It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 pm

San Francisco may order Happy Meals to go -- permanently 
Site Admin

Post San Francisco may order Happy Meals to go -- permanently
No flaming the little flower, 'kay? :mrgreen:

Yes, I realize this is a total infringement of parental rights.

Yes, I realize this is more big gubmint.

However, IMHO, when it is all said and done is really asking too much for fast food restaurants to lower the calories, add more fruit/veggies for children? That is what this is all about - the meals we serve our children.

Personally, I would prefer a bill that adds a healthier selection to the menu rather than an outright ban.

San Francisco, California (CNN) -- Happy Meals could become a thing of the past in San Francisco after a vote by the city's leaders Tuesday.

San Francisco's board of supervisors is expected to formally approve a ban on most of McDonald's Happy Meals in current form during a meeting Tuesday.

snip

Under the proposal, the food and beverage would have to contain fewer than 600 calories, and less than 35 percent of total calories would come from fat.

The meal would also have to contain 0.5 cups of fruit and 0.75 cups of vegetables and offer less than 640 mg of sodium and less than 0.5 mg of trans fat. Breakfast would have the option of offering 0.5 cups of fruit or vegetables.

City officials expect a legal challenge from McDonald's once the ordinance is approved.

Read more here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/09/california.fast.food.ban/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:15 am