It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

Psst: asparagus pee. Are you in the club? 
Site Admin

Post Psst: asparagus pee. Are you in the club?
Many of you -- maybe three-quarters of our readers here -- are about to learn a small bathroom secret that the rest of us rarely, if ever, mention.

Sometimes our pee smells funny.

Specifically, after eating asparagus, about one in five people detects a distinct scent in their urine that, depending on the person, carries a pungent bouquet that’s been compared to a vegetable garden, sulfur, cabbage soup -- or simply cooked asparagus.

Some folks don’t speak of it, possibly thinking they are utterly alone in this weird wing of the whiz world. (They are not).

Some folks, like 38-year-old Kathleen Lisson of Troy, N.Y., are bold enough to openly share their asparagus pee play-by-play.

“I smell asparagus in my urine after eating asparagus, especially freshly grilled asparagus,” says Lisson, an event planner. “I had always just assumed it was because my body did not digest the chemical compound that gives asparagus its smell. I always smile and giggle a little bit when I visit the restroom a few hours after eating asparagus. The smell reminds me to not take life so seriously.”

Lisson is correct about chemicals causing the aromatic effect. In 1975, California chemist R.H. White used a lab process called gas chromatography-mass spectrometry to analyze urine supplied by 115 people after asparagus consumption. White learned that when humans digest 100 grams of the vegetable, their urine soon contains 2 milligrams to 5 milligrams of two specific chemical compounds (S-methyl thioacrylate and S-methyl 3-thiopropionate) and these “appear to be the odor-causing compounds.” His findings later were published in Science magazine.

The social consequences of the asparagus aroma can be funny, as Alyssa Phillips, an Atlanta physician's assistant with a degree in nutrition recalls. When she and her husband, Neil, were first dating, she made him fresh asparagus for dinner. After the meal, he headed for the bathroom -- and then emerged asking if Phillips was feeling OK.

"When he peed and smelled the foul odor, he assumed his sweet, new girlfriend might have passed something along," says Phillips.

That “hilarious conversation,” along with Phillips’ passion for nutrition, caused her, she says, to further research the phenomenon. Phillips learned that “all humans appear to produce the smelly compound, but only some humans -- 22 percent -- have the ability to detect the smell.”

snip

Read more here: http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/28/12463697-psst-asparagus-pee-are-you-in-the-club?lite

It appears to be genetic. I can smell it but East Texas cannot.

Can you? :whistle

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:01 am
GT Truther

Post Re: Psst: asparagus pee. Are you in the club?
Smelly pee can be more than just asparagus. I don't seem to make smelly asparagus pee, but once when I was doing some volunteer work for a pro life group that gave free pregnancy tests to anyone that asked for them, a woman's pee smelled funny to me. I had a doctor that gave free exams to us about 3 a month and they were for really needy cases, but I thought that pee was so different smelling, that I should. She was homeless, living in her car with her husband and 3 children. I couldn't put any pressure on her to keep a child under those circumstances no matter my ideals, but I did offer her the free exam. She went and they found cancer of the uterus. She did have the baby and a hysterectomy immediately after giving birth and the whole group pitched in to find housing and jobs and all the things the family needed, just some help. She was so glad she did get the exam and didn't just go to the clinic, what a horror that would have been for all involved. So when you smell funny pee, be wary. Asparagus or no, it could be something serious.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:17 pm