It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:26 pm

Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds 
Site Admin

Post Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds
Oh yea yuh bah baby! There it is!!!!!:clap

Aug 2 (Reuters) - Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same.

Tumor cells fed both glucose and fructose used the two sugars in two different ways, the team at the University of California Los Angeles found.

They said their finding, published in the journal Cancer Research, may help explain other studies that have linked fructose intake with pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest cancer types.

"These findings show that cancer cells can readily metabolize fructose to increase proliferation," Dr. Anthony Heaney of UCLA's Jonsson Cancer Center and colleagues wrote.

snip

U.S. consumption of high fructose corn syrup went up 1,000 percent between 1970 and 1990, researchers reported in 2004 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idAFN0210830520100802

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:19 am

Post Re: Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds
Nice post BB.

High Fructose Corn Syrup to be precise.

I find it in all major packaged food stuffs today on the store shelves, and the names they hide it under does not help.

Why?

It is six times sweeter than sugar (actually an exito-toxin!) and four times cheaper. So PROFIT rules today.

The other one to watch is Aspartame - it damages neural networks! And it is being marketed everywhere!

;)

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:46 am
Profile WWW

I wonder if the link to cancer cells eating up fructose (high fructose corn syrup) has anything to do with the fact that the majority, if not all, of the high fructose corn syrup used today is from GMO corn crops.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm
Profile YIM

Gee ruts - that's a thought I never considered. GMO has impact on all bio mechanisms, but as the corn used for manufacturing all kinds of products including HFCS is GMO I suppose lends to the volume of supply argument. Whether it actually impacts on health linked to HFCS I have never encountered any reports or studies of such.

HFCS on its own is just a convenient by product of corn processing that is an easy sell as the FDA called it food. Like sunflower oil is called food after it has been stripped of all its valuable bits, such as glycerine for soap. As the oil has been heated above 150degC to do this, the oil becomes bad for health as it is closer to a trans fat and replaces cell linings with non-organic compounds which lead to diabetes. Ugh.

I am going to see if I can find any links between GMO and HFCS...

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:06 pm
Profile WWW