It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm

Meatless Monday 
Site Admin

Post Meatless Monday
I know some of ya'll here are vegans. Me, too, but only on Monday! :slap

East Texas made a fabulous minestrone soup yesterday. Found this on a food blog I read, hmmm, maybe next week?

Toasted Quinoa, Corn and Avocado Salad
From Marie Simmons’ “Fresh & Fast Vegetarian”

Serves 4 as a main dish or 8 as a side dish

1 1/2 cups quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil

Lime-Jalapeño Dressing:
2 teaspoons ground cumin
5 tablespoons olive oil vegetable oil
1/2 cup fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper, plus more to taste
1 garlic clove, grated
1 teaspoon coarse salt

1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
1 cup diced (1/2 inch) firm, ripe plum tomatoes
1/2 cup thin-sliced (1/4 inch) scallions (white and green parts)
1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

1.Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer under cold water for at least 45 seconds. Shake the strainer to remove as much water as possible. This really important as it removes saponin, a natural bitter-tasting compound that protects it from being eaten by birds. :dunno

2.Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the rinsed quinoa and cook, stirring, over medium heat until it is light golden brown, about 10 minutes.

3.Add 2 cups water to the quinoa, and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is translucent and appears to be uncoiling, 18 to 20 minutes.

4.Let stand, uncovered, until cool, about 10 minutes.

5.To Make the Dressing: Sprinkle the cumin in a small skillet, and toast over medium heat, stirring, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. When the skillet is cool to the touch, add the oil, lime juice, jalapeño pepper, garlic and salt. Transfer to a large bowl, and whisk to blend.

6.Add the cooled quinoa, corn, tomatoes and scallions to the dressing, and toss to blend. Spoon the salad onto a large platter, and sprinkle the avocado and cilantro on top.

http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/15666

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:23 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Meatless Monday
Butternut Hummus (Ottolenghi’s Butternut & Tahini Spread)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 70 minutes

Total Time: 80 minutes

Serving Size: 1 bowl

Ingredients
•1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (net weight about 2 lb or 970 gr.)
•3 tablespoons olive oil
•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•½ teaspoon salt
•4 ½ tablespoons (70 gr.) tahini paste
•½ cup (120 gr.) Greek yoghurt
•2 small garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
•1 teaspoon mixed black and white sesame seeds (or just white)
•1½ teaspoon date syrup ?(substitute maple syrup or molasses)
•2 tablespoons chopped coriander, optional

Instructions
1.Heat the oven to 350F/180C. Spread the squash out on a medium-sized baking tray, pour over olive oil and sprinkle on cinnamon and salt. Mix well; cover the tray tightly with tinfoil and roast for 70 minutes, stirring once during cooking. Remove from oven and leave to cool.

2.Transfer the cooled squash to the bowl of a food processor, along with the tahini, yoghurt and garlic. Roughly pulse so everything is combined into a coarse paste – you don't want it too smooth (you can also do this by hand using a fork or masher).

3.To serve, spread the butternut over a flat plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds, a drizzle of syrup and finish with optional coriander.

This was really good! I put maple syrup on top of mine, no chopped coriander (because we don't like it). I left off the sesame seeds 'cause I didn't have any.

Next time I will add the cinnamon and I will use plain yogurt instead of Greek yogurt. I thought the Greek yogurt made it too thick.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm