavily mined or on reclaimed
land. (AFP/Getty Images)

A sinkhole occurred on June 4 on a freeway in China's Zhejiang Province.
(Photographer name withheld by request)

While the Guatemalans are wondering if the giant sinkhole formed on June 1 in their capital city is an isolated case, on the other side of the globe, the Chinese have discovered at least eight sinkholes that suddenly formed in the past two weeks across their country, and many more have appeared during the past two months.

The latest known sinkhole formed at 12:25 a.m. Beijing time on June 4, in the middle of a freeway in Zhejiang Province on the nation’s eastern coast. The sinkhole measured 20 feet deep and 27 feet wide.

The hole occurred when a light truck drove over the spot. The truck rolled over when its rear wheels were caught at the edge of the hole. The slightly injured driver climbed out and stopped traffic when he saw the giant hole. Police arrived within 10 minutes and blocked the road.

A spokesperson for the local freeway management office said experts on site suspected that the sudden collapse of an underground karst cave created by eroded limestone caused the sinkhole, but the investigation is ongoing.

Later the same day, about 300 miles west in Nanchang City, capital Jiangxi Province, a moving car was trapped when a hole about the size of the car suddenly opened up on a main road.

On June 3, four huge sinkholes opened up in Guangxi Province where a torrential storm was raging. According to Chinese state media reports, more than 600 villagers had to be evacuated because of them.

Three smaller holes were found between May 27 and May 30 in southwestern Sichuan Province, less than 80 miles from the Wenchuan epicenter of the deadly May 2008 Sichuan earthquake that killed approximately 80,000 people.

In Yibin City about 260 miles from the earthquake’s epicenter, 26 larger sinkholes have formed since April 27.

Prelude to Disaster?

The outbreak of sinkholes has struck fear in Chinese people. Though reports in official media always quote “experts” that conclude such holes are not warning signs of another major earthquake, people have little trust in such comments.

Online bloggers posted footage of similar alleged expert reassurances aired on local TV news channels shortly before the Sichuan earthquake. They are criticizing such assertions as no more than authorities’ tricks to maintain so-called social stability.

“What I hate most of the ‘experts’ on TV who confidently promise everything is OK,” wrote one blogger. “They’re saying this only because the government told them to.”

Many other bloggers joked that when the media start to refute earthquake rumors, it is time to pack up and leave because an earthquake is surely around the corner.

Having little trust in the regime's official reports, Chinese are now increasingly wary of abnormalities such as the appearance of large herds of toads or snakes, or clouds of unusual colors or shapes, and pay serious attention to any disaster warnings on blog sites.

Sinking government credibility and all too fresh memories of a series of recent disasters are causing Chinese society to become easily agitated. This February, the mere rumor of an earthquake scared tens of thousands of citizens in Taiyuan City in Shanxi Province out of their homes and into the streets to spend the night.

Read the original Chinese article (more images at link)
http://epochtimes.com/gb/10/6/5/n2929205.htm

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Dondep wrote:
Dex wrote:
GETTING IT RIGHT

The earth changes is pretty much Sun related DonD.

In the 70's Hurtak was told during his encounter the sun would increase it's solar flaring and sun spot activity due to our star system approaching a vacuum area in space called a null zone. Where electromagnetic fields temporarily cease to exist. It's supposedly going to be used for changing the electromagnetic density to help transition our star system from a 3rd to a 5th dimensional wavelength .
As we continue to approach the lip of this galactic zone, the destabilizing sun additionally kick's off more energy, solar and other radiational energy, that is received by the earth through the Southern and Northern polar region axis. This build's up pressure inside the planet. The earth's way of releasing this energy build up is through surface super storms, earthquakes, volcanic pinches and can cause a shifting in the shell and mantle plates, possibly producing a rearrangement on a grand scale. He said he was told to expect earthquakes in the magnitude of 12. The energy build up acts like a lubricant for this sliding action.

Sorry, Dex. I disagree. Of course I think I'm right, and you think you're right. So it goes on the Golden Thread. However, I can tell you that the Sun was chosen to be the culprit ages ago, so I'm not surprised that claims are being made that it's the effects of the Sun. This is the chosen avenue of NASA also, and even Marci and Dan would joke about the acronym NASA standing for "Never A Straight Answer". So, if NASA is telling that to us, chances are one should suspect it.

No, I don't think it's the Sun. I see no logic whatsoever in the claim the Sun can cause tectonic plates to move about like they are, either directly or indirectly. That claim simply doesn't resonate with me. I've pondered that theory/claim long and hard, too.

In a related story, the flash-flooding of south-eastern France is beginning to show sinkholes in that country now, joining a whole host of other countries:

The Guardian.co.uk wrote:
Tourists evacuated from campsites and 200,000 households left without electricity after ferocious downpours.

At least 15 people died when "unprecedented" flash-flooding hit parts of south-eastern France, submerging streets, sweeping away cars and forcing people to take refuge on the roofs of their houses.

Inhabitants of Draguignan, a town between Marseille and Nice, were particularly badly affected by the sudden downpours, which began late yesterday just as people were travelling home from work and continued through the night.

In the worst flooding the region saw since 1827, authorities struggled to cope with the speed at which water levels rose. "In 24 hours, we had 350mm of water," said local official Olivier de Mazière.

Today Brice Hortefeux, the interior minister, said he feared the death toll would worsen as the number of confirmed casualties continued to creep up. Four people are known to have died in Trans-en-Provence, one in Le Luc, one in Roquebrune and one in Fréjus. The worst, however, was reserved for Draguignan, where the water reached two metres in the streets and eight people died.

Local official Corinne Orzechowski spoke of "a devastated town centre, extremely battered, with car wrecks in the streets, roads that have fallen in, houses ripped open, infrastructure damaged". The majority of casualties are thought to have died while trapped in their cars.

"It happened at the worst moment, as people were leaving work," said Orzechowski.

France now sinking into holes

And automobiles crumpled into piles, like so many unused Hot Wheels toys:

And try re-parking THESE campers; just imagine what kind of a migraine the folks responsible for getting this jumble untangled are going to have starting tomorrow:

And the beat goes on......

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:23 pm
Profile WWW

Sinkhole opens up in Venus backyard

...... in just five minutes, a 100-foot wide sinkhole opened in the sand, gulping pots with palm trees and ligustrum hedges and catley guava.

By Friday, they'd rescued all the nursery plants from the one-acre plot, moving them to the adjoining nine acres. But the hole had swelled 20 feet wider, and at 4 p.m. Friday, the circular mouth was an estimated 140 feet across.

"This morning, there was just a little water in it," she said. But by late afternoon, water was three feet deep and rising in the center of the hole.

"We have a pond," she laughed.

snip

But then she found out from Interim Emergency Operations Management Director Scott Canaday that if the sinkhole gets closer to their home, they may have to move. He told her this was the biggest one he'd seen.

article here: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/dec/17 ... -breaking/

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:02 pm
Profile YIM

South Africa relocates residents due to sinkholes
South Africa map

South African authorities have begun the relocation of 3,000 families after huge sinkholes appeared close to their homes near Pretoria.

The depressions are said to be the result of a massive extraction of water by farms in the area, causing underground caverns to collapse.

About 50 families living in an informal settlement in Bapsfontein have been moved so far, officials said.

Authorities have said the land is no longer fit for human settlement.

'Immediate evacuation'

"The situation is so bad that there are several sinkholes that have formed around the area," Zweli Dlamini, a spokesman for the Ekurhuleni municipality, told the BBC.

He said the area around the informal settlement had been categorised as unsafe due to the possibility of the sinkhole "swallowing that piece of land".

Underground water was increasing the danger to a degree that gave authorities no choice but to order an immediate evacuation, he added.

Some of the sinkholes are more than 80m (263ft) across, and cracks now run throughout the land, says the BBC's Africa editor Martin Plaut.

Families have agreed to move and have been promised better houses to live in.

The relocation process is expected to run until mid-January, according to the South African Press Agency (Sapa).
More on This Story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12083806

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:20 am
Profile YIM

I don't usually post a link to GLP, but there is an excellent thread there keeping track of sinkhole reports, and with links to other sites doing the same. You can find it here: http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 240512/pg1

One of the good links listed leads to the Telegraph (UK) with lots of reports with pictures: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthp ... ml?image=7

Here's an interesting tid-bit:

Sinkhole Assistance Grant Available To Homeowners Impacted By Sinkhole Damage

December 29, 2010 - (RealEstateRama) — Hillsborough County homeowners have until March, 31, 2011, to apply for a Sinkhole Assistance Grant. The Grant is to provide qualified homeowners with financial assistance to recover from the damages of sinkhole impacts from January 2010 through March 2010, and to assist them in the maintenance and support of their families.

The maximum Grant award is $3,000, and only the property owner of record at the time of the sinkhole damage is eligible to receive assistance.

http://florida.realestaterama.com/2010/ ... D0600.html

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 am
Profile YIM