It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 am

GM Foods and Allergies 

Post GM Foods and Allergies
Genetically Modified Foods Unsafe?

Genetically modified (GM) foods are inherently unsafe, and current safety assessments are not competent to protect us from or even identify most dangers. Overwhelming evidence to support this conclusion is now compiled in the book Genetic Roulette: The documented health risks of genetically engineered foods, which presents an abundance of adverse findings and theoretical risks associated with GM foods.1

The book documents lab animals with damage to virtually every system studied; thousands of sick, sterile, or dead livestock; and people around the world who have traced toxic or allergic reactions to eating GM products, breathing GM pollen, or touching GM crops at harvest. It also exposes many incorrect assumptions that were used to support GM approvals. This article, excerpted from my book, summarizes some of the findings related to allergic and immune responses.

GM Soy and Allergies

Soy allergies jumped 50% in the U.K. just after GM soy was introduced.2 If GM soy was the cause, it may be due to several things. The GM protein that makes Roundup Ready Soy resistant to the herbicide does not have a history of safe use in humans and may be an allergen. In fact, sections of its amino acid sequence are identical to known allergens.3

A portion of the transgene from ingested GM soybeans, along with the promoter that switches it on, transfers into human gut bacteria during ingestion.4 The fact that the transformed bacteria survives applications of Roundup’s active ingredient, glyphosate, suggests that the transgene continues to produce the Roundup Ready protein. If true, then long after people stop eating GM soy they may be constantly exposed to its potentially allergenic protein, which is being created within their gut. (This protein may be made more allergenic due to misfolding, attached molecular chains, or rearrangement of unstable transgenes, but there is insufficient data to support or rule out these possibilities.1)

Studies suggest that the GM transformation process may have increased natural allergens in soybeans. The level of one known allergen, trypsin inhibitor, was 27% higher in raw GM soy varieties. More worrisome, it was as much as sevenfold higher in cooked GM soy compared to cooked non-GM soy.5 Not only is this higher amount potentially harmful, the finding also suggests that the trypsin inhibitor in GM soy might be more heat stable and, therefore, even more allergenic than the natural variety.

Snip

Rest Here: http://www.globalresearch.ca/geneticall ... es-mounts/

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: GM Foods and Allergies
An article recapping the dangers of GM foods, and how to avoid buying them.

Avoid eating dangerous, genetically engineered foods at your dining table

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/044147_GMO_l ... z2uw7vJiMb

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:14 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Thanks, Ruts. That article is great.

Whoo hooo! I never buy sugar made from sugar beets. I only buy Imperial Pure Cane Sugar because I had a great uncle who worked for them when the plant was in Sugarland, Tx. (Guess where the company got its name?)

Many Texas cooks will only buy Imperial because it used to be made in Texas. Sadly, that is not so anymore since the company was sold. If you can find it - I highly recommend it. ;)

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:58 pm

That's such a scourge these days - China is buying everything.

We try an always get Unrefined sugar.

The less it is chemically treated and processed - the easier it is for the body to recognise and pass through ones system.

Another issue for us is to avoid Inorganic chemicals and minerals. Again the body battles to identify the "man made" compounds and it labours the body. Just think of all those tables that folks pop?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yep, Sky. One of the things I'm encouraged about on Pinterest is the interest in whole foods or slow cooking or paleo diets. Lots of people post very interesting recipes and tips that have to do with no processed foods.

I love that.

We are back in the saddle with our whole foods again. I quit smoking last August and we kinda got off track for a bit. :embarressed

Gained the typical 14 pounds and am slowly but surely working that weight off.

During my initial no smoking days we ate a LOT of "no no" foods like pizza, hamburgers, etc., etc. typical American fatty diet. Felt like a slug! Blech. I guess it was just the comforting I needed since I no longer had my binkie. :crylaugh

Thankfully that madness is over and we are back to our regular diet again. We've done Meatless Monday for a number of years now and are increasing our meatless meals during the week. Kids and grandkids think we are :crazy but it makes us feel so much better. :yamon

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:05 pm