It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:01 pm

Risk of Cancer 

Risk of Cancer
Each Time You are Exposed to This Machine, You Boost Your Risk of Cancer
Posted by: Dr. Mercola | April 19 2011

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) claims that backscatter scans are safe. But how do medical professionals personally feel about it?

Many doctors don't opt out of the scans. Dr. Drew Pinsky calls the amount of radiation "inconsequential." However, some researchers question whether the manufacturers' measurements are valid -- the exposure to radiation may actually be 10 times more than what the manufacturers claim.

And Dr. Otis Brawley, chief medical officer of the American Cancer Society, takes a pat-down instead of going through a scanner when he travels. Brawley's deputy, Dr. Len Lichtenfeld, has the same opinion.

According to CNN:

"Lichtenfeld says it doesn't necessarily give him great comfort that the TSA says the scans are safe. 'I can still remember getting my feet radiated as a child when I went to the shoe store and they had a machine which could see how my foot fit in the new shoes,' he says. 'We were told then that they were safe, and they were not.'"

Snip

Do Back-Scatter Scanners Cause Cancer?

As summarized by WeWontFly.com:

"Backscatter X-ray uses ionizing radiation, a known cumulative health hazard, to produce images of passengers' bodies. Children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with defective DNA repair mechanisms are considered to be especially susceptible to the type of DNA damage caused by ionizing radiation.

Also at high risk are those who have had, or currently have, skin cancer.

Ionizing radiation's effects are cumulative, meaning that each time you are exposed you are adding to your risk of developing cancer. Since the dosage of radiation from the backscatter X-ray machines is absorbed almost entirely by the skin and tissue directly under the skin, averaging the dose over the whole body gives an inaccurate picture of the actual harm."

Scientists from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) have echoed these concerns. Because the radiation beam from the scanners concentrates on your skin, researchers believe the dose may be up to 20 times higher than is being estimated.

Skin cancer is one potential outcome of such exposure.

Dr. Jane M. Orient, M.D. has also brought up this concern. In an article for the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS), she details what the medical community considers to be the REAL health hazard of full-body scanners using low-energy backscatter technology.

Dr. Orient explains:

"They use an ingenious low-energy backscatter technique, which is apparently wonderful for identifying explosives in cargo. Since the radiation doesn't penetrate far, it wouldn't affect an unborn baby. But it does concentrate the dose in the skin.

Some scientists warn that this effect has not been properly studied, and one nuclear medicine expert told me that he is going to opt out of the scan. I think this much is clear: if you had a deadly disease, and the scanner were an FDA-regulated device that might save your life, your doctor wouldn't be allowed to use it, because of inadequate study."

Dr. Russell Blaylock has also published his viewpoints on this issue, warning that skin cancer is a very real health risk of these machines.
Snip

Follow the Money—Who Stands to Gain Financially from Full-Body Scanners?

As in so many other instances, our legal and civil rights system is being willfully manipulated and trampled, and our health is put at risk, all for the sake of private and corporate profits.

In this case, the former homeland security chief and co-author of the PATRIOT act, Michael Chertoff, is now the primary promoter of full-body scanners, and is a paid consultant for the companies that sell them! (Only in the land of the Brave and the "Free"!!??!?!) :noway

Snip

As for the humiliation factor that these enhanced TSA security checks present, I would encourage you to contact your local government officials and state representatives, or join the "We Won't Fly" campaign. The campaign site also lists 24 additional ways you can make your voice heard on this issue.

Source

Eeeew!!

:shakehead :flame :rant

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:47 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Risk of Cancer
TSA backscatter radiation safety tests were rigged

(NaturalNews) It can now be revealed by NaturalNews that the TSA faked its safety data on its X-ray airport scanners in order to deceive the public about the safety of such devices.

........ now the TSA division has taken the fabrication of false evidence to a whole new level with its naked body scanners (see below).

Even physics professors question the TSA's obvious cover-up

The evidence of the TSA's fakery is now obvious thanks to the revelations of a letter signed by five professors from the University of California, San Francisco and Arizona State University. You can view the full text of the letter at: http://www.propublica.org/documents...

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032425_airpo ... z1Mi3MvXi2

Long article, but full of information that you aren't going to see in the MSM!

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032425_airpo ... z1Mi3A6ZPv

Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

How in the world do these agancies get away with this crap I don't get it :doh :rant :censor :headbang :fu

Wed May 18, 2011 9:47 am
Profile WWW

It happens when the bottom and middle management have their heads up the arses of the Top management!!!!

:rant

Wed May 18, 2011 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

I'd be EVACUATING the U.S.A. right now!

fallout containing mox fuel will drop on the US.

News report on May 18th, 2011 at 05:08 AM

Nuclear Physicist: Most of the fallout from plutonium-containing MOX fuel will drop on U.S., unless very strong winds take it elsewhere (5764)

Strange: U.S. made “strong request” that radioactive water be dumped in ocean says special adviser to Japan gov’t
May 18th, 2011 at 02:22 PM

Link here

Those EVIL dirty F :censor Psycho Government RATS they are Demented they set this UP only to Come[sic] to the "Rescue" to inflate their tiny little Ego's

Wed May 18, 2011 1:52 pm
Profile YIM

I am quite worried, as my daughter is is California filming the second season of Femme Fatal. She says she hears NO News on the radiation fallout from Japan!!

:headbang

Sun May 22, 2011 9:07 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
I am quite worried, as my daughter is is California filming the second season of Femme Fatal. She says she hears NO News on the radiation fallout from Japan!!

Aw.. No.. What are you going to do?

Sun May 22, 2011 10:35 am
Profile YIM

I s'pose I am gonna keep on hitting my head against this wall!!

She is in LA working and I am in Africa fr33k! Not much I can do...

Sun May 22, 2011 11:57 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
I s'pose I am gonna keep on hitting my head against this wall!!

She is in LA working and I am in Africa fr33k! Not much I can do...

Well you could write her a note and post it to her or Ring her up on the telephone(although that will really cost :headbang ) and tell her to eat Iodized table salt.

Sun May 22, 2011 4:32 pm
Profile YIM

How long is a piece of string?

Of course I have already done all that fr33k. My concern was that she is a professional actress and works in the area being affected by the Japanese tragedy (really the world's tragedy) and it is sad that such events HAVE to affect our lives in a negative way. Events driven by profit potential....

:candle

Mon May 23, 2011 3:24 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

JESUS CHRIST SKY WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!!! Couldn't they shoot the rest down under what movie is it?!? tell her to tell the producers that there is too much radiation in the air! tell her to lie to them and say she feels really weird and sick!

Mon May 23, 2011 3:31 am
Profile YIM