It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:19 pm

Another deadly strain of e. coli 

Post Another deadly strain of e. coli
14 dead in Germany as cucumber crisis grows

BERLIN (AFP) – Germany on Monday held crisis talks amid reports that at least 14 people have died and hundreds are ill in an outbreak of a highly virulent strain of bacteria found on imported cucumbers.

snip

.... officials said they are unsure what caused the sudden outbreak of enterohaemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) which can result in full-blown haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS), a disease that causes bloody diarrhoea and serious liver damage and possible death.

The outbreak has hit countries including Britain, Denmark, Sweden and the Netherlands, but most these cases appear to involve people who had recently travelled to or from Germany.

con. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110530/hl ... 0530185850

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 am
Profile YIM

Post Re: Another deadly strain of e. coli
I am not posting this in the Germany e.coli thread because it is a different strain, and I don't want to give the impression the US cases are related to the strain from Germany.

E. Coli confirmed in SWVA child that died, possible "outbreak" in NETN under investigation

DRYDEN, Va. --

UPDATE: 5:16 pm

Lab results confirm the presence of E. coli in the child that died this weekend and the presence of the bacteria in a close contact of the child, Virginia Department of Health Public Information Officer Robert Parker said.

"The lab results confirm the presence of E. coli 0157:H7," Parker said. "That's a strain of E. coli that causes severe illness."

Northeast Regional Health Office Medical Director Dr. David Kirschke also confirms a similar severe strain in Northeast Tennessee.

"We have one case of the severe type in Tennessee," Dr. Kirschke said. "It may be similar to what the two kids from Virginia had."

con. http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/jun ... r-1088553/

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile YIM

UPDATE: More e. coli cases confirmed in northeast Tenn.

Northeast Regional Health Dept. spokesman Beth Rader says 2 new E.coli cases were confirmed late Monday / early Tuesday.

That brings the 7 county NETN total to 10 (and doesn’t include the 2 cases confirmed in VA).

snip

Rader said there is no common link, but the investigation isn’t finished yet.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/jun ... r-1090051/

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:51 pm
Profile YIM

Hmmm... connectT
snip

A box of suspected beef patties found at the home of an infected child was labeled as containing beef that came from Germany, the supplier's chief executive told Reuters.

But, he added, that container was not enough to determine the origin of the infection with any certainty because many other boxes of suspected product contained beef produced in other locations around Europe.

Con. here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/e-coli-outbrea ... 09356.html

[i]I am reminded of the attack on the food supply here in the US and Canada a couple of years ago, which included spinach, tomatoes, fish (through poisoning with Melamine in farm-raised fish) and one other super-food which I can't remember. :embarressed Now Europe is seeing its food supply under attack, whether deliberately or not I make no claim, although the whole "coincidence" stinks. (I don't believe in coincidences.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:36 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Quote:
A spokesman for Lidl said that beef used in the suspect boxes had been bought from French supplier SEB-CERF, based in the northeastern town of Saint-Dizier, which produces some 400 tonnes per week of frozen beef, according to its website.

"The products were made in France, but depending on the expiry date and our suppliers' opportunities, the beef can come from Germany, Italy, France, the Netherlands or even other places," spokesman Jerome Gresland at Lidl told Reuters

The quote is from the link above in Rutsie's post. Great follow up job, BTW and great analysis.

400 tonnes per week of frozen beef, huh? :shock:

...the beef can come from Germany, Italy, France, the Netherlands or even other places... :censor

IMHO, there doesn't even need to be a conspiracy 'cause we are poisoning ourselves.

I cannot get my mind around a processing plant grinding up beef from so many countries in such quantity.

I don't care how sanitary you try to keep things - there is no way - no way I say - that this process is safe, sanitary, humane, etc., etc., etc.

Jest ain't happenin', in my opinion. :noway

Again and again and again we come back to factory farming and the dangers it poses to us. Sadly, the dangers it poses to our children and grandchildren.

Basta! Enough!!!! :evil

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:10 am

Lol - BB I am well bemused at your statements.

And offcourse - they are so true. How indeed can you keep sanitary conditions when handling those kinda numbers? Not possible.

SO - if you feel like that now, you have a modicum of what I have felt while trying to explain to those who ask me why I do not eat meat, for the past 33 years. Apart from the spiritual connotations, it makes no sense on a level of consideration for life - to me at least. I am posting an article on the light emission from living cells recently discovered on the board elsewhere, and this to me is the ultimate discovery of the amazing grace the creator provided us all with.

And they want to try stuff evolution down my throat? It sure is mirthful!

:noway

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 am
Profile WWW