It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:54 pm

How Much Did 911 Cost the US? 
Site Admin

Post How Much Did 911 Cost the US?
Today is East Texas' birthday! :elephant :brockoli :banana

We left our home early this morning and drove north to Lake Livingston to have a picnic and do a bit of fishing. That's all he wanted for his special day.

We arrived at the State Park and were simply amazed! There were only 8 trailers in the entire park! No tents (too hot, of course) but it IS high summer and just weeks before the kiddos go back to school. Hmmmm

Found the fishing pier at the park and the park store was closed! Hmmmm

Used the rest room and it was nasty, filthy - had not been cleaned in a looonnnggg time! This has never happened to us in a Texas state park before.

Drove past the swimming pool and it was empty - no water. Hmmmm

To say we left in a hurry is an understatement. We scratched our heads and though "oh well, I guess it just the cuts in the State budget." This park used to be full to the brim and very difficult to get a reservation much less just drop by and get a space.

We drove down to the Livingston dam where we used to fish a long time ago. Shocked! That is the only word I know to use.

The dam is completely fenced off; the store that used to be there is gone; as is the parking lot; the banks have been raised about 10 feet above the level of the Trinity River. The only boat in the river was a Texas Parks & Wildlife boat doing a fish survey.

Prior to 9/11 you could literally walk across the boats below the dam because the fishing there is excellent - great stripers, bass and white bass when the dam is releasing water (as it was today).

There was absolutely no one on the banks fishing - no boats, nada , zippo!

We spoke with a gentleman mowing outside the fencing that ran the entire length of the dam. We asked what had happened and he told us September 11 happened. After 911, the dam was fenced off and the store closed.

When we left we began to notice there were no bait stands, burger joints, beer joints, towing services, marine services, and boat storage places. Even the little restaurant that sold great biscuits and sausage and breakfast tacos is closed.

This is just one small area that is now devastated due to 911 - a very long way from New York, DC, and Pennsylvania. Heck, even the fireworks stands have disappeared. :dunno

A number of small businesses are simply gone. These businesses had been there for years and thrived. Folks raised their families, paid taxes, owned homes and sent their kids to school from these businesses.

How much DID 911 cost the US? How many small businesses are no more? :hmm

How many dams were destroyed on September 11th, anyway? :evil

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: How Much Did 911 Cost the US?
WOW, that is a truly sad and shocling real life story Blue..

It truly is sad to see what a mess the US is becoming....

I fear Canada is not far behind you guys?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:41 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: How Much Did 911 Cost the US?
Yep, L, is was shocking and sad.

We used to live near there in the 80's and spent a lot of time on that lake. During the 90's we used to take our boat there and then prior to 9/11 we used to take our pop-up there.

So we know this area fairly well. Granted, I have not camped in a Texas State Park in 3-4 years since selling our pop-up but it was a wake up call for sure.

Can I be sure that the State Park reflects 9/11 - no. It very well could be reflective of the massive cuts imposed on the State in the last two years. I know the parks system took a big hit.

But the small businesses that used to be there? Hmmm

Yes, some of it could be simply the owner's either retired or died but I don't think that is the explanation for a lot of it. I truly think the aftermath of September 11th and the rise of Homeland Security is at fault here.

I would be interested to know the situtation in other areas of the US and Canada. Are you seeing the same thing?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 am