It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Food Storage Discussion 
Site Admin

Post Food Storage Discussion
Ok so with all this doom & gloom talk of late it has me thinking about my food storage.
I figure I have enough to survive 4 months maybe longer with rationing depending on just how bad it gets, assuming it gets bad at all, I am still on the fence with all this as you all know.

I have been able to restock some of my needed canned goods and I was able to get my aunt (she owns a Helath Food Store) to get me of some flour a big bag (it's in a 5 gallon pail with the lid on) although it is for a Bread Maker so if we lose power I could be SOL..

Here is my pasta stock, getting very low for us :scared

Our Raman Noodles etc

Our bag of Flour with 5 Gallon Pail & Lid

Our Canned Veggies, Got these at Wegmans for 33 cents a can last month :awe

And finally our canned Soup and above canned Beans and Pasta Sauce, although I will be making sauce again this year so I will have home made as well soon

I was thinking about buying a Hand Grinder similar to the one below and buying one or two bags of wheat and possibly even a few bags of rice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XXL-Grain-Corn-Cere ... 5adbc89204

Here are some other grinders as well
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=wheat&_kw=grinders

My question is will the wheat and rice last a long time in a 5 gallon pail with the lid on and sealed??

Can anyone add to what I have here, I know we have done this over and over but everytime we do a new thread like this it always ends up helping someone as they forget about something.

And hey its always good to shoot the shit right....

Thanks for any input any of you have, I still have to put this inventory into my Excel Sheet, I have just been too busy at work lately :headbang

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Food Storage Discussion
Was just checking out a few cool links and I stumbled across this deal, just bought one myslef to add an extra month to my supply, for 150 bux what do you have to lose?

They claim a shelf life of 25 years so this can just sit in a dry dark corner, hopefull we NEVER need it but its nice to know its there :clap ..

I sure hope they ship to Canada :scared

http://www.timefoodsupply.com/

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Crap! Just lost my post. :rant

Here is a good link to food storage:

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/storage_life_of_foods.htm

Here is a link from above to The Seven Major Mistakes in Food Storage:

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/seven_major_mistakes_in_food_storage.htm

Not picking on ya bud, but I don't see:

Vitamins - especially children's multi-vitamins - no rickets, ya know?

Powdered or condensed milk - again above

Sweetner - sugar, honey, molasses

Comfort foods - pudding, custard powder, jello

Juices - fruit or vegetable

Salt

Spices

Coffee or Tea - don't forget that powdered coffee creamer stores a long time and makes powdered milk taste pretty good! ;)

Food rotation

Are you actually eating this food? For instance, do you eat the Ramen noodles for lunch?

In the States, our grocery stores go on 6 week cycles. In other words, it is normally 6 weeks between sales so I try to stock up for 6 weeks at a time.

Right now my stores are low, low, low. I wish I could grab a deal on canned goods like you did. Bravo! :clap

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 pm
Site Admin

Really appreciate the feedback BB but keep in mind this is simply my cantena, I have ALLOT more in my basement freezer, upstairs fridge and upstairs panrty so this does NOT include ALL my storage :nono ;)
And YES I really do eat most EVERYTHING you can see in the photos excluding the Raman Noodles as I just got them and I paid ONE DOLLAR for each pack of SIX if you can believe that :awe

Thanks for the links :clap :clap :clap

I did NOT show the 4 dummy johns of wine and or my 6 water contatiners for instance :roflmao

See my response in RED inside your quoted area for my feedback, another great discussion with more tips :clap

Oh BTW I plan on changing the way I have things as I just saw a tip about keeping Jars & Cans as low to the ground as possible due to Floods and or Earthquakes, what a great tip and seeing as how I just experienced my first earthquake here this past summer you would think that I would have thought of that before stacking those jars on the top shelf :headbang

Bluebonnet wrote:
Crap! Just lost my post. :rant

Here is a good link to food storage:

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/storage_life_of_foods.htm

Here is a link from above to The Seven Major Mistakes in Food Storage:

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/seven_major_mistakes_in_food_storage.htm

Not picking on ya bud, but I don't see:

Vitamins - saw that above! especially children's multi-vitamins - no rickets, ya know? UPSTAIRS

Powdered or condensed milk - again above I have that on the way with the above order that I just made

Sweetner - sugar, honey, molasses It is on the bottom shelf that you cannot see

Comfort foods - pudding, custard powder, jello GREAT IDEA, never thought of Jello & Puddings, thanks

Juices - fruit or vegetable Again you can't see it here but we canned a bunch of fruit, and the juice is on the bottom shelf at the back

Salt We do NOT use much but again its on the bottom shelf plus what we have upstairs

Spices ALL Upstairs in VERY BIG Costco size containers

Coffee or Tea - don't forget that powdered coffee cream stores a long time and makes powdered milk taste pretty good! ;) Tea is upstairs and coffee is again not seeable in this photo but there are 4 jars there trust me
Food rotation

Are you actually eating this food? For instance, do you eat the Ramen noodles for lunch? As stated I just got these but I plan on trying one just to see if I like it, if not when TSHTF I will eat anything a that point right? For what it cost me who cares its a back up ONLY

In the States, our grocery stores go on 6 week cycles. In other words, it is normally 6 weeks between sales so I try to stock up for 6 weeks at a time.

Right now my stores are low, low, low. I wish I could grab a deal on canned goods like you did. Bravo! :clap
That shopping spree cost me more than you know as I was in the mountains with my 27 foot trailer LOADED with ALL of the Canned Beans and Veggies you can see in the photo so you can just imagine the fuel I burned getting that weight back to Canada :awe
I figure I added an extra 250 lbs to my overall weight in canned goods alone.
Well worth it IMHO at 33 cents a can, and they are the big ones two not those soup can size

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Well after what I just posted I got freaked out and went to re-arrange my shelves to put the cans and glass to the bottom, man that was stupid of me :headbang :crazy

Anyways Blue I hope this better depicts my two shelving units, keep in mind this is simply a cold cellar most spices etc are upstairs in the Panrty and Round About..

Here is my bottom shelf with cans of beans and Glass Store Bought Pasta Suace

Shelf 2

Shelf 3

Shelf 4

Shelf 5

My water supply

My Wine Supply

Here is my first batch of fruit, more to come soon

And here is what is left of last years Home Made Tomatoe Sauce

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

Great thread, L. We can't discuss food supplies and storage too much.

I have lots of rice, (in addition to 2 tubs of flour and some corn meal) and in addition to canned foods (soups, meats and fish, veggies, fruit, beans, "meals in a can" like beef stew, chili, corned beef hash, chunky soups, etc.) I have a whole 5 gallon tub of dry beans. Add cereal, including lots of oatmeal, rice cakes for me in place of bread, (I can also make tortillas with the corn meal) lots of PB&J, condiments to spice up bland food.

L, I have LOTS of salt because I think it will be a much wanted item, both for people who don't have much and are sick of boring food, but as a way to preserve meat and fish. Spices will be good barter items, as will flour, rice, and sugar. I have packaged flour and sugar in 1 and 2 lb. empty coffee cans, ready for trading. However, I have already raided those, lol but I will replace them.

What else??? Some candy for the kids, pop tarts, fruit snacks, little extras to help them deal with the new reality. (DS cand DIL still aren't prepping, so I have to triple what I need for just DH and me. I know I'm not going to let them starve, so I might as well have as much food as I can. And yes, we eat everything I buy (used up a lot waiting for the house to sell!) except the flour, but that is good for a LONG time. Even if it gets bugs, which I doubt it will now since it hasn't yet, we can still eat it. Just a little extra protein in the bread and pasta. ;)

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:47 pm
Profile YIM

Cool thread guys.

What about cooking oil L2L? We buy only cold pressed olive oil.

Do you have pets? We have a cool recipe for dog food, and so we stock up for that too.

What about dry beans. We grow our own and have them stored in glass preserve jars. Dry stuff will last the longest. Rice keeps for years, but you have to protect against weavels!

And do you have any seed stored? Never know when it may be opportune to grow stuff, but better to have some stored away in case.

Luckilly we are vegetarian, so we don't have the bother with meats. :lol

Maybe we can do a check list of the top 50 things we can check against. I will ask my wife to update our list and maybe post it?

:mrgreen:

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I have oil stored and will be buying rice in the next week or so as well as some sort of dry beans as well.

I would like your pet recipe if you dont mind sharing....

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Holy crap! L2L,

you pantry looks like my local grocery store :shock: the walk is only 1.25 Miles not far.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:44 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Here's a tip for the weevils that my Grandmother passed on to me.

Wrigley's spearmint gum!

Yep, just place one stick of gum down into flour, cornmeal, rice, dried beans - still in the wrapper.

Weevils HATE the smell of spearmint and it won't make the food taste like spearmint! :mrgreen:

I have corn meal, masa harina, grits, and oatmeal stored, too. Yes, I am a child of the South and could not LIVE without my grits and corn meal. :lol

The masa harina is for tortillas and tamales. ;) I also have salsa stored - ahhh yes - Texas ketchup! :crylaugh

I, too, have lots of salt stored like Ruts. I have both Morton's iodized salt and kosher salt.

I have sugar - white, confectioner's and brown sugar stored, too.

I also have stored honey, molasses, maple syrup (cause I LOVE it) as well.

Found a sale on canned veggies today - not nearly as cheap as L found but I'll take it!

Found a sale on soup a couple of weeks ago and stocked up on that.

I also have laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, bath soap and bleach stored. These are the items I only purchase about every 6 weeks and I never purchase them without a coupon. :noway

I am low on spaghetti sauce, egg noodles, penne pasta and spaghetti. Used too much of it over the summer, I guess. :doh

We've also been going through orzo and couscous like crazy!

It is hard for me right now because I am still trying to lose weight and the stored goods are not exactly diet friendly! :crylaugh

I still need some Spam, vienna sausage and some other canned meats of some kind.

I gave away some of the cans of stew, canned chicken, canned tuna, and canned fruit in the last food drive at work. :roll

I, too, eat what I store. Three weeks ago I only spent $52 for a whole week's worth of groceries. Today - $150 but I had $22 worth of coupons. :yamon

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:48 pm
GT Truther

D**N where do you get cheap food I fill one trolley up and it costs me a WHOPPING $780 F :censor G.S.T. I remember two years before the g.s.t. was introduced Prime blade steak was $2.99kg now its $39.45kg up about 1480% in just over TEN YEARS :flame :gah :headbang :fu :censor :censor :evil :evil :fight :fight :doh :doh :rant :rant

If you don't beleive me check out this australian wholesalers prices and this IS WHOLESALE

A 2LTR milk here today costs $7.80 yet a 2LTR coke costs $6.80 I go for the specials 2x1.25LTR for $4.99

A 200g packet of ARNOTTS SHAPES is $3.80

Most Americans come over here and GRIPE about the prices inside the $2 shops about an 100g easter egg costing $5.00 Yes Americans gripe about their prices at their Checkouts maybe they should move here for a while where we DON'T have these six week saving thing that you have over there you'd come here eat for six months get FREAKED OUT that everything here costs almost 6 TIMES MORE HERE and RUN back to the states and being on an AU PENSION S*CKS $770 a FORTNIGHT that's $385 a WEEK CONVERTED INTO THE US CURRENCY THATS JUST 353.045 USD so WOULD YOU GUYS BE ABLE TO SURVIVE ON A MEASLE $353 a week with your food prices the way they are now.

THINK ABOUT IT!
and you have a parent/partner who has a 2 pack a day ciggarette habit one pack of ciggarettes costs $35 a day that $70 for two PLUS YOU GOTTA PAY YOUR UTILITY BILLS ON TOP OF THAT!! shocked yet!! :flame

WE get a fornight:
$120 (mother pays all the rent is $500+)
I get $775
my sister get $775
it = $1670

outta that we gotta pay $849+ electric bill each quarter
supply mothers habit of $70 a DAY ciggarettes
over a week thats $490 over a fornight its $980
$1670-
$0980=
$0690 to live on a fortnight

$690 lousy dollars to live on for a fortnight and mother won't kick her habit she says it's all she's got in life :shakehead

now lets convert $690 to us currency 632.730 USD I challenge any one of you to live on that a FORTNIGHT that's just $316.36 a WEEK AND DON'T FORGET YOUR CUPBOARDS AND PANTRIES AND OTHER FOOD STORAGE PLACES ARE COMPLETELY DEPLETED THAT IS THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LEFT AT ALL try this you'll GO ABSOLUTELY BONKERS!!! :crylaugh try buying your food each week on $316.36 BET YOU CAN'T PLUS ON TOP OF THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY YOUR $120 a MONTH INTERNET+PHONE BILL WHICH IS NOT THE BEST SERVICE IN THE WORLD 100+ DROPOUTS AND CRACKLING LINE ON A GOOD DAY NO INTERNET AT ALL ON A BAD DAY! :crylaugh and your PARENT IS HEAVILY MENTALLY ILL!! AND RAVES ON ALL DAY ABOUT NINJA-ASSASINS INSIDE THE WALLS TRYING TO KILL YOU ALL THE TIME+ 30 police officers (that are not real) that she's supposedly in LOVE WITH!!! +cannibals walking the street trying to CUT YOU UP ALL THE TIME AND ASSR*PE YOU all the while running aound the back yark STARK NAKED YELLING PROFANITIES AT NIEGHBOURS::

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 pm
Profile YIM

This venture started for us as our large dog is 11 now and started showing signs of hip dysplasia. We were feeding tinned dog food and alternating with the typical bagged dry food, yet a good brand. After some research it appeared that the processed food was the problem (sugars and poor quality ingredients) so we decided to change the diet to a more natural source. Nothing easily accessible and costing a bomb we decided to home prep their food. So now they (we have two dogs, a jack Russell and the big dog - looks like an Alsatian but she is a cross breed and red in color) have this recipe below alternated with Hills J/D's prescription diet which is high in omega oils.

The task to prep two batches takes us 3 hours. Trust this helps as it also has components which can be stocked up on.

The Topdog health food recipe

Ingredients:

1 Kg Brown rice
500g Lentils
500g Soup mix
500g split peas
1kg Carrots - grated
10 cloves of Garlic
40 g Himalayan Salt
Assortment of Herbs (two handfuls or about 300g) This is the most important ingredient!

Method:

Cover ingredients with water and steam (pressure cook) for 10 min. and let stand for 20 min.

Place all cooked ingredients in to a big bowl
add 1 and 1/2 cups of Olive oil and mix well
add 1kg of defrosted mince into the mixture and mix well
add all the herbs chopped fine and mix well

When cooled down sufficiently pack 700g for large dog and 350g for small dog. Zip lock bags (Quart size and sandwich size.)

Freeze the packets when cooled down.

The herbs include: Thyme, rosemary, mint, spearmint, parsley, basil-/sacred basil, comfrey, fennel, lemon balm, nasturtium leaves and cilantro.

© Sky

;)

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks Sky I have a Golden who had hip issues so i may just give this a try :wavey

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:38 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
This venture started for us as our large dog is 11 now and started showing signs of hip dysplasia. We were feeding tinned dog food and alternating with the typical bagged dry food, yet a good brand. After some research it appeared that the processed food was the problem (sugars and poor quality ingredients) so we decided to change the diet to a more natural source. Nothing easily accessible and costing a bomb we decided to home prep their food. So now they (we have two dogs, a jack Russell and the big dog - looks like an Alsatian but she is a cross breed and red in color) have this recipe below alternated with Hills J/D's prescription diet which is high in omega oils.

The task to prep two batches takes us 3 hours. Trust this helps as it also has components which can be stocked up on.

The Topdog health food recipe

Ingredients:

1 Kg Brown rice
500g Lentils
500g Soup mix
500g split peas
1kg Carrots - grated
10 cloves of Garlic
40 g Himalayan Salt
Assortment of Herbs (two handfuls or about 300g) This is the most important ingredient!

Method:

Cover ingredients with water and steam (pressure cook) for 10 min. and let stand for 20 min.

Place all cooked ingredients in to a big bowl
add 1 and 1/2 cups of Olive oil and mix well
add 1kg of defrosted mince into the mixture and mix well
add all the herbs chopped fine and mix well

When cooled down sufficiently pack 700g for large dog and 350g for small dog. Zip lock bags (Quart size and sandwich size.)

Freeze the packets when cooled down.

The herbs include: Thyme, rosemary, mint, spearmint, parsley, basil-/sacred basil, comfrey, fennel, lemon balm, nasturtium leaves and cilantro.

© Sky

;)

D**n Sky that sounds good enough for a Human to eat! Cooked of course would make a NICE MEATLOAF!

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:10 am
Profile YIM

L2L - it works! With exercise and the new diet the big girl has better mobility and she is not in pain anymore. Very grateful for that.

Depending on your dogs' taste, you can try add different veggies. I add pumpkin or squash when we have fresh from the garden.

:yamon

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Will let you know if it works for us assuming the DW will allow me to try :roflmao

Sky wrote:
L2L - it works! With exercise and the new diet the big girl has better mobility and she is not in pain anymore. Very greatful for that.

:yamon

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:22 am
Profile WWW

What are those brown containers with bottles inside (Your Wine Supply Pic above) for L2L?

They look like distilling flasks. Bootleg?

:hmm

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sky -

Quote:
500g Soup mix

Do you mean dehydrated soup mix of some type?

Thanks for the recipe! I will need to halve it for my doxies! :roflmao

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:13 am
Site Admin

Quote:
A 2LTR milk here today costs $7.80 yet a 2LTR coke costs $6.80 I go for the specials 2x1.25LTR for $4.99

A 200g packet of ARNOTTS SHAPES is $3.80

Freak - did a quick Google search and looked at a Coles ad for this week. Do you shop there or is it a "high falutin'" as East Texas calls it grocery store? Meaning one that is really high priced?

Yikes! Meat is certainly wayyyy more expensive there than here in the US. I paid $0.88 US a pound for a whole chicken yesterday. Yes, it was an advertised special and you could only purchase 2. The normal price for me is about $0.99 US a pound. Most whole chickens here weigh 2-3 pounds - these are what we call broiler/fryers. A roasting chicken weighs about 4-5 pounds and is generally a bit more expensive.

The melon prices were waaayyyyy more, too! However, it is high summer where I live and melons are in season right now. Picked up a very nice canteloupe (do you have those?) for $0.88 for the whole melon yesterday.

I saw an advertisement for Old El Paso soft taco kit. :yamon :shock:

Seriously? I had no idea!!!! :crylaugh

Oh and I also saw an advertisement for the exact same tika masala sauce that I buy here in Houston, TX - same manufacturer, same bottle, same everything. :mrgreen:

Bizzarro! :huh :lol

Peanut butter, too? I couldn't believe my eyes! :shock: :heart

I, too, struggle with what I consider to be the high cost of food. However, one huge difference between us is that the US produces most of the grain the world consumes (well, Canada, too but don't tell L ;) ) so anything made of grain like crackers, cereal, bread, muffins, rolls are considerably cheaper here.

Also, the US grows a lot of feed for cattle, chickens and pigs so meat prices are lower as well.

Plus we don't have to pay import duties and shipping.

Gulp! I would definitely be growing some veggies and shopping at farmer's markets if I were you.

:heart

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:09 am
GT Truther

See you TIXXIES have it made (if you don't mind me calling you a tixxie! that's just how I pronounce TX Like TICKS and E to announce that your from there! *I must be a NutBurger :roflmao *)

Wtf is a canteloupe? what does it taste like we don't get that here

we DON'T have farmers markets here BB so we are stuck with those NASTY prices Woolworths/Sameway and Coles/Bi-lo are oh and if you think THEY ARE DEAR LOOK UP I.G.A. which is the shop down the road from me THEY ARE EVEN DEARER!!!

http://iga.dynamiccatalogue.com.au/portal/dynamiccatalogue?CatalogueID=12828750682038&pageview=two&gotopage=1

Here My closest shop! walking distance takes 17mins

http://tinyurl.com/23j59tj

Made tiny url BB

CAN YOU TRACE MY WALKING DISTANCE!! some of these google earth pictures are a little old!

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:27 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

It looks beautiful where you live, Freak!

Let's help L2L with all those Ramen noodles! :mrgreen:

The Basic Ramen Coleslaw with Vinegar/Oil/Sugar Dressing

You can make this popular ramen noodle salad with either cabbage or broccoli slaw.

1/2 cup oil (some recipes call for up to 2/3 cup) :nono
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
seasoning packet from ramen noodles

1 pkg. broccoli slaw mix
1 cup sliced almonds
2 pkg. chicken ramen noodles (broken up)

Mix oil, sugar and vinegar. In large bowl, mix together broccoli mix, almonds and broken ramen noodles. Add dressing and toss. Let stand for a few hours.

Variations to Jazz Up Your Ramen Broccoli Slaw

Using the basic recipe above, you can make an endless variety of salads. Make any of the changes below, alone or in combination, and you have an entirely different salad.

Add 1 or 2 bunches of chopped green onion.

Add 1/2 cup sunflower seeds.

Add 3/4 cup dried cranberries.

Use rice vinegar or another flavored vinegar.

Add 1-2 teaspoons of sesame oil. ;)

Add 1 clove chopped garlic.

Use cabbage instead of broccoli slaw. :clap

Add 1-2 Tablespoons of soy sauce in the dressing. ;) :clap

Toast the raw crushed noodles before adding to salad.

Omit the seasoning packets in the dressing. Season accordingly.

Use peanuts instead of almonds.

Cook the noodles before adding to the salad.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:08 am
Site Admin

What does a cantaloupe taste like?

Hmmm - from Wikipedia:

Cantaloupe (also cantaloup, muskmelon, rockmelon or spanspek) refers to two varieties of Cucumis melo, which is a species in the family Cucurbitaceae, which includes nearly all melons and squashes. Cantaloupes range in size from 0.5 kg to 5.0 kg. Originally, cantaloupe referred only to the non-netted orange-fleshed melons of Europe; however, in more recent usage it has come to mean any orange-fleshed melon.

The North American cantaloupe, common in the United States, Mexico, and in some parts of Canada, is Cucumis melo reticulatus (or sometimes C. melo var. cantalupensis), a different member of the same muskmelon species. It is named reticulatus because of its net-like (or reticulated) skin covering. It is a round melon with firm, orange, moderately sweet flesh and a thin reticulated light-brown rind. Varieties with redder and yellower flesh exist but are not common in the U.S market.

Origin
The cantaloupe originated in India and Africa.

Cantaloupes were originally cultivated by the Egyptians and later the Greeks and Romans :heart

Cantaloupes were first introduced to North America by Christopher Columbus on his second voyage to the New World in 1494. The W. Atlee Burpee Company developed and introduced the "Netted Gem" in 1881 from varieties then growing in North America.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:12 am
GT Truther

Oh you meen Rockmelons sure we have those!

I Like adding sugar to them or Honey anyone does the trick makes them extra tasty!

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:24 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

No bootlegging here Sky, those are called DemmiJons and are used to make home made wine, 2 for my white wine 2 for my red ;)

Sky wrote:
What are those brown containers with bottles inside (Your Wine Supply Pic above) for L2L?

They look like distilling flasks. Bootleg?

:hmm

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks Blue :wavey

Bluebonnet wrote:
It looks beautiful where you live, Freak!

Let's help L2L with all those Ramen noodles! :mrgreen:

The Basic Ramen Coleslaw with Vinegar/Oil/Sugar Dressing

You can make this popular ramen noodle salad with either cabbage or broccoli slaw.

1/2 cup oil (some recipes call for up to 2/3 cup) :nono
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
seasoning packet from ramen noodles

1 pkg. broccoli slaw mix
1 cup sliced almonds
2 pkg. chicken ramen noodles (broken up)

Mix oil, sugar and vinegar. In large bowl, mix together broccoli mix, almonds and broken ramen noodles. Add dressing and toss. Let stand for a few hours.

Variations to Jazz Up Your Ramen Broccoli Slaw

Using the basic recipe above, you can make an endless variety of salads. Make any of the changes below, alone or in combination, and you have an entirely different salad.

Add 1 or 2 bunches of chopped green onion.

Add 1/2 cup sunflower seeds.

Add 3/4 cup dried cranberries.

Use rice vinegar or another flavored vinegar.

Add 1-2 teaspoons of sesame oil. ;)

Add 1 clove chopped garlic.

Use cabbage instead of broccoli slaw. :clap

Add 1-2 Tablespoons of soy sauce in the dressing. ;) :clap

Toast the raw crushed noodles before adding to salad.

Omit the seasoning packets in the dressing. Season accordingly.

Use peanuts instead of almonds.

Cook the noodles before adding to the salad.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:51 pm
Profile WWW