It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 am

What to Prep if you have 24 Hours 
Site Admin

Post What to Prep if you have 24 Hours
ricewiki, Kate et al - from the Forums

If You Only Have 24 Hours To Prepare for H5N1 Quarantine (please copy and circulate)

Note to Fluwikians: Remember, this “If You Only Have 24 Hours” list is different from a “How Do I Start To Prep” list. Both are directed at people who haven’t started prepping yet, but the former is for dire straits once the pandemic becomes “official” or there is an otherwise obvious escalated emergency pandemic situation.

The latter is simply for the calm before the storm, like right now, while we all still have (forseeable) time to prep.

This list is for individuals who have failed to stockpile goods and supplies for the event of an avian flu pandemic. It assumes that there has been some official or obvious sign given that a state of pandemic has been reached and that the best hope for protection will be self-quarantine. It has been said that a virus at this stage will be able to pass to any point on the globe within 18 hours. YOU NEED TO STOCK UP NOW.

NB: If you are buying last-minute food, water and supplies when a human-to-human pandemic has been announced as spreading, please sit down for 5 minutes and make a plan of action. It is not a good idea to grab everything you can - BE STRATEGIC. You will not be able to get everything you need for a 3-month quarantine in one shopping trip! This list is based upon what you should attempt to accomplish in the ultimately unfortunate of “last-minute” trips – when everyone else will be “panic shopping” beside you. Focus your energy on grabbing foods that provide the most nutrition.

Tips/Suggestions:
Pull the children out of school immediately and start the family plan into action.

Cell phones may come in handy - communication would be handy as you pick everything up around the stores and around town.

If you own multiple cars, have a family member drive each car (single-file, caravan style) to the same store.

Each of you take a cart and a portion of this list. Meet back at the checkout and load all of the cars.

NB: If the store has run out of an item you need, MOVE ON. IT WILL NOT BE THE END OF THE WORLD.

Do not waste time in this situation. Go to another store until you get it.

NB2: You will need cash! Some stores may no longer accept credit or debit in this situation.
In others, the lines may be down. Don’t risk your survival because you do not have adequate cash on hand.
And be prepared to spend considerably more than you would at any other grocery store run.

In Loose Order Of Importance:
From home: call to renew your prescriptions for pick-up. Call doctor to arrange for more.

Extract 60–75% cash from your bank account (save some for online bill payments; you may also
need to make arrangements re: investments, but this may need to be done later at this point.
Right now you need to get supplies.) or the full amount your daily limit will allow.

From the local drugstore/healthcentre/pharmacy:
N95 masks (NIOSH-rated Medical Particulate Masks) and Disposable gloves
(latex, vinyl or the best yet is Nitrile): (you will need these in the event
you leave the house again to pick up a forgotten or needed item)
bandaids
your prescription refills
vitamins: C and multivitamins
tylenol/acetominaphen, aspirin/ ibuprofen (many uses); 3 bottles each
any other over-the-counter meds you know you need (customize here)
8 packages of 12-rolls toilet paper
5 boxes kleenex
batteries: know the kind you will need. AA’s – buy at least 10 packages.
candles and/or tealights – buy whatever is left; at least 50
matches and lighters: buy 2 boxes matches; 10 lighters
tampons if needed: year’s worth if you can: 20 boxes of 40’s; OR, 1 “keeper”
soap
shampoo and conditioner
toothpaste

From the local grocery store:
as many bags rice you can afford (remember, you need to be able to buy some of everything on this list)
20 cans beans (90 would be needed for 3 mos)
20 cans tuna/chicken/fish
10 cans vegetables
30–60 jugs water (and you are going to need to come back for more!)
20 bags pasta
10 jars pasta sauce
2 big bags potatoes (high in energy; keep long time)
20 cans tomato paste (make your own pasta sauce)
energy bars; protein drinks;
bag/boxes of mixed nuts
bags of dried oatmeal
bags dried beans
5 large bottles vegetable oil (sunflower, safflower and olive are healthiest)
box sugar (biggest you can find)
box salt (biggest you can find)
bottles Gatorade (orally rehydrates) or vitaminized water
pet food and/or baby supplies if needed
extra manual can-opener (yours might break!)
extra scissors (might lose yours!)
5 jars peanut butter
3 loaves bread
10 bars/tubs butter
10 bricks cheese
frozen meat
soups that don’t need added water
garbage bags

Go to local hardware/supplies store and buy:
propane cooking stove
propane
flashlights (3)
firestarters
water purification tablets
battery-operated radio

On way home: stock up on tank of gas, extra gas. Fill any portable gas
containers you may have or can buy at the gas station.

Less Essential Items to pick up if you have Time, Money and they are Available:
chocolate
coffee, teas
3 jars jam
boxes macaroni and cheese
bag onions
boxes powdered milk
box crackers, bag cookies
peppers/lettuce/tomatoes
other fresh fruit and veggies
other vitamins if you know you need them: Omega-3, antioxidants, meds for diarrhea
key spices you use: garlic, mixed spice shakers, bouillon, cinnamon, turmeric, curry, ginger
q-tips, rubbing alcohol, a ready-made first-aid kit
shaving cream and razors
Paper plates, plastic forks, knives, spoons
paper towels
laundry soap

Really Less Essential (for urban survival) Items To Wait For Another Trip To Pick Up and then Only If You Really Need Them:
candy, alcohol, tobacco (could be used for trade; but you should quit smoking at this point)
tools; rope; tape;
cleaning supplies (bleach; disinfectant hand sanitizer with more than 60% alcohol; liquid dish detergent; big jug white vinegar)
Condiments - mayo, ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Salsa, creamers (presumably you will already have some of these anyway)
Lotion and all other more luxurious personal care items
entertainment items like books (you will already have some of these anyway)

For All Other Essential Survival Items You Will Need A Second Trip (at your own risk)

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Post Re: What to Prep if you have 24 Hours
What are the basics that you will need for bugging out?
(1)
Quote:
It assumes that you are already wearing street clothes when you have to flee into the wild.

Sleeping bag. Should be of the sub zero type.

Small tent or bivvy bag.

Billy can. This is used for cooking, boiling water, storing water, and collecting water. It should have a few metres of cord attached so that it can be lowered into streams or down wells.

Matches or cigarette lighter.

Hat

Sun glasses

Some food

If you are in dry country you will need transpiration bags, minimum of four..

Warm clothing ie., a trench coat, long underwear, waterproof jacket etc.

This list is as basic as it gets but these items will keep you alive if nothing too drastic occurs.

Some extras that you might be able to do without, but greatly add to your comfort and survival chances are:

An extra ground sheet. Can be used as a raincoat, as a collector of rain water and many other things.

Water storage containers. Minimum of 20 litres.

Soap

Toilet paper

Pistol and ammunition.

knife

A first aid kit, which should contain a pressure bandage, a pair of tweezers, a scalpel and some Band-Aids.

You will also need something to carry all this stuff in.

There are many other items that are desirable to have but are not absolutely essential eg., a compass, maps, water filter, full first aid kit, etc.

The most essential survival needs are food, water and warmth. The first list covers all of these. The additional lists cover those times when things go wrong or luxuries like soap and toilet paper.

Self defence - this is as basic as food and shelter and you must be prepared. I talk from experience. I wouldn’t be here today unless I had had a little friend in my coat pocket during a solo wilderness expedition two decades ago. Two legged vermin are real and they are out there. Do you want to know what happiness feels like? Holding something in your hand that makes a loud and terrifying bang and to see a couple of two legged vermin run away, or turn apologetic and plead for their lives, is the nearest thing to happiness I know. And it will be particularly satisfying in years to come to know that you purchased your life one day by having the foresight to be armed.

Don’t put it off any more. Arm yourself! There is nothing humane or trendy about being murdered in the wilderness. Don’t get hung up on calibres or styles. Any type of gun will do. Even if you never use it you will have peace of mind.

(1)
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 968964/pg1

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Great post, recall! Thanks! :clap

Living in a warm climate, however, I would take exception to these two items:

Quote:
Sleeping bag. Should be of the sub zero type.

Where I live ya need mosquito netting and ya need it badly. It is lightweight and easy to carry. No dengue, yellow fever, malaria for me. :nono

Instead of a sleeping bag - I would use a tarp lean to for shade and then cover it with mosquito netting at night. A lightweight sleeping bag might work but better still would be a simple sheet spread out on the tarp.

Quote:
Warm clothing ie., a trench coat, long underwear, waterproof jacket etc.

Where I live ya need light colored clothing - long sleeves and long pants (to tuck into boots to keep the bugs out). Not blue jeans but khaki-type pants. Jeans are toooo hot in hot weather and will quickly chafe your thighs.

Shorts? Maybe but you best be prepared with bug spray and sunscreen and no tank tops - you will be eaten alive and burned up in days. :roll

Bug spray, bug spray, bug spray.

Hat

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen

Lip balm

Rain poncho

Take away?

There isn't a generic, one size fits all list. Build your list on where you live and make some adaptations. :heart

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:45 am
GT Truther

Last Minute Items (1)

Quote:
1. Prepare a last minute shopping list. These are the items that you wish to buy at the last possible moment before TSHTF. They are perishable items and they will be nonessential items. The list may include perishable food items, batteries, extra cigarette lighters etc. Remember however that there may not be a chance to buy anything at the last moment - this is why the list should contain only non-essentials.

2. Laxatives are an essential item for long term survival. This might not fit in with the tough image of the survivalist, but the facts are plain. With a sudden change of diet, constipation will be a constant problem and can lead to complications such as anal fissures and other nasties which are just waiting to strike the unprepared. Constipation will be the most common medical problem in otherwise healthy survivalists. A reasonable stock of laxatives is one of the most important items to store away. Extra laxatives should also be included in your last minute shopping list.

Read this paragraph again and again if you have to. Don’t ignore it.

(1)

3. Salt is an essential item. It is used in cooking, preserving as well as having many uses in first aid and medicine. You should have a lot of salt.
(1)
Quote:
4. Files are essential items. You should have at least a small set. Theoretically you can make anything out of metal with just a couple of files. This will enable you to work metal, even if you have no other tools.

5. When buying food storage containers, always choose those with the screw top lids. Squeeze them and see if any air comes rushing out. If so, don’t buy them. I’ve found that the best food storage containers are the plastic ones that hold a kilo or more of fruit that are to be found in supermarkets. These are airtight and don’t leak, and you get the bonus of a kilo or more of fruit pieces.

6. In reject shops you will find hanging shelves that sell for about $5 each. These are ideal for sun drying food. They will hold several kilos of meat, fish, or vegetables.

7. How is your supply of zip-top plastic bags. These are an important item for storing your sun dried food. You should have at least a hundred large sized bags.

8. Bunnings sell hessian bags for $1.50 each. You might like to buy a few of these. They can be used for camouflage. They can be used as-is or dyed different colours. Very good for wrapping around rifles and other objects where you need to break up the colour and outline. Strips of this material can also be dyed to make ghillie suits etc. Dye a few of them in a bucket. They are handy things to have.

9. Another good cammo item is bird netting which Bunnings sell for $2.50 per 4x4 metres square. With this you can attach strips of cloth to make cammo and it has lots of other uses such as fishing nets, ghillie suits, sun drying food etc etc. It’s a good idea to have several pieces of this stuff.

10. A very handy item you can have is an LED key chain light. When it comes to these it appears that cheaper is better. The cheap ones have only a small recessed button that can’t be accidentally compressed in your pocket and drained of power. They sell for $2 in reject shops and can get you out of a lot of trouble. They can even be used for walking trails at night. They are so handy because you always have your keys with you. The cheaper kind also take the cheaper batteries which you can buy on bulk cards. Get a couple of them. In many circumstances the LED key chain light can be the most essential item of survival you have.

11. How do you intend to run all your battery powered gadgets such as radios, flashlights etc ATSHTF?? The easiest solution is to buy rechargeable AA batteries and a solar charger on sale at d*ck Smiths for $22. These will charge other sized batteries as well but it s a good idea to stick with one sized battery where possible so that they can be interchanged among all your equipment.

12. I found tins of sweetened condensed milk in Aldi for 80 cents per tin. This stuff is probably the biggest bang for the buck there is when it comes to keeping people alive. Of all the survival foods this stuff is the indisputable king. A few tins of this will keep you alive for a surprisingly long period. Do yourself a favor and buy a few tins. It seems to keep forever too. I gulped down a full tin once when I hadn’t eaten for a few days. It felt really good.

If you really want to be a smarty buy a few boxes of Aldi yogurt bars. You can dip these into condensed milk as you’re eating them, and let’s just say you will be well nourished!!!

If you really want to go for broke buy a couple of bags of generic brand no-name lowlife muesli. These sell for about $2 per one kilo bag and practically guarantee your survival for a very long time.

13. Cooking rice in a Thermos flask. You need to buy parboiled rice as ordinary rice won’t cook. Add a few other things such as powdered soups, peas, beans etc to soak up excess water and your dinner will be ready before long.

14. A handy thing to carry in you personal BOB is a metho stove minus the frame. These are very small and light weight and will cook a small meal.

15. Steel capped boots are coming down in price. But you will have to look around for a pair that you like. Today I bought a pair of King Gee lace up boots for $67 at a half price sale. No one wanted them because they were size 13. But that is okay by me because two pairs of thick socks can be worn with them. I would recommend these to anyone for use just about anywhere. These boots are very comfortable and last for years and they will protect your feet very well.

16. A cheap knife. Bootmakers knives sell for only a couple of dollars each. These are the ones with the wooden handle and the wedge shaped tip. These knives are very durable and the steel is of good quality. If you are surviving on the cheap these knives are an excellent choice. You can make a scabbard out of a piece of plastic folded over and taped, or even cardboard will do. The one I have has lasted ten years of use and abuse and it’s still going strong.

17. Imagine the situation where you have to walk a long distance. It is night. It is raining. Cars are going past and their tail lights are disappearing into the distance. You are wet and miserable and finally find a place to sleep under a bridge for the night. What are the things that will lift your spirits? Some music from a pocket radio would be one, a cup of tea or cocoa would be another, and a hot meal would definitely be another. Cheap pocket radios sell from $5 to $20. They come with earphones and the batteries seem to last forever. Keep it in a ziplock sandwich bag. I suggest that you get the more expensive radio that has both FM and AM and can scan for stations.

A cooking kit is another great asset. This will consist of an army dixie, some aluminum foil to cover the top while cooking, and as already mentioned, an alcohol stove. You’ll also need a` plastic cup (50 cents) and a knife/spoon/ fork set (these can even be made out of plastic.)

These items, plus a good book, will put you in a different frame of mind and your hardships will seem much less. These are essential items for living on the road.

18. When you are on the road keep a diary. You can write in it at the end of every day and it is good for you psychologically. I don’t know why but if you write it up properly it helps to put everything you do into perspective. It also makes great reading at a later date.

19. Soap. I’ve tried out all kinds of soap hoping to find cheaper or better brands. I’ve found that the best soaps are the major brands such as Lux, Palmolive etc. They are not only pleasant to use but seem to be the overall cheapest considering that the bars don’t disappear too quickly when washing. Pure laundry soap lasts longer but is not as pleasant to use. I’ve tried making soap from caustic soda and oil but the results were no where near as good as the commercial brands. I’ve stocked up on 50 bars and that is the end of my adventures with soap. Toothpaste is another area where I’ve found that the common commercial brands are the best. The $5 tubes are much better than the $2 tubes. If anyone knows any different I’d like to know because there is a good deal of money to be saved here.

20. My bug out bag.

Contents

1. A quality compass.

2. Leatherman Wave Multitool

3. First Aid kit

4. Army dixie

5. Rather not say..

6. Metho stove

7. 6 muesli bars

8. Small packet of cocoa

7. Tube of condensed milk

8. 4 packets of powdered soup

9. Spyderco folding knife

10. Plastic cup

11. 1 army water bottle

12. Miltec LED flashlight

13. Tin of braised streak.

14. Cigarette lighter.

15. Bivvy bag (thanks Enigma)

16. Knife/spoon/fork set.

17. Regional map

18. Local map

19. Large canteen if needed.

20. Transistor radio

21. Handheld UHF radio.

22. Mobile phone

20. Packed into a webbing kit.

Other items can be added depending on the exact situation. The first aid kit is fairly extensive but weighs under 1 kilo.

(1)
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 968964/pg2

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Quote:
Laxatives are an essential item for long term survival. This might not fit in with the tough image of the survivalist, but the facts are plain. With a sudden change of diet, constipation will be a constant problem and can lead to complications such as anal fissures and other nasties which are just waiting to strike the unprepared. Constipation will be the most common medical problem in otherwise healthy survivalists. A reasonable stock of laxatives is one of the most important items to store away. Extra laxatives should also be included in your last minute shopping list.

Thanks for the reminder, recall. :clap

Anyone who has camped (or traveled for that matter) for an extended period of time can attest to the need for a laxative. Not to mention when you begin to eat all those beans and rice you've stored. :lol

I have Metamucil stored because it helps either way. ;)

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:23 am
Truth Seeker

That is a HORRIBLE 24 hour prep list. Some of that stuff you need to have well before TSHTF, and some oyu just don't need.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:40 am
Site Admin

NawtyBits wrote:
That is a HORRIBLE 24 hour prep list. Some of that stuff you need to have well before TSHTF, and some oyu just don't need.

Well ya just know that I am gonna ask you to post yours now don;t ya :roflmao

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

After the Ike experience, I've begun to rethink the whole "what to prep if you only have 24 hours" thing.

I helped make this list at the old Flu Wiki. At the time, I thought it was an excellent strategy until reality hit between the eyes.

Nawty is correct - most of the stuff on this list you should already have. Period - end of story.

This whole list was predicated on a world wide epidemic of bird flu - not an earthquake, flood, snow storm, hurricane, financial collapse, meteor strike, whatever.

What's it really like 24 hours before a disaster?

1. People are hysterical.

2. There are incredibly long lines - 2 hours to check out, anyone?

3. There is pushing and shoving for water and basic necessities.

4. There is no more bread.

5. There is no more peanut butter, soup, vienna sausage, jam - take yer pick of survival food.

6. There is no more propane.

7. There is no more gasoline.

8. The ATM's are already out of cash - don't even bother.

9. There is no place to park at the local grocery store.

10. There is no more ice.

Do you want to place your family in this type situation? Put a bit back each week and you don't have to be here with the rest of the herd.

You simply sit at home, safe and know that come what may you can handle it.

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on wheat berries, dehydrated food, etc. Like Nawty says - buy what you already eat - one extra can at a time.

Bugging out for those who live in urban areas? Remember the Rita "evacuation" anyone?

Seriously, do you want to be in your car, stuck on an interstate highway with no bathroom, running out of gasoline, hiding your stores in your vehicle from folks walking up and down beside you begging for food/water for their children?

Or in some cases, demanding food and water from you?

Oh, so you're gonna leave at 2:30 am so you won't have to deal with the above? Umm hmmm - half your town has the same idea once they see the tv pictures of gridlock.

That's what it's really like.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:41 am