It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

Great Ball of Fire 

Post Re: Great Ball of Fire
Another Cool Pic of the Week - Feb 10 2011

Dazzling Duo
As SDO observed in extreme ultraviolet light, a pair of active regions put on quite a show over a three-day period (Feb. 7-10, 2011). The magnetic field lines above the regions produced fluttering arcs waving above them as well as a couple of flares. Another pair of smaller active regions emerges and trails behind the larger ones.

Is it not puely Awsome!!

:huh

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Oh, Sky! Yes indeedy that is truly awesome.

What a glorious picture - thank you so much! :clap :heart

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:28 am

BB - you must review the last image on page one too. ;)

I stumbled on SDO's asset library, so I can now poke any picture they file for publication as I need (or till they shut that door) hehe

The science of our Star is facinating to me and I love the tech NASA has thrown at it!!

Will be keeping this thread nice and toasty as the news roll in!!

We are in for a real humdinger when the elctromagnetics in the Solar system go ape!

:popcorn

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

Sky, what is the time frame for one of these flares to reach earth? Or do they have different speeds, depending on size? I am wondering about the Japanese earthquake, and connecting it to a sun flare. ;)

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

A lady with a thinking Mind!! I like that very much...

A good question Siam and one no-one ponders at all (imo)

I have been doing Sun info survey's for a while now, and I am convinced that the energy the Sun issues in its weird ways must have all kinds of influences on the Earth - the biggest one being energy input for tectonic plate influence. The real dangerous one in my estimation is the energy the Sun puts out to raise the Earths' internal heat. The effect of which will cause the core to melt into the Lithosphere and result in a pole shit when the mantle slips on the core like a well greased bearing.

Now which is which in terms of energies incoming is a bit of physics and easily noted from popular sources off the web. Gamma rays being a large component of the spectrum.

Time translations range from 8 minutes to 3 days in the energy spectrum.

So yes - I think we do get affected by the Sun's transmissions especially if it is full moon or there are planetary alignments. That's why the comet Elenin so interested me, as it has 3 stages of effect and include major planetary alignments - one which passed when the Japan 9.0 quake happened!! I posted this info on the PX thread by L2L's placement. The next one is due in June and the last one in November.

I will plug more of the detail of the science onto this thread when I locate such!

Keep your eye on SDO!

;)

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:18 am
Profile WWW

This simply stunning!!

Monster Prominence
When a rather large-sized (M 3.6 class) flare occurred near the edge of the Sun, it blew out a gorgeous, waving mass of erupting plasma that swirled and twisted over a 90-minute period (Feb. 24, 2011). This event was captured in extreme ultraviolet light by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory spacecraft . Some of the material blew out into space and other portions fell back to the surface. Because SDO images are super-HD, we can zoom in on the action and still see exquisite details. And using a cadence of a frame taken every 24 seconds, the sense of motion is, by all appearances, seamless. Sit back and enjoy the jaw-dropping solar show.

Here at SDO

And that's only a M3.6!!??!?

:shock:

Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 pm
Profile WWW

Sun Unleashes 'Spectacular' & Powerful Eruption
by Tariq Malik, SPACE.com Managing Editor
Date: 07 June 2011 Time: 02:21 PM ET

The sun unleashed a massive solar storm today (June 7) in a dazzling eruption that kicked up a vast cloud of magnetic plasma that appeared to rain back down over half of the sun's entire surface, NASA scientists say.

The solar storm hit its peak at about 2:41 a.m. EDT (0641 GMT), but the actual flare extended over a three-hour period, said C. Alex Young, a solar astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center who runs a website called The Sun Today, in a video describing the event.

"The sun produced a quite spectacular prominence eruption that had a solar flare and high-energy particles associated with it, but I've just never seen material released like this before," Young said. "It looks like somebody just kicked a giant clod of dirt into the air and then it fell back down." [Video: See the sun's June 7 solar flare and eruption]

http://www.space.com/11893-huge-sun-eru ... flare.html

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:06 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Funny this is the biggest solar flare that we have had in decades possibly EVER and yet ZERO loss of communications :roll :crazy :sherlock

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:38 pm
Profile WWW

When NASA broke the story they did issue a satellite disruption warning, but stated that because the direction was not directly at earth, it should be a minimum effect.

Then also, why would anybody hide any major - important - dangerous to people - news?? :sarcasism

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:11 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

rutsuyasun wrote:

Why when I look at these shot's do I always see Marshmallows on sticks :slap :roflmao it's like Mental Imagery you have to imagine it mentally :crylaugh

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 am
Profile YIM

SHAPE-SHIFTING SUNSPOT: Three big sunspot groups are rotating across the Earth-facing side of the sun. One of them, AR1261, is morphing into a circular ring. Click on the image to view a 24-hour movie:
here: http://2012forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&p=402663

The magnetic field of this shape-shifting sunspot is crackling with C- and M-class solar flares, including a powerful M9-blast to begin the day on July 30th. NOAA forecasters estimate a 40% chance of more such flares during the next 24 hours.

http://2012forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&p=402663

Plus today is a new moon that is working into the moon's perigee, closest it is to Earth in August on the 2nd.

Quote:
It's a scientific fact that the Earth's Electromagnetic Field is weakening and has been for awhile. So when these CME's or solar storms hit Earth they have more of an effect because of the weaker field. There are several different typea of solar storms, geomagnetic, photon, x-ray, gamma, so on. Each one does a different thing so it all depends. But, science has determined that the sun has a far greater effect on the Earth and and its weather, plate techtonics, than believed. There is also scientific evidence that seismic and volcanic activity do increase during the full moons and new moons. It will also affect the Earth during the moon's apogee (farthest distance) and the Perigee (closest distance). A supermoon is when you have one of each at the same time. So to have a possible solar storm head this way in a 3-day window of a new moon with a perigee, has some scientific basis for concern.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm
Profile YIM

Yup - the season for sun spots is here and we are going to see more and more activity as we go into 2012. My guess is that this year will be a surprise to most scientists due the Electro Magnetics changing so fast.

What will happen when the Null Zone arrives is another thing!

:hmm

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sky - can you expand on the "Null Zone?"

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:13 am

BB - if you read up on the Photon belt, it is something like that, but have to confess I have absolutely no idea what the cause, origin or effect of this impending occurrance is. It was told us in our studies of the KEYS by Dr. JJ Hurtak that we will experience it in the near future.

He never expanded on it, and I am now so curious that I plan writing him personally to inquire some more detail. Whether he will respond is another question. Busy man.

If I get any clarity - I shall certainly post it here.

:dunno

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:05 pm
Profile WWW

I don't want to jump in where I don't know what I'm talking about, but I googled Null zone and Hurtak and found a couple of posts in a Yahoo group that discusses the Null zone; BB you might find it useful; I did.

Hurtak: THE SUN, THE NULL ZONE and PHOTON BAND

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Full_Cons ... essage/283

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:24 pm
Profile YIM

STRONG SOLAR ACTIVITY: On August 4th, active sunspot 1261 unleashed a strong solar flare, the third in as many days. The blast, which registered M9.3 on the Richter Scale of Flares, hurled a bright coronal mass ejection (CME) almost directly toward Earth. Click on the image to view a movie of the expanding cloud recorded by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory:

Moving at an estimated speed of 1950 km/s, this CME is expected to sweep up an earlier CME already en route. Analysts at the GSFC Space Weather Lab say the combined-CME should reach Earth on August 5th at 10:00 UT plus or minus 7 hours: "The impact on Earth is likely to be major. The estimated maximum geomagnetic activity index level Kp is 7 (Kp ranges from 0 - 9). The flanks of the CME may also impact STEREO A, Mars and Mercury/MESSENGER." High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO: As predicted by analysts at the GSFC Space Weather Lab, the first of three CMEs produced by the recent spate of flare activity reached Earth during the late hours of August 4th. The impact was weak and is not expected to produce strong geomagnetic storms. Two more CMEs are still on the way and, as described below, they may have merged into a single cloud that could produce significant storming when they reach Earth on August 5th at 10:00 UT (plus or minus 7 hours). A new model of all 3 CMEs is now available; stay tuned for updates.

http://spaceweather.com/

Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:46 am
Profile YIM

Solar flares may impact communications this weekend

Energy released from solar plasma blasts will reach Earth throughout Friday and Saturday, potentially disrupting communications and electrical grids, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The explosion on the sun’s surface could affect precision satellite systems such as GPS and high-frequency radio waves, which airlines use for communication.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/08 ... z1UDuHjPtT

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:22 pm
Profile YIM

rutsuyasun wrote:
I don't want to jump in where I don't know what I'm talking about, but I googled Null zone and Hurtak and found a couple of posts in a Yahoo group that discusses the Null zone; BB you might find it useful; I did.

Hurtak: THE SUN, THE NULL ZONE and PHOTON BAND

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Full_Cons ... essage/283

Way cool Ruts!

An see who's commets were copied to this post! Lol

:clap

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:45 am
Profile WWW

Found this awsome Negative image made of the Sun (not a true blue sky!) which is in my favorite file now... produced by MEXHUNTER

http://www.astrophoto.com.mx/picture.php?/191/category/6

:cool

[Have a sense of dejavu here.... trust I have not posted this image B4??]

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:49 am
Profile WWW

GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A geomagnetic storm is in progress. It began on August 5th around 1800 UT when a CME struck Earth's magnetic field. At its peak during the hours just after impact, the storm registered 8 on the 0 to 9 "K-index" scale of geomagnetic disturbances, making it one of the strongest magnetic storms in years. The subsiding storm will likely take many more hours to peter out, so high-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:14 am
Profile YIM

Massive Solar Storm Could Cause Catastrophic Nuclear Threat in US

By IB Times Staff Reporter | August 6, 2011 5:17 AM EDT

A severe solar storm could cause global chaos, wrecking satellite communications and would take down the most important power grids in the world for a period of years.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) forecasts four "extreme" and many "severe" solar emissions which could threaten the planet during the current decade. Nasa has warned that a peak in the sun's magnetic energy cycle and the number of sun spots or flares around 2013 could generate huge radiation levels.

snip

An extremely large solar storm would induce geomagnetic currents that could destroy a substantial fraction of the very largest transformers on the power grid. If this happened, electric power loss due to a large solar storm would be out for a period of years and possibly decades.

Last month, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said that U.S. plants affected by a blackout should be able to cope without electricity for at least eight hours and should have procedures to keep the reactor and spent-fuel pool cool for 72 hours.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/193517/ ... ory-co.htm

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:20 am
Profile YIM

Power companies prepare as solar storms set to hit Earth

Three large explosions from the Sun over the past few days have prompted U.S. government scientists to caution users of satellite, telecommunications and electric equipment to prepare for possible disruptions over the next few days.

snip

...solar storms this week could affect communications and global positioning system (GPS) satellites and might even produce an aurora visible as far south as Minnesota and Wisconsin.

con. http://news.yahoo.com/power-companies-p ... 59933.html

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:40 pm
Profile YIM

Makes one think what the US gubment can hide within the effect of a CME ???

Maybe the net going down??? So much they can claim in "innocense" from such an event!

Ya right!

Again - time will tell!

:nono

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:14 am
Profile WWW

This is what an X-class 7 Solar Flare looks like when it goes off!!!

Simply Stunning!

Furtunately not directed Earth's way...

Spaceweather.com wrote:
MAJOR SOLAR FLARE: This morning at 0805 UT, sunspot 1263 produced an X7-class solar flare--only the third X-flare of new Solar Cycle 24 and the most powerful so far. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured the explosion's extreme ultraviolet flash. The brunt of the explosion was not Earth directed. Nevertheless, a minor proton storm is in progress around our planet, which could affect satellites in high-altitude orbits. Also, radiation from flare created waves of ionization in Earth's upper atmosphere, briefly disrupting communications at some VLF and HF radio frequencies.

Took some time finding that image - but it was worth it for our record!
Now we know what they look like when coming in the near future.

:sherlock

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:56 am
Profile WWW

from Dutchsinse's YouTube site; comments are his.

3/7/2012 -- X-class Solar Flare -- earth directed -- plus solar anomaly

This makes TWO large X-class solar flares in the past 2 1/2 days -- both earth directed...

Solar flares of this size can cause communication disruption, power grid failures, and aurora borealis in places further south than normal.

You can see the flare on the SDO site:

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/

Also worthy to note.. the SDO/green and SDO/HMI shots..... well... they show the sun THROUGH the supposed fly-by of the "planet"...

This means (to me) that IF YOU CAN SEE THROUGH THE DARKNESS , then , ITS NOT A PLANET PASSING IN BETWEEN the sdo and the sun... see the green shot and HMI shot on the SDO from 3/7/2012 .

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 am
Profile YIM