It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 am

Food Storage Discussion 
GT Truther

Post Re: Food Storage Discussion
just so ya's know....garbage and kitchen garbage bags are most difinately treated with pesticides. Even through the paper bag, pesticides will transfer to the sugar. A safer option is to use the large storage bags made by ziplock. Usually right next to the ziplock sandwhich bags. Safe to use for food storage and the large ones hold quite a bit.

anything that is grain....rice, wheat, noodles, ...should be repackaged into food storage bags and then frozen for a few days. For extremely long term, they should then be placed into something like 5 gal buckets with lids. If you've frozen the food, oxygen packets are not necessary, as long as the lid is secure and doesn't allow insects entry into the bucket.

Foods that will last forever stored correctly are salt, sugar, honey, beans, rice (not wild or brown rice), instant potatoes. Dehydrated foods will last years. Crisco I've read will last a few years too, kept cool...though i've yet to test that theory. Olive oil in the tin only will keep a very long time too.

My garden kept me pretty busy this year. On top of fresh eating, I got 36 qts of juice from the 10 tomato plants... just about enough for 2 years. lol lot's of chili, speghetti and lasagna coming up for us.

One thing to remember, if the time comes you will be eating a bit differently than you do today. Your requirements will change. Even no-no's like indian bread, which is high in calories and fat from frying will be do-able...as you will need the additional calories for working on your survival. Indian fry bread taco's are sooooo delicious, that DH has the biggest grin when he see's they're for dinner. Plain fair, using just a few ingredients will be the basis of food choices wshtf.

I have most of my long term food in dried form. Butter, milk (in #10 cans from beprepared.com), a few assorted veggies (celery, corn, peas, grn beans). Canned veggies are only good for a few years...the dried/dehydrated will keep for 25 if kept cool in the basement. If costs are an issue, buy a dehydrator, some mylar bags, and even oxygen packets will be alot cheaper.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:35 am
GT Truther

oh yeah. one more thing you might want to make sure to have on hand is a good vacume sealed thermos or two. To save on food and fuel for reheating.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:40 am
Site Admin

Thanks all! I'm learning more and more every day.

Just one kinda ucky thing to bring up. If you have old recipes (and some new ones, too) that call for sifted flour - do you know WHY it is sifted?

Yes, partly to break up the lumps and make the flour fluffy but the real reason? To sift out the weevils.

Yeah I know - weevils make me squeamish, too, and I hate the little critters. But when/if TSHTF will you really let some weevils stop you from eating the flour/food?

Make sure you have a flour sifter - jest sayin! ;)

Thanks for the info on the calcium, Sky! :clap

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:57 am
Site Admin

These look pretty neat, stumbled across them through another site...

Anyone have one :hmm

http://www.volcanogrills.com/images/bel ... r_eyes.gif

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Got one of the originals.... can use just about anything to cook with

Leo

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:24 pm
Site Admin

Leorising wrote:
Got one of the originals.... can use just about anything to cook with
Leo

Hands on experience, thanks Leo :wavey

How big of a cooking surface are we dealing with here?

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

about 12" diam, 14" tops is my guess.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:30 am
GT Truther

Yes, 10 -12 ", (cast iron pan works great)... or wok...

Leo

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:06 pm
GT Truther

Gidday folks,

I've been without a car for 8 years now. Get fit !
The following is for worst-case scenario. Possibly only relevant to Aussies, but here goes:
Don't take more than you're family can carry.

Ride a pushbike, so you can get to the bush more than 3 days walk for a hungry person.
(If you stay 'put' your food stocks will possibly be taken from you.)

Practice eating Worms, Witchety-grubs & Bardy-grubs (all 90% + protein).
Malley-root, and other gum roots can supplement carbohydrates. Trap birds, high energy.
Smell rodents thoroughly for disease, cook thoroughly. Same with fish !
Be wary of eating too much rabbit, it leaches minerals from your system and you can wind up dead.
Snake is a good source of protein, carbo's & minerals. Eucalyptus in small doses.
Know your berries. Always test for poison. Fingers first, then nose, then lips, then sample tasting - wait one day.
If you take it in this order you'll feel it's wrong through numbness &/or nausea, or sickness.
Meditate over your water & charcoal filter it if you can. (Boil first.)
Knowing Aboriginal cuisine is a huge advantage.
Know the "walkabout" routes.
When the floods subside, after you come down from the mountains keep your family on the move.
Try not to eat human flesh unless you're absolutely starving...
When you balk at all this.
Think of your children. Think of your grand-children.
It may take years, but things will get better.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 am
Site Admin

All good points Trex thanks

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Hmmmm - discovered this on Pinterest (yes, I'm hooked):

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20jar%20method

In a nutshell, it is freeze dried food packaged in jars with oxygen absorbers for emergency preps!

Some of these dry packed jars last 7 to 10 years.

Hmmmm

Has me rethinking the old dehydrated foods now that I can see how to quickly put a meal together and then store it long term.

I've always been put off dehydrated foods because I never could figure out what to do with all those tins of dehydrated carrots and peas.

Now I know! :mrgreen:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:54 pm
GT Truther

Bluebonnet wrote:
Hmmmm - discovered this on Pinterest (yes, I'm hooked):

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20jar%20method

In a nutshell, it is freeze dried food packaged in jars with oxygen absorbers for emergency preps!

Some of these dry packed jars last 7 to 10 years.

Hmmmm

Has me rethinking the old dehydrated foods now that I can see how to quickly put a meal together and then store it long term.

I've always been put off dehydrated foods because I never could figure out what to do with all those tins of dehydrated carrots and peas.

Now I know! :mrgreen:

You boil them!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:28 pm
Profile YIM

Interesting item you discovered there Blue.

I do say though that I prefer fresh food, and second "Short term" preserves. Nothing better than stuff that's fresh or recently prepped for storage. I know things like rice and pastas can keep long - but I just like the health aspects of fresh...

But then one can preserve honey indefinitely... :tounge

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Me, too, Sky which is why I've never really purchased dehydrated food.

I do have one bucket of vegan dehydrated meals I purchased several months ago at Costco but these meals are already put together.

This is an interesting concept to me because in the midst of a disaster (tornado, hurricane, whatever) I think it would be simple and easy to take a quart (or gallon depending on family size) jar out of the pantry and have a whole meal in there ready to go. (Boil as Freak says) :crylaugh

But, and there's that word, a can of dehydrated peas (for example) makes 30 servings. Combine that with more large cans and :awe that's a whole lotta meals for just 2 people. Not to mention jars.

Still undecided here but it is a good solution.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:21 am
Site Admin

Blue you just sent me on a google spree, I have a TON of jars & lids that I was going to either give away and or trash.

Never in a million years would I have thought of doing this, thanks for posting.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

:mrgreen: Welcome!

Another idea for those empty jars - store water in them! Found that on Pinterest, too! :crylaugh

East Texas is now convinced I need a Pinterest intervention. I have it on my phone, the iPad and the 'puter. :spit

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:48 am
Site Admin

Chalkboard Paint + Mason Jars = Frugal & Flexible Dry Goods Storage

http://www.kitchentreaty.com/chalkboard-paint-mason-jars-frugal-flexible-dry-goods-storage/#

I just pinned this to my Prepping board.

What an amazing idea? Pain the tops of Mason Jar lids with chalkboard paint and then use chalk to label the jars.

Genius! :mrgreen: :heart

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:43 am
Site Admin

I am extremely pleased to report that East Texas and I have finally stored what we eat! :clap

Defrosted and cleaned the chest freezer in the garage - it is empty and what remained fit nicely in my fridge freezer in the kitchen.

The long term food storage pantry has been seriously depleted. For instance, we ate all the green beans we grew and canned last year. We also ate all the black eyed peas we grew and froze last year. There is no pasta sauce or pasta. The stock of jams and jellies has been seriously depleted.

Today I began restocking for hurricane season. I bought the following:

Water - 2 gallons (we managed to recycle every last drop of stored water from last year in our Keurig coffee maker!)

Crackers - 2 boxes

Spam - 2 cans

Vienna sausage - 6 cans (was down to 1 can)

Canned fruit - 3 cans (all canned fruit was eaten).

I am just happy, happy, happy with this.

We've been purchasing canned corn, soup, canned black beans and Ranch Style beans from Costco. We also purchase things like protein bars, Goldfish, Rice Krispie cookies, etc. from Costco, too.

We have used all the stored honey and agave and are nearly out of stored maple syrup.

I have 1 jar of kosher dill pickles, 1 jar of sweet pickles and 1 jar of fire and ice pickles left in my fridge.

We've also eaten all the dried beans I stored last year.

:elephant :brockoli :banana :mrgreen:

Yes, I have an extremely long hurricane/long term storage grocery list but I am loving it! :heart

How are you doing on your preps?

P.S. - I also posted a Hurricane Season 2013 topic in the Hurricane Forum. Take a look - it will definitely speed your preps should you live on the East or Gulf Coast. :shock:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:45 am
Site Admin

Way to go Blue thats great news :clap

I have been seriously depleeting my stocks in an attempt to not let food spoil :doh

Think I went overboard, but the good news with that is other than bread and milk and some espensials we have not been to a grocery store in 6 months :clap

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Whoa, L! I haven't been that successful but we have noticed a substantial decrease in our grocery bill over the last few months.

Feels good, doesn't it?

I, too, am a firm believer in recycling the stock. It makes no sense to me to just leave it sit on the shelf.

I am not, however, talking about long term storage foods but, rather, grocery store type foods.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 am

Well done for being proacative there folks.

We have also started buying new stock as we packed plastic containers with long term stock which we have started rotating. So get used to meals also from the larder is useful as a skill.

We are shopping tomorrow for some spread stuff to add more spiciness.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 am
Profile WWW