It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 am

GENERATORS 
Site Admin

Post GENERATORS
Wattage Chart for everything you may want to power with a generator. Long list of items from hair dryers to well pumps.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/prod ... gg_wattage

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 am
Profile WWW
Truth Seeker

Post Re: GENERATORS
Just brought my new Generator home today, a 3KW unit. Now I am thinking, I should buy another, and keep it in the box, it will be worth twice as much as soon as the general supply is gone.
Mizar

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:48 pm
Site Admin

Mizar wrote:
Just brought my new Generator home today, a 3KW unit. Now I am thinking, I should buy another, and keep it in the box, it will be worth twice as much as soon as the general supply is gone.
Mizar

What kind did you get Mizar if you don;t mind me asking

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Truth Seeker

The Champion 3000 Watt, it was $399 CDN, Canadian Tire has it for the same price in this week's flyer. I am now thinking I should get another, and just keep it in the box until TSHTF, then sell it at a huge profit.
Mizar

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:21 pm
Site Admin

Mizar wrote:
The Champion 3000 Watt, it was $399 CDN, Canadian Tire has it for the same price in this week's flyer. I am now thinking I should get another, and just keep it in the box until TSHTF, then sell it at a huge profit.
Mizar

Geeze that's a GREAT deal, think I will get one for the Business, should work real well for what I need...

Thanks

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Don't forget that you will need gasoline to run the generators. ;)

Our generator is 1500 watts - a baby, I know. But there are some advantages to it:

a. It doesn't require a huge amount of gasoline to run.

b. It can be turned on and off as needed.

c. We only use it for a light, fan and television - not to run 24 hours/day to power the house.

d. It is quiet as a little mouse.

As you both know, once the power goes out for an extended period of time - gasoline becomes harder and harder to find. Electrity powers the gas pumps at gas stations.

Hopefully, there will be "pockets" of power like there was after Ike. But there will be huge, huge lines waiting for their chance at the pump. This can be a dangerous situation with folks frustrated and out of sorts because their ATM and credit cards don't work - cash only. The worst thing is to get to the pump and find out it is cash only and you have none.

Best advice is to scope out several Mom and Pop places on the outskirts of town and make sure you drop in once in a while and buy something from them. Strike up a conversation so they will remember you when disaster strikes. (Selene's random act of kindness scenerio). ;)

We found gasoline at a small Mom and Pop place that sold fishing bait, for goodness sakes! Thank heavens we had bought bait from them for years and they remembered us. They were right on the coast and still had electricity - who knew? It depends on the grid you are on.

Lastly, make sure you have small bills in your home as well. Mom and Pop places have limited amounts of cash for change - so make sure you have exact change after a disaster. They will love you for it and will make sure you get what you need next time.

Basically, the last thing you want is to be the person driving a Cadillac or Hummer trying to buy gas from someone you've never met with a $100 bill.

Ain't happenin'! :nono

Try to be Bubba Redneck Good Ole Boy in your pickem up truck buying $13.75 worth of gas from folks who at least recognize your face - with exact change.

:mrgreen:

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:17 am
Truth Seeker

Good thoughts Blue, we keep 40 litres of gasoline in safe storage for the vehicles and now the Generator, my next purchase will be a propane powered Gen, as propane is safer to store.
L2, yes at $399 how can you go wrong? that and about 40 litres of fuel, total outlay $350, and you are good for a week with proper planning, the freezer will only need an hour or two every two days, we will switch to the mini Bar fridge when the power is out, and if it is in anytime other than summer, a lot of food storage can go into secure storage outside, as it is lower than fridge temps most of the year up here.
Mizar

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:50 pm
Truth Seeker

Sorry, my bad, total outlay $450, not $350.
Mizar

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:00 pm
Site Admin

Mizar - last year after Ike we looked into a natural gas generator. It is basically hooked up to the natural gas line into our house and automatically kicks in when power is lost - no gasoline!

:gah

$6,000 to $10,000! :huh

Uh, yeah - not so much. Maybe when we win the lottery! ;)

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 am

Guys - you should rather think of diesel units. If TSHTF fuel will be out asap, and at least you can then scrounge for plant oils so you can make your own fuel. We have planted tree crops to supplement our feed stocks.

:cool

We installed a 15Kw dielel unit and have been pleased as punch with it, as we have had MANY black outs here due to insufficient grid supply! The Soccer World Cup event coming up here will certainly be a test of limits for us...

Also don't forget to buy essential spares for your machine - like oil and air filters (and ofcourse you will be needing those pesky spark plugs if you have a gas unit.)

:candle

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

BRIGGS & STRATTON OFFERS GENERATOR SAFETY TIPS DURING 2010 NATIONAL HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS WEEK
May 21, 2010

Milwaukee, Wis., (May 23, 2010)—National Hurricane Preparedness Week is a good time to review tips for safely operating portable generators. Briggs & Stratton, North America’s largest supplier of portable generators, offers these safety tips.

Only use your generator outdoors—Keep away from open windows, vents or doors. Never use your generator inside homes, garages, crawl spaces or enclosed areas.

Operating Manual and Instructions—Always read and follow the manufacturer’s operating manual and instructions before running your generator.

Carbon Monoxide—Engines emit carbon monoxide. Do not run your generator in an enclosed area.

Carbon Monoxide Detector—Use a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector when running your generator.

Generator Fumes—Fumes that can kill can build up when using a generator in an enclosed area. Fans and open doors or windows do not provide enough fresh air.

Proper Extension Cords—When using extension cords, be sure they are of the grounded type and are rated for the application.

Coiled Extension Cords—Coiled cords can get hot. Always uncoil cords and lay them in flat open locations.

Home Outlet—Never plug your generator directly into your home outlet.

Power Transfer Switch—If connecting a generator to your home’s electrical system, have a qualified electrician install a Power Transfer Switch.

Wet Conditions—Protect your generator from exposure to rain/snow. Generators product powerful voltage. Do not operate a generator in wet conditions.

Refueling—Gasoline and its vapors are extremely flammable, allow engine to cool at least two minutes before refueling.

Combustible Materials—Do not operate a generator near combustible materials.

Fresh Gasoline—Use fresh gas in your generator. If you do not plan to use your generator in 30 days, stabilize the gas with fuel stabilizer.

Maintenance Schedule—Maintain your generator according to the maintenance schedule for peak performance and safety.

http://www.briggsnewsroom.com/news/releases/index.cfm?n_id=55&nsc_id=1

Thu May 27, 2010 1:10 pm
GT Truther

:roflmao HA HA LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!

Magnetic Generator – A Real Solution to Free Home Electricity?
By Steven Reed 1968 | January 21, 2010

Hi, and Welcome to this inaugarul post. I’m Steve and I am a qualified Permaculture Designer who has had an extremely long interest in home power generation, and the concept of not having to rely on electricity companies, goverments, coal production etc for me being able to cook, keep warm and sustain my family. I finally found a system that worked !

Some time ago a friend asked me what I thought was the best home electricity generation method. I, without giving it a lot of thought said Solar Power, then Wind Turbines. She told me she could never afford the upfront cost of those systems. and that it takes years to make your money back on them. I then went into a speech about sustainability and the threat to the planet.

I sat down that evening and thought,” I wonder if those are the only solutions to creating your own electricity. Surely there must be a system that everyone could afford. And what if hundreds of thousands of people around the world implemented such a system?”

I thought and thougth and researched, and then i found something that appeared too good to be true !

If you are anything like me, and thousands of other householders, finding ways to save on your electricity bill is important. I got fed up of turning all the lights off all the time and having to wear two jumpers just to be sustainable. Generating your own electricity is a very appealing idea. I found that there are many home energy generating products on the market these days. But which to choose?

I am by nature a sceptic. Reviews by supposed ‘real people’ often put me on my guard but this time I found something that i had to try. I hadn’t heard of a magnetic generator before but it was said to be simple to build, and great for home power production. They are reliable, low in cost to build and are said to cut your electricity costs by up to 50%

Solar Power and Wind Generators work, there is no doubting that, but the upfront costs are beyond many, and it can take between 10 and 20 years to pay off the system and be actually making free electricity. I live in Australia, and the sun shines a lot, but i just haven’t got the cash to buy solar or wind power.

Wind did seem like a good idea to me at one time, but the cost of a turbine large enough to power my home, and the huge mast and wire guy lines required put me off. After buying the MagniWork Magnetic Generator Plans, I realised that a magnetic generator is the most versatile option, and that a system could be (and was) built in only 2-3 hours. I have very basic tools and little DIY skill, but I built the machine easily, and with parts ALL sourced from the hardware store down the road.

The Magnetic Generator is the complete opposite of the solar panel system and is a fantastic alternative energy method. The parts to build the magnetic power generator are extremely low cost and the ongoing maintenance costs and time are very low too. $100 USD will get you all the parts you need. You will see instant savings on your power bill and the payback time will be short, not 10-15 years as with solar panels.

After building a Magnetic Generator I found it to be an amazing alternative to solar power, and it works even if the sun’s not shining. It cost me $110 USD in all. I monitored the savings on our electricity bill over three 3 month periods and I saved exactly 47.9% on my power bills.

If green power is important to you, then take a look at magnetic generators. You”ll see that they do offer an amazing alternative to wind generators and solar power systems. I built one and spend a fair bit of time just looking at it, amazed at what I’ve created and wondering why I didn’t think of it before. I’m saving money and passing the idea on to friends and relatives. I didn’t want to be a slave to the electricity companies, or worry about the peak oil crisis.

The magnetic generator I built has not let me down once and I hardly need to do any work on it at all. The single magniwork generator produces around 50% of my electricity, cutting my electricity bill in half. I’m currently building a second one to become total self sufficient in power production.

So what are the basic principles of a magnetic generator?

Well, the generator, once built, creates more energy than it needs to run itself….a lot more. The surplus energy is for you to use to power your home. A typical magnetic generator system may provide 50% of a homes power, but that is obviously dependent on your consumption.

One of the greatest benefits of a magnetic generator over solar or wind power is that it will function all day long irrespective of what the weather is doing. Be it hot, freezing, cloudy or bright, a magnetic generator will continue producing power for you. The unit is small, needs little maintenance and does not pollute.

Some more benefits

1. Simple to Use
2. Very Cheap to Build
3. Cheaper still to run
4. Provides HUGE reductions on your Electricity Bill
5. Safe to Use – Does not Pollute

The principle that the magnetic generator uses is that by producing a magnetic force, it instigates continuous motion of the wheel. Once the unit has begun moving it will continue to move unaided due to the polarity of the magnets.

Magnetic Generators are likely to become very mainstream over the next few years as a cheap alternative to solar and wind power. However, once the commercial value of them is realized, they won’t be able to be bought for the $100 or so that you can make one for.

http://magnetic-generator.org/

http://www.magniwork.com/?hop=stevereed1

Thu May 27, 2010 8:42 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Freak your link above is dead here is the proper address

http://www.magniwork.com/

Ya know that ole saying if sounds to good to be true it is, I wonder if this is another one of those deals :hmm

Fri May 28, 2010 4:15 am
Profile WWW

Afraid you're right L2L as these kits spin a story and you have to pray that you get a result.

From personal experience I can recommend the BEDINI Motor / Generator

http://www.rexresearch.com/bedini/bedini.htm#links

This guys knows his stuff, and he is quoted a lot on the net.

Quote:
SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The device and method of the present invention is a new permanent electromagnetic motor generator that recycles back EMF energy (regauging) thus allowing the motor to produce an energy level of COP=0.98, more or less, depending upon configuration, circuitry, switching elements and the number and size of stators, rotors and coils that comprise the motor. The rotor is fixed between two pole pieces of the stator. The motor generator is initially energized from a small starter battery means, analogous to a spark plug, that sends a small amount of energy to the motor, thus stimulating a rotating motion from the rotor. As the rotor rotates, energy is captured from the surrounding electromagnetic field containing an asymmetrical pulse wave of back EMF. The energy produced and captured can be directed in one of several directions, including returning energy to the initial starter battery, rotating a shaft for work and/or sending a current to energize a fan, light bulb or other such device.
[snip]

:sherlock

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

This Here!

Scribd::The Orion Project Memorandum

The Orion Project Dot ORG

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:39 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

South African Fuel-Free Generator Preparing for Market

This was in the news some days ago: a South African company has developed a Fuel Free Generator:

Sterling Allan reports on his recent trip to South Africa to visit a company who has developed a 5 kilowatt Fuel Free Generator that will be available beginning March for their existing customers. Sterling will be getting a generator to test and use on his home from that first batch of 200.

Before I left, many people were concerned for my safety, wondering which direction from the airport I would be going in Johannesburg. I think you can see from these photos of my hotel room that they took very good care of me, as we were in an affluent, safe part of town. I only took 17 photos, total, while in Johannesburg, so obviously I wasn't in "tourist" mode. It was all business, and very enjoyable for me. (That last image is a glass sink.)

by Sterling D. Allan
Pure Energy Systems News

On February 11 and 12, I was able to witness a 5 kilowatt (enough to power a home without central air conditioning, conservatively) fuel-free generator in Johannesburg and to meet the inventor and some of the principle players in helping him bring this technology to market.

Full article available here:

http://pesn.com/2012/02/22/9602042_Sout ... or_Market/

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 am

Way cool post epo3 - that vid was shot not a few miles from where I live. Gotta see this for real!

Thanks for finding this...

Will report when more news at hand.

:clap

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Re: GENERATORS
Personal generators of ANY sort have been outlawed in Australia :headbang :rant :flame

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

What? Why in the world, Freak?

That makes no sense!

Yes, they are noisey but if several folks are running them after a disaster who cares anyway?

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:17 am

Very strange indeed fr33k....

How do campers in Auz get around thst one?

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Bluebonnet wrote:
What? Why in the world, Freak?

That makes no sense!

Yes, they are noisey but if several folks are running them after a disaster who cares anyway?

Electricity companies whinging about losing profits and they got them banned

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:10 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
Very strange indeed fr33k....

How do campers in Auz get around thst one?

batteries and gas cylinders! thats how!

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:16 am
Profile YIM
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
Way cool post epo3 - that vid was shot not a few miles from where I live. Gotta see this for real!

Thanks for finding this...

Will report when more news at hand.

:clap

Wow Sky, it would be awesome to have a GTer make contact in this issue, (take your phone cam if you can lol)

This ain't much to add but here it is:
http://www.project.nsearch.com/profiles ... -energy-is

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:39 pm