It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 am

Family Prepping for 5 people 
Site Admin

Post Family Prepping for 5 people
Family Prepping menus / shopping lists for 5 people

Menus: (Calorie counts)

Breakfast (400 to 900 calories)
Pancakes (3) four inch with syrup 2 oz + milk and Tang (530)
Scrambled eggs with bacon + milk and Tang (400)
Oatmeal with apple slices + milk and Tang (400)
French toast sandwich with apple filling + milk and Tang (650)
Oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon + milk and Tang (400)
Continental breakfast (toast, Danish and muffins) with jam + milk and Tang (900)
Hot rice with milk, raisins and cinnamon + milk and Tang (470)

Lunch (310 to 675 calories)
Tuna salad sandwich + milk (500)
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich + milk (675)
Grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup + milk (600)
Ramen noodles with chicken + milk (540)
Chicken Corn Chowder Soup with crackers + milk (310)
Pigs in a blanket (Mini hot dogs in dough with cheese – baked) + milk (380)
Chicken over noodles with gravy + milk (400)

Dinner (500 to 700 calories)
Ham with mashed potatoes with butter and green beans + milk (500)
Spaghetti and meat balls with corn + milk (600)
Rice and beans with peas and bacon casserole + milk (650)
Hamburger Pie Casserole (has green beans in it) + milk (700)
Chicken a la king with rice and peas + milk (600)
Spam quiche with carrots + milk (700)
Salmon Fillet with corn and mashed potatoes with butter + milk (600)

Snacks and desserts (50 to 300 calories)
Cookies (300) Rice Pudding (200) Baked apples with topping (250)
Raisins (100) Cup cake (300) Ice Cream (250)
Pudding (100) Applesauce ½ cup (50) Slice of Pie (300)

Caveats:
-- Homemade bread has a lot more calories than store bought does. I just did a quick calc and while the bread I make is supposed to yield 18 slices, I get 10 out of each loaf. Using homemade bread and a regular bread cutting guide – you are looking at a loaf a day in your family. The good news is that the calorie count for mine is 167 a slice or 334 for the sandwich bread alone (not including the filling).

-- When calc serving sizes I doubled the rice and mashed potatoes since most people do not serve 2 oz portions. I also used a 3oz serving of salmon and meat for dinner portions

-------------------------------------------------------------

The BUDGET and SHOPPING LISTS

Pal,

In your budget you did not allow for beverages.

Milk: If all five of you drank (3) 10 oz glasses of milk a day you are looking at 1050 oz/week. Allowing extra for baking needs, you are looking at spending $273 for 20 large powdered milk boxes. Do not prep this – put on your last minute list. Powdered milk has a very short shelf life

Tang: God source of Vit. C 6 lg canisters = $35.28

Shopping list
$800 for three months (includes incidentals like coffee, tea, margarine, honey, oil etc).

Pancake Mix (2 individual mixes per week from Walmart) .66 x 12 weeks = 24 packages $8
Syrup 20 oz /week x 12 weeks = 240 oz $16 (Sams club Mrs. Butterworth (6) 64 oz bottles – allows extra uses
Eggs (powdered or frozen) = $20 (from Honeyville – includes s/h)
Bacon 10 slices /wk = 120 slices == $17 = 144 slices allows for extras
Oatmeal -Quaker instant 10/wk x 12 weeks = Sam’s 55 box x 2 = 18.56 +2.50 1 box of ten @ Walmart $21.06
Apple slices – dehydrate them in oven (see thread about this) $4
Rice 5 lbs a week (allows for extra uses) $25
Apple Pie filling 1.50 x 24 $36
Raisins 20 oz a week = Sam’s 3 large double bags $20.50

Tuna 3 cans a week x 12 weeks = $18
Peanut Butter 10 oz /wk x 12 wk = $13 for 2 Jiff dbl packs (80 oz /pk) allows extra for cookies
Jelly 16 oz / wk x 12 wks = $9.36 for 3 Welch’s grape dbl packs (64 oz /pk)
Tomato Soup 3 cans/wk = $21.84 Campbells cases at Sams (3) @ 7.28 ea
Cheese 15 slices a week or 180 slices = $25 for 2 5lb loaves of American cheese Sam’s = 320 slices (for extras)
Ramen noodles 5/wk //60 for 12 wks = $7.76 for 2 cases of 36 ea Sam’s = 72 (allows extra)
Canned chicken 2 cans /wk// 24 cans = $50.85 for 25 cans
Chicken corn chowder 2 cans / wk = $3 on sale or $5 off sale = $36 - $50 depending on sales
Saltines 1 sleeve/week = 3 boxes = $6
Vienna Sausage 3 cans/wk = $13.52 for two cases at Sams
Walmart ready-made pie dough 3/wk 36 tubes = $54
Noodles 12 packages = $24

Ham (4) 3 packs of canned DAK hams = $30.24
Pineapple chunks for ham 3.38 (lg tidbits can at Sam’s for over ham)
Honey lg 80 oz Sam’s (for ham and baking) $7.67
Mashed Potatoes 20 svgs/wk = (3) 3.24lb boxes $14.64
Green Beans 24 cans Del Monte at Sam’s = $15.76
Peas 24 cans $20.40 @ Sam’s Le Seur
Spaghetti 20 oz /wk = (3) 6lb bags @ Sam’s = $9
Meat Balls (25 meatballs per week) = 23.76 (2) lg frozen bags @ Sam’s
Corn 4 cans / wk = 48 cans @ .50 ea = $24
Hamburger Meat (2) 6lb frozen bags @ Sams = $24
Or 1 can wk / 12 cans = $70 from Internet Grocer (long shelf life)
Tomato Sauce 24 cans = $9.74 for (2) Hunt’s 12 packs @ Sams
Onion flakes $4.34 (Tone’s brand at Sam’s)
Chicken a la king Swanson 24 cans = $48
Spam 12 cans $23.74 for (2) 6 packs at Sam’s
Cheese swiss $7.46 at Sams for 2 lbs
Cheese mozzarella 5.64 for 2 lb pack at Sams
Onions $6 for 6 lbs
Salmon $18 for 12 cans at Walmart

Bread: 9 loaves per week x 2 cups per loaf of flour = 18 cups/week

Flour (2) 25lb bags at Sam’s $13
Sugar 25 lbs at Sam’s $10.97
Salt 25 lbs $3.44
Yeast 2 lbs $3.87
Oil vegetable 1.25 gallon $6.88

Coffee $9.67 Folgers Lg Canister
Tea 312 tea bags Lipton $7.57

Margarine Spread 5lb tub Shepps at Sam’s $3.32

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Post Re: Family Prepping for 5 people
For a group of 8 people (1)

Quote:
Let’s imagine that your group comprises, about eight people, and you have to live in the wild for an extended period of time.

1. You will need a tarpaulin. It will provide protection from the sun and rain, and give you somewhere to sit and set up your table and chairs. Your tarp should be coloured green or brown so that if it needs to be camouflaged you already have a sound base colour to work with. It probably isn’t wise to buy an already camouflaged tarp as these will attract undue attention in some areas and give the impression that you are survivalists. Never use the word survivalist when not on this forum.

2. Water containers. At least 2x20 litre plastic water containers per person. Plastic 2 litre milk or juice containers can be added to this.

3. Plastic buckets. These are indispensable and have many uses, eg., carrying water, washing, collecting wild food, scavenging on the sea shore, and even growing plants in etc. They sell for as little as 80 cents each, but it is probably wiser to spend a little more and invest in better quality plastic. This is the type of plastic that isn’t brittle.

4. A cooking plate and grill. These will get a lot of use over your camp fire.

5. Blankets. About 3 blankets per person is realistic. If you can afford it buy 2 sleeping bags per person instead of blankets. The cheap Big W type of sleeping blanket that, when unzipped, opens out to form a blanket is ideal as they are very warm. Again, if you can afford it make one of these sleeping bags a good quality sub-zero bag. It gets verry coldddd in the mountains.

6. Ground sheets. These are just plastic sheets that go on the ground that provide insulation from water and dirt. Get the ex-military ones if you can because they are very tough and will last for years.

The above represents the first stage. These items represent basic survival ie., shelter, warmth and water.

We now have to pay a visit to Uncle Sparhawk and buy a few necessities.

1. You will need a water filter. Unfortunately the days of being able to drink water straight from the bubbling brook are over. All water in rivers is polluted and will make you sick if you drink it. You’ve got to filter it, and preferably boil it as well.

2. Buy a compass. Too many survivalists buy cheap compasses that just won’t go the distance. Get a good sighting compass and learn to use it. You must also have maps of your intended bug out area. To this I would also add a GPS.

3. Buy a first aid kit and then enlarge it by adding lots more consumables, like bandages, cotton buds, disinfectant, splinter probes, Bandaids etc.

4. Get a folding knife. A top of the line knife isn’t necessary. These will set you back about $400 and we aren’t made of money. But get a good one just the same.

Now, let’s go to the supermarket.

1. We will need some disposable cigarette lighters.

2. We will need at least a couple of boxes of candles.

3. A couple of boxes of groceries.

4. A couple of saucepans and a fry pan.

5. A tin opener.

6. Knives and forks.

7. A plastic wash basin.

8. A few watertight containers for storing food in as well as other valuable items.

9. At the very least, an elementary tool kit. Eg., a pair of pliers, a spade, a crowbar, a hacksaw etc. Your tools are very important. Look after them.

10. You need entertainment. I can’t stress this enough.

Note: Something often not mentioned in survivalist literature is entertainment. If you have ever gone out into the bush by yourself you’ll know what I mean. We need entertainment - our minds need something to do. We need books, music, radio etc.

So to have music we must have electricity. To have electricity means we need a battery and solar charger, which are fortunately pretty cheap. A ten watt charger and a car battery is sufficient. We can run a CD player, radio, mp3 player etc now and then, or we can hook a couple together in parallel and there will be plenty of power. Start collecting this gear and get together your favourite music..

Assuming you’ve still got the clothes you stand up in the above represent the survival necessities required for short term survival, provided your bug out area does not have a severely cold climate, in which case you will need to invest in warm clothing and tents. But remember, your aim is to remain mobile. You can’t do this if you are carrying too much gear and supplies. Everything you have must have its job and carry nothing that you don’t need. I call these unnecessary extras ‘axle breakers’, because that is all the extra weight can do for you, break your axles and nothing else.

You don’t need 24 tin openers, 16 shifting spanners, enough pots and pans to cook for an army, you just need one of each item. Remember also, that ATSHTF these items will be everywhere - the streets will likely be covered in these items, but the streets will not be covered in GPS’s, quality compasses, water filters etc. So you can see where you should be investing your resources.

I regularly go through my equipment and supplies and ask of each item, do I really need this? What am I going to do with this? Is this item merely duplicating another? It is a good idea to do this on a regular basis and at least separate those non-essential items from the essential ones. If you’ve only got five minutes to run into your home and grab those essentials that will allow your family to survive, you don’t want to grab the wrong box with the 50 tin openers, and leave your GPS and revolver behind.

If your idea of survivalism is to turn your land into a homestead, there is nothing wrong with having five crates of tin openers, but just the same, your running away gear should always be stored separately.

(1)
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 968964/pg2

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Post Re: Family Prepping for 5 people
Ermm.. shouldn't that be Powdered Milk?

Food Storage Friday @ Secrets of Mom

Low fat Powdered Milk

This is pasteurized skim milk reduced to a powdered concentrate. It can be found in two forms, regular and instant. They are both made from milk in a spray-drying process, but the instant variety has been given further processing to make it more easily soluble in water than regular dry milk. Both types have the same nutrient composition.

Regular Powdered Milk

More compact and requires less storage space than the instant variety.
To make; mix your milk with warm water using a wire whip, then chill. Before serving, give it another quick stir and serve. This will give the milk better flavor.
Need 4-#10 cans per adult = 1 c. per day. You'll need more for children.

Whey Based Milk (Morning Moo, Swiss Maid, Mountain Mills, etc.)

Most of the milk protein has been removed: Morning Moo, Swiss Maid, etc.
Does NOT meet protein needs of growing children.
Best tasting of the milks
Will NOT make yogurt or cheese because the milk solids have been removed. Whey is what’s left over after making cheese or yogurt.

Instant Powdered Milk

Instant milk is made by taking regular powder and making it a little flakier.
Most common variety found in grocery stores.
Dissolves instantly in cold water (will lump up in warm water)
Need 5 - #10 cans per person = 1 c. per day, more for children.

Flavored Nonfat Dry Milk

This may be found packaged in a variety of forms from a low calorie diet
drink made with artificial sweetener to cocoa mix or malted milk. The key
ingredient is the dry milk so buy and store these products accordingly. They
have less calcium than plain milks.

Dry Whole Milk

This dry milk has a higher fat content and therefore a shorter shelf life than nonfat. Other than that, it can be used in exactly the same way. Dry whole milk is difficult to find, but can sometimes be found where camping supplies are sold and from a few online providers, or in the Mexican food aisle of the grocery store under the brand name of Nido by Nestle.

Buttermilk Powder

Dry buttermilk is for use in recipes calling for buttermilk. Since it has a slightly higher fat content than nonfat dry milk, it generally does not keep as long. The acid in buttermilk reacts with baking soda or baking powder in your recipes to make batters rise a bit. This is what gives you puffy pancakes and batter breads.

Advantages to Using Powdered Milk

It needs no refrigeration (until reconstituted)
It is easy to store for long periods of time
By making just what you need there is less waste
It is fast and easy to measure and mix
Adding 1 T. dry milk to 1 c. fresh milk increases: protein, B vitamins, calcium and minerals.
Here are a few recipes that I use powdered milk in on a regular basis.

Now here is the most important reason I think that people should store powdered milk. You can use it to make baby formula. I have personally never tried this. My kids refused to drink formula, period. (Which is ironic because for whatever reason formula companies still send me samples and coupons. At least my local food pantry got something out of it.) If there was some kind of crisis and I have a neighbor with a baby, I want to be in a position to help out. So here are a couple of baby formula recipes. Now this won't work if the baby has a milk allergy, and it doesn't have the extra vitamins and additives that commercial formulas do, but in a bind, it will do.

Baby Formula
⅓ c + 2t. instant powdered milk
1 ⅓ c boiling water
Mix together completely. Add:
1 Tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons sugar

Baby Formula 2
1- 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups of water
1 1/3 Tbsp sugar
Boil water for 5 minutes, add milk and sugar. Pour into prepared bottles and cover.
Ready to use. Refrigerate unused portion. (DO NOT use Karo syrup or honey for sugar)

Wed May 18, 2011 12:59 pm
Profile YIM