Avian Influenza News 
Site Admin

Post Avian Influenza News
Hmmm - maybe we need a new forum for our old "friend?"

Bird flu kills Indonesian girl: hospital :candle

She was admitted on Monday and died on Wednesday. -AFP

Mon, May 03, 2010
AFP

JAKARTA, INDONESIA, May 3, 2010 (AFP) - A four-year-old girl has died of bird flu in Indonesia, the country hardest hit by the virus, a doctor said Monday.

The girl died last week after she was admitted to Arifin Achmad hospital in Pekanbaru, Riau province, with high fever, the hospital's bird flu unit head, Azizman Saad, said.

"She was admitted on Monday and died on Wednesday. We're not sure if she had contact with chickens but the test results confirmed she was infected by the H5N1 virus," he added.

According to the World Health Organization, as of last month H5N1 had killed 292 people across the world since 2003. The official toll for Indonesia stands at 135.

The virus typically spreads from birds to humans through direct contact, but experts fear it could mutate into a form easily transmissible between humans, with the potential to kill millions in a pandemic.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Health/Story/A1Story20100503-213980.html

Tue May 18, 2010 10:41 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Avian Influenza News
Israel to assist with WB bird flu outbreak

Washington - In response to last week's avian flu outbreak in a West Bank village chicken population, the Israeli Agricultural Ministry has sent veterinary reinforcements for the culling of the birds and echoed the Palestinian's call for international organizations to help absorb to cost of the outbreak to farmers in the affected village, UN news agency IRIN reported Monday.

The outbreak occurred in Bal' village near Tulkarem in the West Bank late last week. Bal'a exports up to 5,000 cartons of eggs and hundreds of pounds of meat each day, which is why Israel is on high alert, as well. An Israeli Healthy Ministry spokesman told IRIN, "We are always on the lookout for poultry and eggs smuggled into Israel from the Palestinian Authority [PA] but now we are tightening supervision at the PA-Israel crossings." IRIN said PA security forces surrounded the village during the culling to ensure no poultry was smuggled out for sale.

Reports on the outbreak last week said 750,000 will have to be culled, and today roughly 250,000 have already been put down.

Avian flu is not only restricted to the West Bank. May 7, Israel reported an outbreak in a zoo at Kibbutz Ein Gedi on the Dead Sea. International law obliges any country experiencing an avian flu outbreak to cease export of poultry and poultry products for one month.

No human cases have been reported in the Bal'a outbreak or in Israel.

http://palestinenote.com/cs/blogs/news/archive/2010/05/17/israel-to-assist-with-wb-bird-flu-outbreak.aspx

Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 am
Site Admin

New avian flu outbreak hits Laos

Monday May 17 2010

The first case of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) for more than a year has been reported in Laos capital, Vientiane.

The veterinary authorities sent an Immediate Notification dated 14 May to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).

According to the report, the outbreak started in a layer flock at Xaythany, an area of Vientiane on 27 April. Of the 1004 birds, 44 died and the rest have been destroyed. The presence of the H5N1 sub-type of the virus has been confirmed.

The last HPAI outbreak in the country was in April 2009.

http://www.agra-net.com/portal2/home.jsp?template=newsarticle&artid=20017776885&pubid=ag002

Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 am

I've been seeing reports of HPAI on ProMed, but there haven't been many. Remember, BF is endemic in some countries; they aren't going to be able to eradicate it completely. However, it just doesn't have what it takes to "go viral", so to speak. Thank God. I am looking for a new pathogen, one that hasn't been around the block, to appear and begin to spread. It might be the fungal infection C. gatii. I'm trying to keep an eye on that.

Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Hey Rutsie! :wavey Been wondering where you've been lately.

Yeah, I agree about the possibility of a new pathogen. Just decided to do a Google search on H5N1 today for grins. Hair on my neck stood up at some of the info above. Brought back old memories - some good and some bad.

I think I may still keep a weather eye on this one, though. :popcorn

Tue May 18, 2010 11:27 am

BB;
Quote:
The virus typically spreads from birds to humans through direct contact, but experts fear it could mutate into a form easily transmissible between humans, with the potential to kill millions in a pandemic.

It still could, all we need is some really bad Luck! IMHO

Tue May 18, 2010 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Quote:
It still could, all we need is some really bad Luck! IMHO

Ummm hmmm! Don't know what made me search today. It may just be that I haven't looked at the bird flu news (or any sites for that matter) in several months.

Something tells me to keep an eye on this. :dunno

Tue May 18, 2010 2:18 pm