It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

Spectacular CME 

Post Spectacular CME
How's this awesome CME on the 4th of October?? Hells Bells - and we are still ramping into the Solar maximum for 2012....

This sure promises to be interesting??? :huh

Here is an image I grabbed at 19s in!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:31 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Spectacular CME
Really Neat, Sky!! They had some beautiful auroras

on Facebook from somewhere in the US after this one.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Here's a couple of pics

Spectacular Northern Lights Display Leaves Skywatchers Spellbound
Oct 25, 2011 6:13 PM ET
By Tariq Malik, SPACE.com Managing Editor

Photographer Shawn Malone of Marquette, Mich., took this dazzling photo of the spectacular Oct. 24, 2011
northern lights display. CREDIT: Shawn Malone

A dazzling aurora light show amazed skywatchers across North America, from Canada to Arkansas, and other northern regions Monday night (Oct. 24), painting the sky with striking green and even rare red hues.

The aurora display, also known as the northern lights, was touched off by a wave charged particles unleashed by a massive sun storm on Saturday, which took two days to reach Earth, according to the Space Weather Prediction Center operated by the National Weather Service and NOAA.

"These were the most vibrant I've ever seen," Canadian skywatcher Colin Chatfield of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan told SPACE.com in an email. "I was also able to see red with the naked eye, which I've never seen before either. Simply put, they were amazing."

Auroras are caused when charged solar particles hit Earth's atmosphere, causing a glow as the particles collide. The particles are funneled down over Earth's poles causing the northern lights, or aurora borealis, in the north. Aurora displays over the South Pole are known as the Southern Lights, or aurora australis. [See the spellbinding October aurora photos]

Photographer Shawn Malone in Marquette, Mich., expected a good aurora light show, but was still surprised by the sheer brilliance of Monday night's northern light show.

"[I] had taken a few pics, went back to the car to change lenses, and when I looked up the sky was on fire," Malone said. "To the north there was this huge curtain that sent beams overhead to a corona in which I had to turn to the south to photograph. That's when I noticed the reds and pinks starting to happen. From there the lights were every which direction. It was hands down the best northern lights I've seen since the great storm of November 2004."

Space weather officials said the arrival of the solar particles Monday triggered a geomagnetic storm that amped up the aurora displays. The sun is currently in an active phase of its 11-year solar weather cycle.

"Couple that with the fact that large parts of the U.S. had very clear skies, and you've got some beautiful sightings of the aurora across the northern tier of the U.S.," Space Weather Prediction Center officials wrote in an update. Unfortunately for sky watchers, the geomagnetic storm appears to be in decline and no further significant space weather is expected at this time."

VIDEO AT LINK

October's Spellbinding northern lights

Traditionally, only skywatchers in high-latitude locations can see aurora displays, but during strong solar weather events, they can be visible to observers at lower latitudes. A dark, clear sky away from city lights is vital to spot the displays. [Amazing Auroras of 2011]

Green auroras, caused by the ionization of atomic oxygen in the atmosphere, are the most common northern lights seen. Red aurora displays are rarer, and are caused by the ionization of molecular oxygen and nitrogen.

"I was surprised to find the auroras out so brightly," said Samuel Hartman, a skywatcher in State College, Pa., who sent photos to SPACE.com. "It was originally supposed to be cloudy all night, but the clouds cleared and the aurora was glowing bright. It made for an excellent show."

Just outside Philadelphia, in West Chester, Pa., veteran astrophotographer Jeff Berkes also wasn’t expecting an aurora display, especially right after the weekend peak of October's Orionid meteor shower.

"I ran outside and jumped in my car leaving the tripod inside. I used the top of my Xterra and a sweatshirt to create a make-shift tripod," Berkes told SPACE.com in an email. "The auroras only last a few minutes. But hey it was awesome! Haven't seen them here since September 2001."

Monday night's auroras were seen as far south as Arkansas, where skywatcher and photographer Brian Emfinger caught the view from the city of Ozark.

"The auroras filled the sky in every direction - even to the south," Emfinger told the skywatching website Spaceweather.com, adding that it was the website's email alert that warned him of the stunning aurora show. "When I saw the alert, I ran outside and immediately saw red auroras. Within a few minutes the auroras went crazy! Unbelievable!"

Skywatcher Tom Pruzenski snapped this view of the Oct. 24, 2011 northern lights display while watching the rare
red northern lights with his brother Chris on Oct. 24, 2011 from Hemlock, NY. CREDIT: Tom Pruzenski

Unforgettable sight

In Hemlock, N.Y., first-time aurora photographer Tom Pruzenski expressed a similar sentiment.

"This outburst of red auroras happened around 9:30 p.m.," Pruzenski said. "My brother (and amateur astronomer) Chris Pruzenski noticed faint auroras two hours earlier, around 7:30 p.m. We waited and watched, and our patience paid off with this 5-10 minute display of red and green auroras."

Tom Dolaskie IV watched the northern lights dance over Lake Superior at Munising Bay in Michigan. The view, he said, was astounding and not one he will soon forget.

"Hands down the most amazing northern lights display that I have ever witnessed," Dolaskie said. "Frankly, a setting that a photograph simply cannot capture. My friends and I were lucky to have witnessed it."

Editor's note: If you snapped a great photo of Monday night's northern lights and would like to share the image and your comments with SPACE.com, please contact managing editor Tariq Malik at tmalik@space.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

This story was provided by SPACE.com, a sister site to OurAmazingPlanet. You can follow SPACE.com Managing Editor Tariq Malik on Twitter @tariqjmalik. Follow SPACE.com for the latest in space science and exploration news on Twitter @Spacedotcom and on Facebook.

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/spellbi ... tos--2152/

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:18 am
Profile WWW

This is gonna be interesting....

MAGNIFICENT SUNSPOT: One of the largest sunspots in years is rotating over the sun's northeastern limb. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory took this picture of AR1339 during the early hours of Nov. 3rd:

Measuring some 40,000 km wide and at least twice that in length, the sprawling sunspot group is an easy target for backyard solar telescopes. Two or three of the sunspot's dark cores are wider than Earth itself.

Naturally, such a large sunspot has potential for strong flares. NOAA forecasters estimate a 50% chance of M-class solar flares during the next 24 hours. One such eruption has already occured: An M4-flare at 2200 UT on Nov. 2nd produced a bright flash of extreme UV radiation (SDO movie) and hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) into space. The CME is not heading our way. Future CMEs could have greater effect as AR1339 turns toward Earth in the days ahead.

:popcorn

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:28 pm
Profile WWW

Here's another one:

9:08 am, January 23, 2012, by Joe Lauria

A large sunspot on the sun has erupted and sent a streak of plasma energy/radiation (solar flare) towards the earth. This is the biggest one going back to 2005 and there is a neat picture that I saw on NOAA this AM.

At this point it’s effects on earth may not be too bad. Although if you’re an astronaut in space, that’s not the best place to be with this. According to NOAA’s website this ranks as an S3 (strong) on a scale from 1-5 with these effects possible:

Biological: radiation hazard avoidance recommended for astronauts on EVA; passengers and crew in high-flying aircraft at high latitudes may be exposed to radiation risk.***

Satellite operations: single-event upsets, noise in imaging systems, and slight reduction of efficiency in solar panel are likely.

Other systems: degraded HF radio propagation through the polar regions and navigation position errors likely.

con. here: http://fox4kc.com/2012/01/23/random-weather-thoughts/

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:28 pm
Profile YIM

An interesting article by the health ranger ...

NASA space weather prediction center predicts massive M9-class solar eruption to strike earth today
Monday, January 23, 2012 by: Ethan A. Huff

Late last night, NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory observed a massive "ultraviolet flash" emitted from the sun, which has turned out to be the largest solar radiation storm since 2005. This M9-class coronal mass ejection (CME) is expected to hit earth today at 9 am EST, and could cause widespread communications interference and damage to electrical systems and structures.

This M9-class solar eruption is just teetering below an X-class eruption, which is considered to be the most severe type of solar storm. M9-class solar eruptions have been occurring almost daily throughout the past week in an area of the sun known as sunspot 1402. But as this area slowly rotates towards the direction of earth, the threat of damage and destruction continues to increase.

"There is little doubt that the cloud is heading in the general direction of Earth," says a Spaceweather.com update. "A preliminary inspection of SOHO / STEREO imagery suggests that the CME will deliver a strong glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on Jan. 24 - 25 as it sails mostly north of our planet."

A view a captured image of this powerful CME:

What does all this mean in terms of potential damage to the planet? It is hard to say, since nobody knows for sure exactly where this solar storm will hit, or what the power of it will be. However, the Spaceweather.com announcement warns that certain spacecraft "in geosynchronous, polar and other orbits passing through Earth's ring current and auroral regions" could sustain damage. Intensified auroral storms are also possible.

This onslaught of charged particles is also a potential threat to aircraft flying across the earth's poles, which is why such flights are now being rerouted, according to reports. And as far as the general public is concerned, downed satellites, communications interference, and even electrical transmission problems are all a possibility.

The sun is currently in Solar Cycle 24, a period of intensified solar activity that began in 2008. Though it is set to peak in 2013, this cycle is a threat right now as the sun's rotation puts earth directly in line with sunspot 1402. And as these already borderline-X-class storms coming from sunspot 1402 intensify, so will the threat of widespread disruption and damage.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034748_NASA_space_weather_solar_flare.html

:sherlock

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:01 am
Profile WWW

In NW CT, I've observed no interruptions of cell service, GPS capability, or satellite TV. Haven't seen anything in the news, not yet anyway. What an amazing photo, Sky! thanks.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:52 am
Profile YIM

IMO it produced one of the most beautiful Northern light displays ever recorded...

How this one?

The midnight phoenix rises:

Auroras seen from Norway: A spectacular 'coronal mass ejection' following a solar flare has caused magnetic storms- but rarely are they do form such amazing shapes as this bird-like creation

:clap :tounge :clap

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:57 pm
Profile WWW

WOW, that is amazingly beautiful. I forgot to look for the aurora; I don't know if I'm far enough north anyway.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:15 pm
Profile YIM

We look like we are in for some Wow's in the next few days...

ANOTHER CME IS HEADING FOR EARTH: Sunspot AR1429 has unleashed another strong solar flare, an M6-class eruption on March 9th at 0358 UT. The blast hurled a coronal mass ejection (movie) almost directly toward Earth. According to analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the CME will arrive on March 11th at 0649 UT (+/- 7 hr) adding to the geomagnetic unrest already underway. An animated forecast track shows that the cloud will also hit the Mars Science Lab spacecraft and Mars itself on March 12th and 13th, respectively.

AFTERSHOCKS: At first, yesterday's widely-reported CME impact produced little in the way of Earth effects. Eventually, however, a geomagnetic storm did develop as Earth passed through the wake of the CME. Mild to strong geomagnetic storms are underway around the Arctic Circle, producing auroras like these photographed by Jónína Óskarsdóttir of Faskrudsfjordur, Iceland:

"No words can describe the experience of the Northern Lights show tonight," says Óskarsdóttir. "This is just a 1s exposure!"

HUGE SUNSPOT: Active sunspot AR1429 continues to grow. It is now more than seven times wider than Earth, which makes it an easy target for backyard solar telescopes. In fact, yesterday, David Tremblay of Alto, New Mexico, saw it using no telescope at all. All he needed was a dust storm:

"The dust blowing from Tularosa Basin was so dense, we could observe the sun with the naked eye--and there was sunspot AR1429. Wow!" says Tremblay

The behemoth spot has unleashed four strong flares since it emerged on March 2nd, including the X5-class eruption of March 7th. More could be in the offing. The active region has a "beta-gamma-delta" class magnetic field that harbors energy for additional X-class eruptions.

:huh

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Awesome photos Sky thanks for finding these and posting them for us :clap :clap :clap :clap

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:23 pm
Profile WWW

Wow, it looks like the sun is about to hit the fan! :shtf

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm
Profile YIM

Lol - that is what I believe the general idea is behind what is being expected by the folks looking at this like Patrick Geryl and Pane Andov et al.

I am in agreement with them as we have the same general information form our study group in the Acadamy for Future Science. Major Ed Dames RV's the event and put out the DVD called "The Kill Shot" to give his pov.

It appears that there is a large body of energy due in 2012/13 that will exite our local time/space to the point of making the Sun expand and react to degrees that will basically upset our electro magnetics to the point that we have nothing electrical working for a while. These seems to be other consequenses in the pipeline also, such as our DNA/RNA being affected and our memory stability being at risk.

But it is early days and the info is leaking presently. Hence the underground bases - but I think they folks in them will not necessarily be better off???!??!!

:awe :huh

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:57 am
Profile WWW

And they just keep getting better, larger and more frequent....!

SPECTACULAR EXPLOSION (UPDATED):

Magnetic fields on the sun's northeastern limb erupted around 17:45 UT on April 16th, producing one of the most visually-spectacular explosions in years. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) recorded the blast at extreme ultraviolet wavelengths:

The explosion, which registered M1.7 on the Richter Scale of solar flares, was not Earth-directed, but it did hurl a CME into space. Analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab have analyzed the trajectory of the cloud and found that it will hit NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft, the Spitzer space telescope, and the rover Curiosity en route to Mars. Planets Venus and Mars could also receive a glancing blow.

Using data from SDO, Steele Hill of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center assembled a must-see movie of the event. It shows the explosion unfolding at 304Å, a wavelength which traces plasma with a temperature around 80,000 K.

Coverage of the blast was not limited to space telescopes. Amateur astronomers saw it, too. Jim Lafferty sends this picture from his backyard observatory in Redlands, California:

"Yesterday's prominence on the sun's eastern limb was was one of the largest in years---short lived, it was mostly gone in a few hours," says Lafferty. "It was a wonderful sight in the eyepiece and in the camera!"

http://spaceweather.com/

:sherlock

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:30 pm
Profile WWW