It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 am

Waning H1N1 pandemic may let in new viruses 

Post Waning H1N1 pandemic may let in new viruses
Waning H1N1 pandemic may let in new viruses

Governments should not ease up on swine flu vaccine programs, experts say

updated 10:53 a.m. ET, Fri., Jan. 8, 2010
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34765068/ns ... d_and_flu/?

LONDON - The declining wave of pandemic H1N1 flu is likely to be followed by new, unknown strains of seasonal flu which health authorities must watch carefully to devise protection measures, European flu experts said on Friday.

The European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) warned that flu viruses "never stand still" and said governments should not relax H1N1 flu vaccination programs, but remain on guard for possible changes in the virus and new strains.

"The historical pattern of human influenzas is that after pandemics, the world experiences a new mix of viruses," the ECDC's flu expert Angus Nicoll wrote in the Eurosurveillance scientific journal.

In a telephone interview, Nicoll said although signs from many parts of Europe and the United States suggest circulation of H1N1 is declining, it is still too early to say the pandemic is over.

He noted that the virus responsible for the last pandemic in 1968-70 became more easily transmitted between its first and second winter, so that there were more cases and deaths in the second winter (1969-70) in at least two European countries.

An earlier pandemic in 1957-58 also declined before Christmas 1957, but then came back to cause a rise in flu-related deaths in the new year of 1958.

In the current pandemic, new infections of H1N1 flu have fallen sharply in recent weeks and some governments have been left with an oversupply of vaccines ordered to protect their populations against the virus that emerged last March.

Uptake of the vaccine has been limited in some countries and advice from medical experts that one dose is enough to protect against the virus, rather than the two originally anticipated, means some governments have more than they need.

Latest data from the ECDC, which monitors disease in the European Union, show that H1N1 — also known as swine flu — has killed more than 11,600 people around the world, more than 2,000 of them in Europe.

‘Expect the unexpected’

Nicoll said pandemic H1N1 flu had not completely halted other flu viruses in recent months, but had been the predominant strain, meaning that its decline could open the way for a new mix of viruses known as inter-pandemic or seasonal flus.

He said governments should continue to urge people to get vaccinated against H1N1, since the shots were "the most potent countermeasure" for any human flu.

"The rule with influenza, pandemic and inter-pandemic, is to maintain vigilance and expect the unexpected," he said.

Nicoll also said some H1N1 vaccines, which governments ordered from drugmakers like GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, Sanofi-Aventis, Novartis and Baxter, among others, may prove useful in warding off any new strains of seasonal flu that emerge in the wake of the pandemic.

"Countries should see through what they planned to do," he said. "And one of the good things about some of the vaccines that European countries are using is that they have adjuvants (or boosters), which it makes it much more likely that they can cope with a virus that changes."

Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Truth Seeker

Post Re: Waning H1N1 pandemic may let in new viruses
Why are you spamming H1N1 so much?

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:48 am
Site Admin

Quote:
Why are you spamming H1N1 so much?

First, I don't think posting news items of interest is spamming.

Second, some of us here are very interested in the subject.

Third, if you don't believe in it - why should you care?

Someone sounds pretty cranky this morning! :nono

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:56 am
Truth Seeker

Why should I be cranky for being right?

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:15 am
Truth Seeker

If you want to know the truth sweetheart since your such a big girl. The days of the air transmissions are gone. It doesnt work, the atmosphere dilutes it too much, its just the way nature works. They, you, them, whoever, the scare doesnt work anymore. SARS, Bird Flu, H1N1, etc etc. Even back with SIDS, it was a virus and whats going on. All it was dont lay your baby on its chest in its crib. Its been tried over and over again only to fail. Only your willingness to get a vaccination to whatever "disease" is ongoing is your contribution to the eventual one. It wont be airborne it will be DNA and what you eat borne. While you scan your google to search for the story or blog that backs up your thinking as why you need need a vaccination or medication, an ongoing program is underway to tap your DNA. To determine what people eat what foods. The current and coming war isnt about oil, its about fresh water. Do your study about Yemen but I said I wont teach here.

Monsanto, Nestle, all in play. You want to play around with the Ukraine and H1N1 go ahead. But you just be playing catch up when your 30 points behind. If you got a H1N1 vaccine then you just contributed to the plan. Cranky? Or Realistic? Your choice.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:39 am
Site Admin

Squareyard - I am not going to play games with you.

You are entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to theirs - it doesn't make either one right or wrong - it just makes them different.

If you want to expound on your opinions you are encouraged to open a thread of your own and expound on them.

Snarky comments left in someone else's thread does come across as cranky whether you intended it or not.

And BTW - don't ever call me sweetheart or girl again.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:51 am
Truth Seeker

No problem, sorry it offended you just thought that is how people talk in Texas. Wont happen again.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 pm
Site Admin

No offense taken - apology accepted.

BB

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:30 pm
Truth Seeker

Then why did you snap back at me so fast if you wasnt offended? And I didnt apologize. But thanks anyway.

But that is less than the matter. Got to discount the messenger. No problems here honey. Sorry

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Entire article can be read here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1362
Three Approved GMO Crops Linked to Organ Damage, New Study Shows

excerpts:

Quote:
A new study pinpoints three variations of GM corn (maize) as being linked to organ damage in mammals.

Quote:
Gilles-Eric Seralini, a molecular biologist at the University of Caen and one of the principals in the study, says that the data "clearly underlines adverse impacts on kidneys and liver, the dietary detoxifying organs, as well as different levels of damages to heart, adrenal glands, spleen and haematopoietic system."

Each of the three strains produced differing amounts of adverse impact, but the impact on vital organs was universal for all three GM crops.

http://www.naturalnews.com/027931_GMO_c ... amage.html

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 am
Profile YIM

First of all squareyard, I am not spamming. Second I don't believe that you have much proof to offer in your opinion. Until then I will not risk my children's nor my GC's lives, by not knowing what is happening out there.
The medical community is still advising all of us to get vaccinated. I have found through personal experience that community is normally pretty conservative. So if taking a shot could save lives then so be it.
Whether or not we see a third wave of this is still up in the air. If there is a third wave there is no guarantee that it will be as harmless to most as this one was.

However if one asks a relative of someone who was perfectly healthy and died from H1N1, you'd find they have a different opinion on this harmless virus. Others who have survived for months on vents, have months maybe even years of rehab to get back to normal, if they ever do, also have a different view than yours.

So until I am sure that H1N1 is finally become harmless, I will post on it. After all, you don't have to read the articles, just change the channel!!

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:30 pm
Profile WWW