It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

The 72 Hour Kit 
Site Admin

Post The 72 Hour Kit
From past experience it usually takes about 72 hours after a disaster for help organizations to reach the area, set up, and get organized to handle the needs of the emergency. Therefore it is important that we have on hand, and at quick access, a kit that will help us survive those first few hours and days. This is usually called a 3 Day or 72 Hour Emergency Kit.

Remember a 72 Hour kit is for the purpose of surviving. It cannot have all the luxuries that we would sometimes like, but it needs to have the items necessary. Therefore an easy carrying backpack is ideal. It will not allow you to pack more than you can carry, but if you plan well, there is enough room to hold the necessary items to survive.

Each person needs to have his or her own kit. It is possible that family members could get separated, and each member needs to have some supplies with them personally. If walking, a child would not be able to carry very much for a very long period of time, but does need to have some items that would help them survive.

In making your emergency preparations, there are ten areas that need to be considered. Be careful that you don’t plan heavily in some areas and ignore other areas. All are necessary for survival.

FOOD

There are many alternative choices when we consider food. A variety of food preparations are important. It is important that food can be kept for long periods of time without refrigeration. Choose foods that need minimal cooking. Some good choices are bouillon cubes, powdered drinks (hot chocolate, cider), dried fruits and nuts, jerky, and candy to suck on. These kinds of foods give energy, nutrition, and help to boost the morale.

WATER

Water can be stored in the home in various sizes of containers, but small 1 or 2 liter sized containers for carrying are very important. 2 liter pop bottles are ideal. Collapsible containers are handy for storing in a pack since they can be folded when empty. Large clear plastic bags are very useful in collecting water from dew or rain. Water can also be boiled, distilled, or purified with purification tablets or a water purification kit. All of these methods should be included in your kit.

SHELTER & WARMTH

There are many products available in this area. A tube tent is small enough to fit into a pack and very versatile. It is basically a ground cloth with tie ropes that can be easily made into a shelter, used as a ground cloth, or a cover to keep a pack dry. Emergency "space" sleeping bags and blankets and emergency ponchos are also very good to keep body heat in and wet weather out. These are lightweight and take up little space in a kit.

COOKING

With a bag of charcoal and a Dutch oven, you can have warmth and cook just about anything. However they are bulky and charcoal must be used outside where there is good ventilation. There are several sizes of sterno or instant heat that is available. A rack to sit over a can of sterno takes up very little space and can heat water, soup, and cook simple meals. Waterproof matches, fire starters, disposable lighters, and compressed fuel tablets are only a few items that can be very helpful.

LIGHT
There are many kinds and sizes of oil lamps that are available to have in our homes for when we lose electricity. These are the easiest maintenance and probably the safest. In a pack a flashlight (store the batteries out of the flashlight to last longer) is an essential item. There are also special flashlights that need no batteries or flashlight radios that can run off multiple sources for power including solar and hand cranking.

COMMUNICATION
This is often one area that we forget to include in our planning. There are a few simple items that can be very helpful. A whistle can be blown with less energy and heard farther than your voice. Also a mirror is excellent for signaling for help. A radio with multiple source possibilities for power is very important also, to know what is happening, where authorities are asking people to go or what to do.

HYGIENE & SANITATION

There is nothing better that a few simple hygiene items such as a comb, tooth brush, razor, or shampoo to boost morale. Small versions of these items can fit into a pack easily. Some kind of “porta potty” is a must.

FIRST AID

Of course a First Aid Kit is a must for any emergency situation. Basic items and a simple first aid instruction sheet needs to be included in every kit.

CLOTHING & PERSONAL ITEMS

A change of clothing, especially extra socks, underwear, and a jacket need to be added to your kit. A hat, gloves, and hiking shoes would also be very helpful. Other personal items such as feminine items, baby diapers, medications, extra glasses or sunglasses, "comfort toys", book, writing material, and card games are needed and very helpful.

IMPORTANT PAPERS & MONEY

It is very important to have a packet of copies of all your important papers such as: insurance and other legal papers, wills, birth certificates, marriage certificate, bank account numbers, family photos and other documents. If someone has become separated it is very helpful to be able to give the authorities a recent picture of who you are looking for. Be sure to include some money in your kit, both small change and larger amounts.
There are many other items that could be added to an emergency kit.

All of the above needs have been carefully considered in organizing items to be included in our complete 72 Hour kit. We have tried to include items of most importance and are necessary to help you survive in an emergency. Our four units of 3-Day Food, Basic, Personal, and First Aid, along with a one Gallon Water pouch, packed in a back pack is designed for you to survive with for three days. Remember some items need to be rotated. It might be a good practice once a year when you change your clocks to daylight savings time, and change the batteries in your smoke alarm, to also rotate and update any items in your 72 Hour kit that need to be changed. That way it will always be updated and ready for an emergency.

Published At: Isnare Free Articles Directory http://www.isnare.com
Permanent Link: http://www.isnare.com/?aid=136379&ca=Family+Concerns

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: The 72 Hour Kit
The suggestions above are great so I thought I would add to it.

How many of you have (or have thought about) a 72 hour survival kit for your work/office?

Yeah? Me neither! Yes, I have some food stashed in my overhead bins but I really don't have any type of survival kit in my office - sooooo - my New Year's resolution is to get cracking on this.

Pack in a portable, weather-resistant container (backpacks work well). Every employee should have a kit that includes at least one each of the items identified with an asterisk.

Brought From Home/Supplied by Office:

Aluminum foil
Antacid tablets
Aspirin & non-aspirin pain relievers *
Cash, spare change *
Change of clothing *
Chlorine bleach
Comfort items – Books, cards, hard candy *
Contact lens supplies or glasses, if needed *
Disinfectant
Food (see below for examples) *
Maps - city and county
Matches in weatherproof container *
Mess kit-Disposable plates/utensils
Needles and thread
Paper and pencils/pens *
Paper towels
Personal hygiene items *
Plastic garbage bags *
Prescription drugs *
Rain gear
Signal flares
Soap
Sturdy shoes or boots *
Toilet paper *
Towels *

Food and Water Supply Examples per Person

Apple Juice: 2 – 7.5 oz. cans (flip top)
Granola Bars: 2 bars
Mixed Fruit: 2 – 4.5 oz. cans
Pork and Beans: 2 – 8 oz. cans
Peanut Butter: One small jar
Smoked or dried meats (beef-jerky)
Tuna: 2 – 3.25 oz. cans
Unsalted crackers: 4 oz.
Bottled spring water: 3 gallons

Purchase Order/Donations

TOOLS: :hmm - What the heck do I need these for? Yeah - the little flower ain't the most mechanically minded flower in the pot. East Texas gets NERVOUS when she begins to wield a hammer or screw driver - imagine BOLT CUTTERS? :roflmao

Adjustable wrench, 10in
Bolt cutters
Camp hatchet
Chisel
Claw hammer
Crow bar, 18"
Folding shovel
Hacksaw & blades
Nylon tool bag
Pliers
Screwdriver set
Short handle sledge hammer

SUPPLIES:

Battery operated radio *
Can opener (non-electric)
Candles
Compass
Duct tape
Dust masks * Hmmmm - wonder if my R95 masks would do in a pinch? :hmm
Emergency solar blankets *
Extra batteries
First aid kit (complete)
Flashlights *
Leather palmed work gloves
Lightsticks * Oooh - I LIKE this one!
Plastic Sheeting
Rope, 100 ft x ½ in
Safety glasses or goggles *
Signal Flares
Tarp
Utility/camp knife
Whistles *
Wool blankets
* Every employee should have a kit that includes at least one each of these items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Administration Kit
Pack in a portable, weather-resistant container (backpacks work well):

Personnel roster/phone numbers
Disaster response manual and facility map
First aid kit and manual
Battery operated radio
Master keys on neck lanyard
2-way radios/extra batteries
8 D cell and 16 AA batteries
4 whistles
4 flashlights
4 pairs of leather palmed gloves
4 pairs of safety glasses or goggles
4 emergency (solar) blankets
4 light sticks (8-12 hr.)
8 dust masks
2 rolls of 2" masking tape
1 roll of duct tape
1 box of 30 gallon garbage bags
2 rolls of toilet paper
1 roll of paper towels
1 small box of plastic cutlery
Food and water supply *

* Food and Water Supply Examples One Person

Apple Juice: 2 – 7.5 oz. cans (flip top)
Granola Bars: 2 bars
Mixed Fruit: 2 – 4.5 oz. cans
Pork and Beans: 2 – 8 oz. cans
Peanut Butter: One small jar
Smoked or dried meats (beef jerky)
Tuna: 2 – 3.25 oz. cans
Unsalted crackers: 4 oz.
Drinking water

http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/dem/prepare/office72hourkit.jsp

Last edited by Bluebonnet on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edited to add link

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:58 pm
Site Admin

Here is a cool printable list that I found, substitute for your needs & or desires

http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/fsme/doc ... tslist.pdf

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

A milk jug 72 hour kit

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Well it's that time of year again when I go over my 72 hr BOB's and boy did I screw up last year when packing these buggers, wow!

I totally revamped my bags, made them a bit lighter and was actually able to add more things.

I sure hope that if we do have to Bug Out that I am able to take my truck because these packs are heavy let me tell ya :doh

That being said I do have a plan if I have to head out on foot for both Winter & Summer months.

If it's the summertime I have a pull behind wagon that I can throw the bags into and if it's the winter I have a very light tow behind plastic tobagon.

So as I unpacked my bags and re-thought what I actually wanted in them and as I said I was able to re-pack them lighter and with more things in them!

I am an OVER PACKER, I propbobly have things in them that we will NEVER use but I figure its better to have than to NOT have..

For those interested here is basically what I have packed to eat and a meal plan for 4 for approximatly 3 days or there abouts...

http://www.thegoldenthread.info/72_hour_bob_menu.xlsx

Here is one meal that I have packed in my BOG

Another meal

Here is the majority of our meals, I also have a couple MRE's as well which you can see one of them to the far right

I was able to find a supplier of this really cool insta flame stuff that will light in ANY conditions, don't get me wrong I can start a campfire anywhere, because knowing my luck when we have to bug out it will be pouring rain.

So I packaged some of this up as a back up

As most of you know I have two girls that will be bugging out with me so I think of them moreso than I cause us guys can pretty much go anywhere anytime, or so the wife always tells me anyways :roflmao

Here is my plan for them, in my back pack I have a compact shovel, I plan to dig a hole, place the Red Pail below over it with the Portable Toilet Seat and voila, instant toilet for the girls :heart

The white pail is packed with extra tools & gear, as I said I like to be prepared.

I have a ton of misc. tools, compact shovel, folding blade chain saw, knives, multi tools, compass, whistles, first aid kit, rope, crank flashlights, crank radio, spare batteries, games for us to play as well as a small selection of clothing.

Here is a photo of MY BOB, in the back ground you can see one of my two Bug Out Pails that has extra gear in it, it is an empty cat litter pail with a reusable lid, these things make great bug out pails!

Each of our packs have one of these inside to purify water and I also have tablets as well

http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw

And I just purchased three of these as well, you can never have too much water!

You can buy them on Ebay here

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pure-Mini-Soldie ... 256a3a7597

I plan on adding a tent, with extra traps and sleeping bags to round off our kits.

This summer I plan on joining a gun club and getting my gun permit, both long gun and pistol, then I will add a 22 Rifle and Pistol to my pack as well, for now let's just say I have myself covered for protection but they will have to get close for me to inflict any damge.

Until I get my permits I plan on purchasing a cross bow ;)

I am curious what does eveyone else have in their kits..

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Just received my pocket soilder filters today, into the kits they go.. :brockoli :banana

Still have not heard what everyone else has in their kits, does that mean yuo dont have a bug out bag :nono

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Nope - East Texas and I do not have one.

Where I live (suburbia) trying to leave is gonna be a nightmare - think Hurricane Rita.

We sometimes discuss this but, in the end, we pretty much are committed to staying.

In the event of a hurricane coming in just West of us, we will leave - don't get me wrong - I have NO intention of being on the "dirty" side.

Other than that - I'm stayin' put!

I can go to my brother's place out in BFE but it is nearly a 2 hour drive from us and I just don't think that will be feasible.

Sorry to be such a negative Nelly just trying to give you some of our thought processes. :dunno

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:11 pm

I dunno there Blue - is it a major effort to have at least ONE rucksack packed with a grab and go plan - coz if in the likelihood of not planning, one is going to have to need something like that. Better to have stuff on the side, which could always be used as a camp out in the back garden one day for fun if it gets close to expiry dates etc.

L2L - as we live in the sticks, we have planned stash away stocks on the farm for when the system cracks and we can't go to a shop for supplies. The likelihood of us having to run and hide is possible, but there I am planning a secret hideaway on the farm with a built-in stash.

Now! You have certainly alerted me to get the hell on with my plan and also to review my current stocks in that situation. We have a secret store we are about to finish as a build-on to the farm house where all our safety plan stocks are to be stored in a hidden type lock-up room. When we get to transfer a safety stock to the new "safe" room - I shall also do a review with some picks maybe as to what we did.

:clap

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Looking forward to it Sky thanks

And Blue I agree with Sky, what if your neibhourhood developed a gas leak and you were ordered to evacuate immediatly??

If you had your bug out bags packed all you would have to do is grab and go, the other way you may be foreging with the masses and that is not something I would want to do.

Food for thought

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

L2L wrote:
Looking forward to it Sky thanks

And Blue I agree with Sky, what if your neibhourhood developed a gas leak and you were ordered to evacuate immediatly??

If you had your bug out bags packed all you would have to do is grab and go, the other way you may be foreging with the masses and that is not something I would want to do.

Food for thought

:hmm

Now you've got me thinking!

Actually, this is a very relevant topic for me right now. There is much discussion on NOAA and Storm2K (the forums I read for hurricanes) about "something" developing in the Gulf late next week. So far, it is just computer modeling so we will see.

We bought water yesterday and are going over hurricane supplies this weekend.

Maybe I need to consider purchasing a duffle bag and putting some stuff in there.

I have MRE's and the container of food I bought at Costco. So that should be easy enough.

BTW I saw the same vegan container of food at Walmart yesterday. Made my spidey sense tingle...

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:03 am
Site Admin

I am bumping this topic for Blue in the hopes that she will finally put together a couple of 72 Hour Kits for her & East Texas..

Hers's a great place to get started

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/files/3_Da ... _Preps.pdf

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 pm
Profile WWW