It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 am

Ancient Underwater Forest: 50,000 Year-Old Swamp Discovered 
Site Admin

Post Ancient Underwater Forest: 50,000 Year-Old Swamp Discovered
Ancient Underwater Forest: 50,000 Year-Old Swamp Discovered By Scuba Divers Off Alabama's Coast

Scuba divers have discovered a primeval underwater forest off the coast of Alabama.

The Bald Cypress forest was buried under ocean sediments, protected in an oxygen-free environment for more than 50,000 years, but was likely uncovered by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, said Ben Raines, one of the first divers to explore the underwater forest and the executive director of the nonprofit Weeks Bay Foundation, which researches estuaries.

The forest contains trees so well-preserved that when they are cut, they still smell like fresh Cypress sap, Raines said.

The stumps of the Cypress trees span an area of at least 0.5 square miles (0.8 kilometers), several miles from the coast of Mobile, Ala., and sit about 60 feet (18 meters) below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.

Despite its discovery only recently, the underwater landscape has just a few years to be explored, before wood-burrowing marine animals destroy the ancient forest.

snip

Read more here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/ancient-underwater-forest-discovered-alabama_n_3562730.html

Amazing. This is simply amazing. Love it! :mrgreen:

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Ancient Underwater Forest: 50,000 Year-Old Swamp Discove
Blue there is a new show on the History Cannel, I forget the name but they just featured a place in Georgia I believe that most claim is directly linked to the Mayans :hmm

Get this, the US Federal Government will NOT ALLOW access to the site, what are they hiding :sherlock

It was a really cool show, I was so amazed by its implications that I didn't even think to write the name of the show down :headbang

We should try and figure out what and where so we can make another section for our GT Sleuths to dig their teeth into.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:47 am
Profile WWW