It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 am

Early flu season accelerates; no peak yet, CDC says 
Site Admin

Post Early flu season accelerates; no peak yet, CDC says
The nation’s early flu season continued to grow in the U.S. this week, with no sign yet of a peak in the spread of coughing, achy, feverish illness, health officials said Friday.

"I think we're still accelerating," said Tom Skinner, a CDC spokesman.

Twenty-nine states and New York City reported high levels of flu activity, up from 16 states and NYC the previous week. Flu was widespread in 41 states, up from 31 states, according to the latest figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

As of the week ending Dec. 29, 2,257 people had been hospitalized with flu, and 18 children had died from complications of the illness, CDC reported.

snip

Read more here:http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/04/16329989-early-flu-season-accelerates-no-peak-yet-cdc-says?lite

Locally, we had a 17 year old young man pass away from the flu the day after Christmas. He lasted 4 days from symptom onset. Caught it on a ski trip to Colorado.

Sad, sad, sad...

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am

Post Re: Early flu season accelerates; no peak yet, CDC says
This year's flu is widespread and serious, a strain of the H3N2 I think that came through about 10 years ago. Even up here in the wilds of NW CT, our hospital will not take any new flu cases (as of Friday) since their corridors are full and there are no more beds. Others in the area are in the same boat, on an off-and-on basis. NYC is in bad shape.

Edited to add: the media is taking note of the fact that some young, healthy adults are dying from the flu - cytokine storm.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:19 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Yep, same here, Ruts.

Also be aware that in addition to the flu, we are also seeing an outbreak of Norovirus AND whooping cough. Some folks have all three! :shock:

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:03 pm

If folks practiced reasonable hygiene - ate balanced healthy diets - looked after their immune systems and avoided vaccinations - no one would die from flu!

Note to Self: Keep taking MMS - dis-ease free / cold free / flu free for 24 months now!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yep, Sky. It is amazing to me that I still see folks walk up to carts at the grocery store, put their hands on the handle and walk right in.

BLECH!!!

In the US, most grocery stores have wipes to use on grocery cart handles. You just pull one out - wipe the handle down and go right in. Takes all of 3 seconds.

And don't EVEN get me started on folks who don't wash their hands after using the toilet.

Ladies - rinsing your finger tips after a pee is NOT washing them. :nono :doh

East Texas and I are practicing a bit of social distancing now. It's fairly easy since it is cold and rainy - just staying home in jammies today and watching our beloved Texans on TV. :yamon

We also are washing our hands every time we return home from anywhere - gym, grocery store, whatever.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:30 am
GT Truther

I ALWAYS wash hands (and Backside if at home) after going to the toilet thats Disgusting they just rinse them off Eww.. Gastritis

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:53 pm
Profile YIM