It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 37  Next
 The Golden Thread, Volume 6.0 2011 
GT Truther

Post Re: The Golden Thread, Volume 6.0 2011
Excellent Slide Show of the UK Riots - The Day After
http://photogallery.thestar.com/1036821

London Riots

======================================================

This video pretty much sums up how I feel.

BLACK SWAN IS ON THE WING

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:28 pm
GT Truther

Lynnwood wrote:

:agree , nice

PS>Love the new Avatar

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:35 pm
GT Truther

Thanks MT7! - I saw the avatar and could not resize and get it up fast enough.

Also, glad you liked the Black Swan Video..

Lynn

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:57 am
Site Admin

Quote:
AlterNet / By Laurie Penny

British Riots: Elites "Shocked" The Poor Are Rising Up Against Brutal Austerity Measures

snip

There are communities all over the country that nobody paid attention to unless there had recently been a riot or a murdered child. Well, they’re paying attention now.

Social order and the rule of law have broken down entirely. The city has been brought to a standstill; it is not safe to go out onto the streets. The looting and arson attacks have spread to at least fifty different areas across the UK, including dozens in London, and communities are now turning on each other, with the Guardian reporting on rival gangs forming battle lines. It has become clear to the disenfranchised young people of Britain, who feel that they have no stake in society and nothing to lose, that they can do what they like, and the police are utterly unable to stop them. That is what riots are all about.

Riots are about power, and they are about catharsis. They are not about poor parenting, or youth services being cut, or any of the other snap explanations that media pundits have been trotting out: structural inequalities, as a friend of mine remarked today, are not solved by a few pool tables. People riot because it makes them feel powerful, even if only for a night. People riot because they have spent their whole lives being told that they are good for nothing, and they realise that together they can do anything – literally, anything at all. People to whom respect has never been shown riot because they feel they have little reason to show respect themselves, and it spreads like fire on a warm summer night. And now people have lost their homes, and the country is tearing itself apart.

No one expected this. The so-called leaders who have taken three solid days to return from their foreign holidays to a country in flames did not anticipate this. The people running Britain had absolutely no clue how desperate things had become. They thought that after thirty years of soaring inequality, in the middle of a recession, they could take away the last little things that gave people hope, the benefits, the jobs, the possibility of higher education, the support structures, and nothing would happen. They were wrong. And now my city is burning, and it will continue to burn until we stop the blanket condemnations and blind conjecture and try to understand just what has brought viral civil unrest to Britain. Let me give you a hint: it ain’t Twitter.

Now is the time when we make our choices. Now is the time when we decide whether to descend into hate, or to put prejudice aside and work together. Now is the time when we decide what sort of country it is that we want to live in. Follow the #riotcleanup hashtag on Twitter. And take care of one another.

Read more here: http://tinyurl.com/3rklsy9

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:54 am
Site Admin

Canada has issued a travel advisory against Britain... :awe

I may be mistaken but I don't think this has happened sind WWII :scared

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Best rant I have seen on MSN regarding the TRUTH of the problem with the good ole USA

Well worth a watch

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:57 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Look who is starting again!

HERE!

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:11 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

UH OH!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:39 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

Putin 'Finds' Ancient Greek Jars While Scuba Diving...

Russia's hard man Prime Minister Vladimir Putin pulled on a wetsuit Wednesday and went scuba diving at an ancient Greek Black Sea site in the latest populist stunt preceding next year's elections.

State news reports said he descended just two metres (6.6 feet) and "luckily" discovered two sixth century urns in full presence of the media, because the water was so clear.

Television footage showed two moss-covered vases with ear-like handles sitting neatly next to each other on top of the sandy bottom as Putin swam into view.

"Treasure!" a dripping wet Putin told reporters with a big grin. "They drank it all already," he added when asked if there was anything left in the jars.

Putin -- a novice only attempting his third scuba dive -- "came across" the objects during an expedition on the southern Russian coast near Ukraine.

"The head of the expedition said they are from the sixth century AD," Putin said with a diving mask imprint still clear on his face. This would date them to the time of the early Byzantine era.

"When the ships were being loaded at the port, the jars would often break and then they would get tossed overboard," Russia's de facto leader explained.

Footage showed Putin accompanied on the diving raft by Russia's emergencies minister Sergei Shoigu and the powerful metals tycoon Oleg Deripaska.

The Basic Element company chief reportedly told Putin that he forgot his diving suit and refused to go into the water.

"What, you ran out of money?" the LifeNews.ru website quoted Putin as asking the Russian oligarch.

The high-publicity event took Putin to the Krasnodar region's Taman Peninsula -- home to the Phanagoria colony founded by the Greeks some 2,500 years ago and invaded by the ancient Rus in the 10th century.

Former Soviet intelligence officer Putin rose to the presidency in 2000 on the back of a carefully-cultivated image that mixed nationalist rhetoric with an action man image that set him apart from other Russian leaders.

He has flown a fighter jet into Chechnya and descended to the bottom of Lake Baikal in a special deep-sea vessel. Russian media have published photos of Putin wearing his judo black belt and stripped to his waist on a hunting trip.

One of his more daring escapades one year ago saw him chase whales off Russia's Pacific coast with a crossbow in hand.

"Living in general is dangerous," his office later quoted Putin as telling a reporter at the scene. He later piloted a Formula One car on a circuit near his native city of Saint Petersburg.

Continued:

http://news.yahoo.com/putin-discovers-g ... 02017.html

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:14 am
Site Admin

Thanks for the first laugh of the day, Dex! :slap :roflmao :heart

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:18 am

Bluebonnet wrote:

Thanks for the first laugh of the day, Dex! :slap :roflmao :heart

Oh.... look mummy, a porpoise thingy!!!

:spit

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 am
Profile WWW

Interesting...

Quote:
Prediction for July 14-15-16-17, 2011
A complex of 2 sunspots will appear around July 14-15-16-17, 2011.

It will be something similar to the Sunspot Complex 1191-1193 from April 18-19, 2011, Negative Sunspot Complex 1147-1149 from January 21-22, 2011 and the Negative Sunspot Complex that appeared on October 26-27, 2010.

Between July 14 and 17, 2011 we also expect a complex eruption as the extraordinary August 1, 2010 event on the Sun...! If not... then October 10-11-12-13 is the next date...

6 Friday, July 15, 2011
5 Tuesday, October 11, 2011
4 Friday, January 6, 2012
3 Tuesday, April 3, 2012
2 Friday, June 29, 2012
1 Wednesday, September 26, 2012
0 Thursday, December 20, 2012 = Armageddon

http://www.howtosurvive2012.com/htm_night/impre_02.htm

I have been reading Patrick Geryl's web stuff, and I am blown away! This guy has put together a series of info's that puts it together like no other. I have copied his book - 58728301-The-Orion-Prophecy-Will-the-World-Be-Destroyed-in-2012-Patrick-Geryl.pdf [which is off Scribd] and it makes fascinating reading. The best image I have ever seen regarding the demise of Atlantis - as deciphered off Egyptian tablets.

The story on this broke via HPH site and is called "Raven Weeps" (check the bottom of the index page...) and I must say, I missed it when it first surfaced, but hell - it makes sense!

Comments from anybody on this postulation?

:hmm

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:57 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Hello Sky,

Initially Clif High talked about Geryl in a positive way, suggesting that he was 'right on the money'. But months later he seemed to be dissing Geryl's suggestions - at least thats my impression from what someone reviewing the webbots said

But I wonder whether there was an element of disinfo here - on Clif's part? Or, that somehow the bots had been seeded with false info with the aim of making people ignore the crustal displacement theory.

Anyway, November this year is a timeframe which I can recall seeing (many months ago) when this might come to pass. It would validate religious prophecies for the sky seeming to fall, but without the horrors of a full blown physical pole shift. (still would not be a picnic however - millions perish, new climates, new seasons, possibly little food grown for a year or so?)

Simon

Sky wrote:
Interesting...

<snip>

http://www.howtosurvive2012.com/htm_night/impre_02.htm

I have been reading Patrick Geryl's web stuff, and I am blown away! This guy has put together a series of info's that puts it together like no other. I have copied his book - 58728301-The-Orion-Prophecy-Will-the-World-Be-Destroyed-in-2012-Patrick-Geryl.pdf [which is off Scribd] and it makes fascinating reading. The best image I have ever seen regarding the demise of Atlantis - as deciphered off Egyptian tablets.

The story on this broke via HPH site and is called "Raven Weeps" (check the bottom of the index page...) and I must say, I missed it when it first surfaced, but hell - it makes sense!

Comments from anybody on this postulation?

:hmm

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:17 am
GT Truther

I saw a suggestion that this is positively orientated Annunaki coming back to right some wrongs.

We shall see...

:scared :popcorn

Simon

fr33kSh0w2012 wrote:
UH OH!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:21 am
GT Truther

Well now,

Although we dont know for sure that its all over, certainly the situation in the bigger cities calmed down last night. It helped that in many areas the weather was very wet.

Instead its now the turn of the courts to see much nocturnal activity, with special all-night sittings meeting out justice to the many hundreds who have been apprehended. The courts were open overnight because so many people were arrested that there was a desire to avoid creating a backlog of cases. Swift justice like this also sends a message to potential future rioters that their actions can have serious negative consequences - such as a criminal record which will stain their names for the rest of their lives, and perhaps even a stay behind bars at Her Majesty's displeasure. (ie: time in jail). Putting aside the overtime they might earn, I can imagine that court staff were none too pleased at having to work all night.

Thanks to CCTV footage (and the police doing their own filming - even when they were unable to physically intervene they still were gathering evidence for later use) the faces of many perpetrators are known. To help with identification there have been some appeals on the TV asking if anyone recognises people shown in photographs.

Some people are saying that any theives who are receiving government unemplyment money or other benefits should have these removed (for a while) whilst those living in local government owned housing should be thrown out to live on the streets. I am not sure that these would help solve anything; indeed they could end up being counterproductive.

To help stop the theives from profiting from their crimes online retailers and people like eBay are looking out for (new) users selling items which could have been sourced 'for free'. I would expect that the police will also be visiting car boot sales, looking at the people and what they are selling.

I don't agree with the theiving, but if people were hungry / unable to afford to eat properly and therefore stole food then I think that the justice should be much more sympathetic & lenient than for those who stole electricals, clothing, etc. Thankfully we no longer transport people who are hungry and steal food to Australia or press gang them into the Navy.

In addition to the dispensing of swift justice, there is now much debate as to the causes of the riots - no not the police shooting last week but the lack of things for youngsters to do and how (in my words) bored people with idle hands do the devils work.

You may have seen a TV clip of a silhouetted lady jumping from an upstairs window with a seriously large fire in the distance. The poor lady had only been here for a short while - her sister works here and she came over (from Poland) to work as a shop assistant in a shop named Poundland (where everything costs one Pound!) Of course the lady is OK (physically), but she is now very upset emotionally, as she could have perished and lost everything she owned in the fire. Of all the things which could happen to a person (mugging, attack in the street, etc) no-one ever contemplated there would be a need to flee a burning building set alight by thugs. Especially not in a south London suburb.

re: the youtube film I've quoted below, the BBC has apologised after Darcus Howe (the man whose face we see here) was accused in a live interview of being a rioter the night before. As he said, whilst he had previously taken part in demonstrations - some of which had ended up with violence - he had never actually rioted before. The BBC have also admitted that the question was 'poorly phrased', which they said sometimes happens during live interviews.

Simon

Lynnwood wrote:
Excellent Slide Show of the UK Riots - The Day After
http://photogallery.thestar.com/1036821

London Riots

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:12 am
Site Admin

Simon this one is for you my friend....

DISARMED
Why Cameron's Crackdown Won't Work

Did BBM Cause A Riot? No, Say Tech Insiders. And It Can't Stop One Either

Where did they come from?

That was the question many spectators asked themselves this week as large groups of young people seemed to spontaneously melt out of the UK's streets and self-organise into violent mass riots across London and other cities.

Of course it didn't take long for technology - specifically the BlackBerry Messenger service that many of the rioters used to communicate - to take some of the blame.

Full Story >>>
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/08 ... ?ir=Canada

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

L2L wrote:

DISARMED

Of course it didn't take long for technology - specifically the BlackBerry Messenger service that many of the rioters used to communicate - to take some of the blame.

Full Story >>>

When will the B.S. Stop.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:58 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

Is Human Immortality A Scientific Reality?

LINK HERE!

The Rockefeller's have their tendrils planted fully into this one! can anyone say BIOWARFARE using Telomeres to age the population A.k.a instigated Progeria anyone?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:16 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Quote:
Would U.S. police have done better in London?

snip

In reviewing the response of the London Police, some observers have suggested that the U.S. experience may be helpful. In fact, the reverse may be true.

Since the 1999 WTO demonstrations in Seattle -- often called the Battle for Seattle -- the lessons learned about crowd control in America have been mixed. Unlike London, the Seattle Police in 1999 largely knew that trouble was coming since each preceding gathering of the World Trade Organization had brought out demonstrators and self-described anarchists intent on sending a message.

To confront them, Seattle's officers were armed with water cannons, flat edged batons, gloves with metal bearings sewn into them, rubber bullets and a vast supply of OC spray, a chemical agent that causes burning pain in the eyes and a severe loss of breath. As Seattle's Mayor Paul Schell was quoted in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, "We've given them RoboCop material."

Despite their preparation, the estimated 75,000 protesters quickly overwhelmed police -- who reacted slowly at first since organizers had promised that peaceful marchers would control any troublemakers. However, once the large crowds had blocked WTO representatives from their meetings and much of Seattle's downtown had become paralyzed, pockets of vandalism began and the confrontations quickly turned violent.

In the end, the confrontation left behind images of Seattle Police pursuing unarmed protesters only to gas and beat them once they were caught. The resulting conflict not only promoted the protesters' cause, but damaged the city's image, led to the resignation of the police chief and likely contributed to the defeat of the city's mayor in his bid for re-election two years later.

snip

In London the police appear to have learned those lessons well and avoided similar mistakes.

If anything, my only criticism would be that it took three days for them to fully deploy. Three outside factors may go far to explain that, however:

• The police were largely caught off guard. In Seattle -- and most other conflicts in the United States -- the police knew the event was coming and had time to mobilize. In London, the events were largely spontaneous.

• Unlike in Seattle, the top officials of the Metropolitan Police had resigned three weeks prior to the riots. It can't be known if police deployment and response times would have been quicker if the chain of command had remained intact.

• Some hesitation among police may have occurred as a result of their more aggressive response during the 2009 G-20. In that instance, a protester died after being struck by a police baton. The announcement two months ago that the officer involved in the 2009 incident was to stand trial for manslaughter may well have had a chilling impact.

snip

And finally, we in the United States should recognize that the youth unemployment and other conditions that led to the conflicts in London exist here, as well. In our case, potential rioters are far better armed than are those in the U.K. so we would be well advised to pay attention and learn the lessons from London.

Read more here: http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/12/kenney.london.policing/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Simon - thoughts? Anyone else?

What struck me was this

Quote:
Unlike in Seattle, the top officials of the Metropolitan Police had resigned three weeks prior to the riots. It can't be known if police deployment and response times would have been quicker if the chain of command had remained intact.

Rupert Murdoch/News of the World...

Things that make ya go hmmmmm, right? :hmm

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:58 am
GT Truther

L2L wrote:

DISARMED

<snip>

Did BBM Cause A Riot? No, Say Tech Insiders. And It Can't Stop One Either

Where did they come from?

That was the question many spectators asked themselves this week as large groups of young people seemed to spontaneously melt out of the UK's streets and self-organise into violent mass riots across London and other cities.

Full Story >>>

Thanks L2L, of course Blackberries (etc) are well suited to sharing of information in this way.

The stories are coming out now about people who helped others, the people who were thought to have been upstanding members of society who were caught looting, etc. For instance, a young lady who has met London's Mayor and was going to bea 'role model' 'ambassador' greeting visitors to the 2012 Olympics was photographed 'showing off' a dress she had looted, throwing bricks at a police car (plus encouraging friends to help her) and boasting about having had the best day of her life. Busy lady! However, when her 'absoloutely horrified' mother saw her daughter on TV footage of the riots she (the mother) alerted the police and now the young lady is behind bars...

A man who was beaten up when he tried to stop the thugs from creating a fire has now died. But, as if by miracle, it really does seem that no-one perished in the buildings which were burnt down.

In an effort to understand why so many people are so unhappy representatives of young adult groups, childrens groups, charities, etc are now being interviewed by TV commentators, and it would not surprise me if politicians speak with some of them them as well. This is good, and hopefully it will be worth their while.

People are still shell shocked - the rioting and looting etc in Tottenham was one thing. Its how this spread so far, so wide, and with such disastrous results which has taken people aback. So many businesses have lost everything and possibly may not now survive.

Someone went to Croydon and took a few photos... it brings things home when one sees familiar places having been affected like this. Church Street is a narrowish road lined by small shops. It should be busy with shoppers. Near the tramstop is a confectionary shop which sells dried and chocolate covered nuts and fruit by weight (you take a small bag and select what you want from the individual containers). I normally buy some dried nuts from there, as an alternative snack to chocolate. Almonds, brazils, walnuts, etc... I wonder whether they are still there! I plan to find out during the coming week.

To my parents the firestorms and scenes of devastation brought back childhood memories from WW2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewgrantham

The Reeves furniture store which was burnt down is very near to here. But they have a second building nearby which was undamaged so are going to try to continue trading. Lets hope they survive.

Simon

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:19 pm
GT Truther

Thanks Blue, fascinating stuff.

There has been so much discussion this week about the reactions of the police. Were they caught out? Probably yes. Not just by the events, but by the age of many of the criminal thugs. I think that especially at first many of them were too vulnerable to attack and therefore had to withdraw.

A Jamaican lady related to some of the rioters said that such would never be tolerated 'back home', as the police would just shoot them. Gosh, I would have been horrified if this had been done here. They may have been thugs going in the rampage, but they were not killing people.

Water cannon, CS gas, tasers, plastic bullets, tear gas, using the army, etc are all being advocated. Maybe, and hopefully this 'cry for change' will be heeded so that there wont be a 'next time. Maybe though there is a greater chance of pigs flying. Only time will tell.

Anyway, the police are now out in force and also, the thugs have seen how CCTV and media cameras can be used to help catch them. Perhaps these will make them think twice before rioting any more.

I dont know whether the Chief Constable issue would have made a different. One could also ask whether the Prime Minister and London's Mayor being away on holiday / vacation also affected how the events were reacted to. Until the really big Londonwide flare-up it just seemed inconceivable that such would happen.

I noted how the US wants to learn from this as well. That is good, as maybe it will prevent far worse rioting and much higher loss of life - said because in the US far more ordinary people have access to guns.

Simon

Bluebonnet wrote:
Quote:
Would U.S. police have done better in London?

snip

In reviewing the response of the London Police, some observers have suggested that the U.S. experience may be helpful. In fact, the reverse may be true.

Since the 1999 WTO demonstrations in Seattle -- often called the Battle for Seattle -- the lessons learned about crowd control in America have been mixed. Unlike London, the Seattle Police in 1999 largely knew that trouble was coming since each preceding gathering of the World Trade Organization had brought out demonstrators and self-described anarchists intent on sending a message.

To confront them, Seattle's officers were armed with water cannons, flat edged batons, gloves with metal bearings sewn into them, rubber bullets and a vast supply of OC spray, a chemical agent that causes burning pain in the eyes and a severe loss of breath. As Seattle's Mayor Paul Schell was quoted in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, "We've given them RoboCop material."

Despite their preparation, the estimated 75,000 protesters quickly overwhelmed police -- who reacted slowly at first since organizers had promised that peaceful marchers would control any troublemakers. However, once the large crowds had blocked WTO representatives from their meetings and much of Seattle's downtown had become paralyzed, pockets of vandalism began and the confrontations quickly turned violent.

In the end, the confrontation left behind images of Seattle Police pursuing unarmed protesters only to gas and beat them once they were caught. The resulting conflict not only promoted the protesters' cause, but damaged the city's image, led to the resignation of the police chief and likely contributed to the defeat of the city's mayor in his bid for re-election two years later.

snip

In London the police appear to have learned those lessons well and avoided similar mistakes.

If anything, my only criticism would be that it took three days for them to fully deploy. Three outside factors may go far to explain that, however:

• The police were largely caught off guard. In Seattle -- and most other conflicts in the United States -- the police knew the event was coming and had time to mobilize. In London, the events were largely spontaneous.

• Unlike in Seattle, the top officials of the Metropolitan Police had resigned three weeks prior to the riots. It can't be known if police deployment and response times would have been quicker if the chain of command had remained intact.

• Some hesitation among police may have occurred as a result of their more aggressive response during the 2009 G-20. In that instance, a protester died after being struck by a police baton. The announcement two months ago that the officer involved in the 2009 incident was to stand trial for manslaughter may well have had a chilling impact.

snip

And finally, we in the United States should recognize that the youth unemployment and other conditions that led to the conflicts in London exist here, as well. In our case, potential rioters are far better armed than are those in the U.K. so we would be well advised to pay attention and learn the lessons from London.

Read more here: http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/12/kenney.london.policing/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Simon - thoughts? Anyone else?

What struck me was this

Quote:
Unlike in Seattle, the top officials of the Metropolitan Police had resigned three weeks prior to the riots. It can't be known if police deployment and response times would have been quicker if the chain of command had remained intact.

Rupert Murdoch/News of the World...

Things that make ya go hmmmmm, right? :hmm

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 pm

I know this is off topic, but as we don't have a general Science section (L2L?) I wanted to share an achievement that is for me as a mechanical engineer - one of the breakthrough events in man's history! Well done Festo (German innovation, and not the Japs this time.)

It is about that silver lining we all look for - Life can be an amazing experience if knowledge and intelligence is used creatively... :heart

:clap :clap :clap

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:32 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

What does the movie DEEP IMPACT and ELENIN/NIBIRU have in common?

LOTS!!!

ELENIN!

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:08 am
Profile YIM

These two articles are a nice tribute to truthers like our family here on GT. Makes interesting reading if you have some time...

11 Occult Secrets Now In the Open by Zen Gardner

Power is derived in many ways. One of them is through ignorance. Deprive people of enough empowering truths while giving the illusion of an essential central control system and you'll have the masses in your back pocket.

But we're on to them, and the Word is spreading fast. And Truth is powerful in many dimensions, many beyond the reach of would-be controllers. That's empowering.

Snip

What's Really "Alternative"?
It's always struck me as odd that natural health and wellness treatments and techniques that have been practiced for centuries are now called "alternative" therapies, while very recently developed synthetic medicine, drug dependence and invasive surgical approaches are considered the norm.

This shifting, relativistic and continually revised "standard" applies to every sphere of society.

It's like Fukushima.

-How do you make the world safe from drastic rises in global radiation? Raise the acceptable danger levels....easy.

-Does history have some revealing, uncomfortable truths that current and later generations may use to expose autocratic, non-benevolent leadership tendencies? Change it. The history, that is. Move or remove the goalposts.

-Are science and spirituality converging and revealing the amazing power of the human spirit and the redundancy and irrelevance of hierarchical authority? Compartmentalize and quell it...for as long as you can. Certainly you can't run an effective "hive" if the bees think they don't need a queen and master drones.

This is their M.O. And the seeming total fascist takeover of the earth sometimes seems inevitable.

But fear not. This is a phase the ancients and seers knew was coming. We will soon experience a "reset" the likes of which our planet has only seen on much smaller scales. (Apparently this may all be cyclical and all part of the process, so you can rest in that if you'd like.)

Snip

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/897/483/WNL/11_Occult_Secrets_Now_In_the_Open.html

A 21-Truth Salute to Activists and the Alternative Media: The Journey From Conspiracy Theory to Conspiracy Fact

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King, Strength to Love

Activist Post - with contributions from Zen Gardner

Our media is mired in cynicism, regardless of the label of mainstream or alternative. Sadly, it is what seems to drive the news. People flock to the latest disaster, scenario of hopelessness, or individual story that proves things can get so much worse for us . . . personally. The media preys on our instinct of self-preservation, rather than promote this instinct as an example of what drives us toward self-empowerment.

We'd like to present an overview of issues demonstrating that all is not lost. Just the opposite, in fact. The powers-that-be have admitted that they are scrambling for purchase amid humanity's global awakening. This new knowledge has led to an increasing number of people being exposed to alternative information that questions the official version of events, and the underlying secret mechanisms of control.

Snip

We are clearly at a major crossroads between the awakening of humanity and those who desire to limit its freedom of choice and expression. A large part of our current predicament is rooted in intellectual apathy and self-censorship. We must have the courage to ask controversial questions and explore some of the other conspiracy theories of today that could become the conspiracy facts of tomorrow.

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/08/21-truth-salute-to-activists-and.html

:clap

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Comet Elenin: the FAQ for the worried

Will it Hit Earth:
No, its closest approach is 0.23 AU on Oct 16, 2011, where 1 AU is the distance from the Earth to the Sun. To put this in perspective, this is only a little closer than the closest approach of Venus to Earth, and roughly 100 times the distance from the Earth to the Moon. This distance is from the latest MPEC ephemeris which is based on over 100 observations from multiple observatories that have been continuously tracking the comet, so it won't change appreciably.

But its Earth MOID is only 0.03 AU!
MOID stands for Minimal Orbital Interaction Distance. It is how close the orbits are together, not how close the objects are themselves. It's important for objects that have multiple return orbits, like potential asteroid impactors, but not for a one-off visitor like Elenin (well, you could wait for another 10,000 years or so). Earth and Elenin themselves never get closer than 100 times the distance from the Earth to the Moon.

Surely if Elenin Was Going to Hit the Earth NASA/the Government Would Hush it Up?
Which government? The Australian Government, the UK Government? The Italian Government? The South African Government? Amateur astronomers world wide are following this comet and continually talking to each other. The have the programs to work out where the comet is going. If the comet was coming anywhere near us, the amateur community would be first to know, and there is no keeping them quite. Consider how wide spread the information is about Apophis, which is a real, if extremely marginal, hazard.

Will it Cause Earthquakes, Abnormally High Tides or Other Disasters:
No, Elenin is a mere 3-5 kilometres across and has less than a billionth of the tidal force of the Moon at closest approach (as well as a negligible magnetic field). If the Moon can't cause the poles to tip, cause massive tidal floods or earthquakes, Comet 2010 X1 Elenin won't. We've been closer to other comets before with no ill effect.

But What About Mensur Omerbashich's Paper that Says Elenin is Causing Earthquakes?
It shows nothing of the sort, earthquakes are no more common during comet alignments than at any other time (see here for an update, earthquakes still not caused by Elenin).

But it's bigger than Jupiter!
No, that's the coma , the thin haze of gas and dust that surrounds the comet nucleus. The nucleus of C/2010 X1 Elenin is roughly 3-4 Km in diameter and Elenin has a coma around 50,000 km wide at the time of writing (which is a third of the diameter of Jupiter). The average density of the coma is about the same as the density of the atmosphere on the Moon. A coma is a feature of all comets that approach the Sun closely, for example comet 81P Wild (nucleus 4 Km diameter) had a coma of 50,000 Km and 103P Hartley had a coma of 150,000 Km. The Great Comet of 1811 had a nucleus of around 30km in diameter and had a coma nearly as big as the Sun. Comet Halley is 6x15 km and had a coma 100,000 km wide when it last approached Earth. We survived them all (and 103P Hartley came nearly twice as close as Elenin will), and we will survive Elenin without incident.

The size of Elenin has been independently confirmed (well, it's probably smaller), by observation of the orbit of the small asteroid 1999 RQ176 when it had a close encounter with Elenin.

But I Can See a Picture of it in WikiSky, it's HUGE!
That is the carbon star CW Leonis.
http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... s-not.html

Didn't it Just Cause Saturn's Tilt to Change?
No, the author of that article didn't realize that telescopes invert the image.
http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ow-do.html

Is Elenin a Moon of a Brown Dwarf Star?
No.
http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... brown.html

But Brown Dwarf Stars are so Cold, you Can't See Them.
No, coldest detected so far is ~370K (about the temperature of a hot cup of tea), the the warmest are around 2200 K, and most range between 500-1000 K. They may not produce much visible light, but they reflect light. Jupiter has a composition similar to those of Drown Dwarf stars. Jupiter's cloud tops are a chilly 128 K and it reflects light just fine. Any Brown Dwarf in the inner solar system would be painfully obvious.

Will Going Through the Comets Tail Affect Us?
No, should the rather small tail of Elenin actually pass over us, it's doing a pretty good imitation of a vacuum (about 100 atoms per cm3).
http://www.ianridpath.com/halley/halley12.htm
We have been through bigger and denser comet tails before with no effect whatsoever (especially the Great Comet of 1861).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/1861_J1

Why isn't Comet Elenin in the News?
For the same reason that the other 16 comets discovered in 2010 didn't get in the news, or the 5 comets discovered in 2011. They are all dim. The News is only interested in comets that are spectacular, readily visible to the unaided eye or are being visited by spacecraft. Comet 2009 P1 will be as bright, if not brighter than C/2010 X1 Elenin, but that's not in the news either. Amateur and professional astronomers are watching comet Elenin and others avidly, but the news channels don't care about our obsessions with faint fuzzies.

Why Can't I Find Information of Elenin at the NASA Website?
Because NASA is not the arbiter of all things astronomical. You won't find information on C/2009 P1, C/2011 C1 or any of the faint comets discovered during 2010 and 2011. NASA does have information of comets that its spacecraft have visited, or are interesting in some other way, but it's not an exhaustive comet site like Cometography or Aerith.

I Saw Comet Elenin Near the Sun in August 2010/Now: In August 2010 only really powerful telescopes could see Elenin.
You saw Venus. If you are seeing something bright near the Sun in the morning sky now, it's Venus.

How Can I Tell What IS in the Sky and Avoid The Venus Confusion?
For freeware standalone programs there is Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium (my favourite). For Web based solutions Skyview Cafe, Sky-Map and GoogleEarth (KMZ file here) all work.

Where Can I Find Orbital Elements for Celestia or Stellarium?
Here.
http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... a-and.html

Where Can I Find Images of Elenin?
Here, and here and a nice image of C/2010 X1 near to NGC 3376 is here.
http://gustavomuler.fotografiaastronomi ... 08-J47.jpg

Here.
http://gustavomuler.fotografiaastronomi ... 19-J47.jpg

and a nice image of C/2010 X1 near to NGC 3376 is here.
http://martinmobberley.co.uk/images/201 ... 20_mpm.jpg

I have Photographed/ Seen a Photograph of a Double Sun, is this Elenin?
It's lens flare. http://yfrog.com/z/h4afanqqj

(L2L "Nice Chem Trails in the above linked Photo")

Other Good Links:

Leonid Elenin calculates what would happen to planets if a Brown Dwarf was in the inner solar system. The Sceptics on Elenin.
http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/s ... _this_year

Astronotes, 10 facts you need to know about Elenin.
http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/10-fac ... lenin.html

Astronomy Beat on Elenin (PDF)
http://www.astrosociety.org/elenin/ab2011-72.pdf

Link to Story >>>
http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... rried.html

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 37  Next