It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm

How does your garden grow 2011 edition 
Site Admin

Post How does your garden grow 2011 edition
Spring is rapidly coming to Southeast Texas! :elephant :banana :brockoli

The robins are here and just saw a flock of geese heading north to Canada after their long winter here. :wavey

We've been busy, busy this last week and, especially yesterday.

Planted 22 tulip plants - Lowe's had them half price. In my part of the world tulips have to be grown as annuals because we don't (normally) get cold enough weather for them to "chill." I have scarlet and they are just begining to poke their little heads up from the foliage.

The pond bog took a huge hit due to the extremely cold temps we experienced. We've planted some Chinese orchids, creeping jenny, a sedum, and 2 dwarf cannas that are pale yellow. All the fish made it! :mrgreen: We have a floating alligator head in the pond right now because all the grass died. We live so close to the coast (think fishing birds) :roll that we need something to scare them off. The blue heron (fake of course) only works on other blue herons. :lol

East Texas also repotted the water lilies and we are hopeful the umbrella papyrus will make it. It looks like the horse tail reeds made it, too. I'm worried about the Louisiana Iris but they are just beginning to poke their little heads above the water line at the edge of the pond.

Bought a bootiful fuschia hanging basket - it is loving it on the shady side of the porch.

Planted a bunch of caladiums under the roses in one bed. They were cut back on Valentine's day and are already beginning to bud new leaves. Found some purple sweet potato vine to plant under the lavender rose I have planted in a whiskey barrel.

Bought a patio tomato and some flat leafed parsley to plant in the other whiskey barrel with the rosemary - it weathered the cold just fine.

Now to the vegetable garden. The baby leeks we planted last fall are ready and they are simply awesome. The savoy cabbage should be ready in the next week.

We've already planted bush beans, sweet onions, potatoes and carrots. We will plant more carrots next week, too. I have my fingers crossed that this year we can put up some carrots and beans. :whistle

Everything else still looks pretty sad. I'm hoping the cala lillies and taro plant made it - time will tell.

East Texas ordered some plans for a new garden shed. It has a small greenhouse attached and a bird house on the roof! :heart The cedar was delivered on Friday so he has a big ole project to keep him busy! We are taking out a raised bed and garden arch (Ike wasn't very nice to the rose arch) and replacing with the shed and a picket fence with a gate. We don't allow the doxies in the veggie area because I don't want dog poop (ewwww!) and one of the doxies loooovvveees tomatoes! Yep, picks them himself thank you very much! :roflmao

Maybe later I can post some pics for those of you still stuck in the frozen North.

TTFN BB

P.S. - Ya'll are all invited for the first brisket of the year! East Texas fired up the barrel pit this morning! We are smokin' with mesquite wood, too! Yum! Gonna make some killah pinto beans and some good ole tater salad to go along. So come on down! I'll even make ya some unsweet tea, Yankees!

:slap :crylaugh

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:37 am

Post Re: How does your garden grow 2011 edition
Way cool for starting a new garden thread for 2011 BB!

We have been so busy with our outside kitchen build that I have not thought about reporting some of our summer growth experiences.

I would be interesting to hear others opinions that are growing anything as to the issues they have faced with the effects of our earths current funny weather.

We have had some abnormal failures this season (being in the South and all) as most of our fresh and light greens have seemingly failed to sprout when planted directly into the normal growing beds. These being our cilantro, rocket, green lettuce, and tomatoes. They either did not sprout at all, or in the tomatoes case - they never matured beyond the 1cm fruit size. We have had weird temperatures, with not much of a summer to speak of and too much rain. So the tomatoes failing in this category is ok, but the greens?

Our hardy stuff has done very well. Bags of potatoes and pumpkins.

The dang monkeys got into the sweet corn beds and decimated ALL of the crop. I am now commandeered to eradicate when noticing the varmints! :rant

Our artichokes did so well we missed much of the buds as they fired to flower so quickly with all the water. Delicious though.

Also - we really had a fab crop of asparagus this year!

Spinach did well - but the carrots were stunted to a degree as we could not feed enough compost with all the rain.

Oh well - now we prep for the autumn plant. Peas, beans, more cilantro, lettuce and spinach with lots of rotation and bed feeding of compost!

Will be focussing on seeding all our plants in some form this season to add to our seed bank as we are noticing the stores running out of some seed stocks here!! It is the one job we struggle with still, as harvesting seed is a crappy job. Except for my black beans! They are real easy! :tounge

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Hmm, Sky, here may be a partial answer to your seeds failing to germinate due to weather conditions:

Lettuce problem #1: Light sensitive

Lettuce is especially light sensitive. Light is required for some lettuce seeds to grow. When seeds fail to germinate in the dark, they’re called “photosensitive” or “photodormant.” Once they do emerge, to grow a field of lettuce with heads that are all relatively the same size (uniform), the seedlings must all spend an equal amount of time in the sun. Seedlings that emerge just 2 or 3 days later than the main crop may never catch up in size, not only because the others have a head start, but also because of the competitive effects of their bigger neighbors.

Lettuce problem #2: Heat sensitive

The right soil planting conditions, moisture and light, are not the only requirements for successful lettuce seed germination. Temperature also influences germination, even when light is not an issue. For example, planting unprimed lettuce seed in constant light at two different germination temperatures, coastal verses desert (cool vs. hot) germination and subsequent stand establishment in the elevated temperatures can be inadequate.

Double whammy: Heat and darkness

A worst-case scenario can occur when a seed is planted in a light-deprived environment that is also exposed to high temperatures. When these two environmental factors interact together, germination can be inhibited even more. If these negative environmental effects are not alleviated within a particular length of time, the lettuce seed will not germinate consistently, if at all. The seed can enter a state of dormancy and may not germinate for a long time even if the environmental conditions become optimal. That situation is called "photodormancy" or "thermodormancy." This can have a devastating impact on your harvest.

http://seeddynamics.com/products/lettuce/

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 am

I think you have assessed it accurately BB.

We have been spoilt by al our sunshine in the past, and this season we had very little sun with all the rain and also low temperatures. I think we had about 10 days of real summer collectively since September 2010. That has definitely affected the seed germination - we just forgot that light/temperature in lack would cause that. My wife comments she has had much more success doing the sprouting in seed trays in the nursery.

Hmmmm! Well I will keep an eye on this for our winter plant as we are doing it all in seed trays first for now.

:popcorn

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

We have a new garden shed/green house! I will share the pics later - East Texas did soooo goood, ya'll! :elephant :banana :brockoli

He picked 4 GALLONs of Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans yesterday. I'm canning those suckers tonight. We snapped beans out on the porch last night until 8:30 pm! :roflmao

He harvested onions and carrots yesterday, too.

Planted Blue Lake bush beans and more carrots.

Getting the soil where the onions were ready for some corn!

The caladiums came up, so did the umbrella papyrus. The roses are blooming. The morning glory vine is up and blooming, too. The taro, cannas and cala lillies all made it as well. Lost the apple tree, sadly enough.

East Texas is planning to harvest potatoes on Friday so I can can them on Saturday! :shock:

Soooo if East Texas posts "Bluebonnet blew herself up" on Sunday - you'll know what happened! :slap

I am a bit worried about canning potatoes. Well, truth be told the whole pressure canner thang scares the beejesus out of me! Anything that is under 10/11 pounds of pressure - well it just can't be good, right? :huh

I tend to stand waaayyyyyy back from that thang while it gets up to pressure and then waaayyyy back as it vents and cools down. The green bean canning went well year before last so here's hoping it goes as well this year! :heart

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:39 am

Good on Ya BB - and congrats to East Texas for the hard work too!

We've just finished canning all our brinjals and tomatoes. Wife made tomato sauce with the tomatoes and then made pizza / pasta sauce with the brinjals and tomatoes. Hahahaha - we now have enought to span winter easily.

I made Basil pesto this weekend, which went into the fridge. Will last us bout 3 months with all the smacks we make here! Home baked bread and cream cheese with pesto on top. Yum! Grin

Just finished treating the wheat field (12x 12 M) to grow our winter crop of wheat. Will be sowing tomorrow or Friday. This is the second crop for the year we are attempting for the first time. Still wondering how to thresh the first crop. Hands are prob gonna be the best way, as we only have about 20 kilos to work.

Winter in here and we are now doing winter crops - spinach, cabbage, and lots of green herbs.

Picked over 50 narchies off just one tree we had planted two seasons ago!

Getting there....

:brockoli

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Blue I am looking forward to the pictures of the Green House :clap

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Quote:

Okay, Sky, what is a narchie and what is a brinjal? :huh :roflmao

As you can see, I did not blow myself up! Whew! Canned 8 pints of Kentucky Wonder green beans last night. Doin' the happy dance! :banana :brockoli

Gonna can the first of the potatoes tonight so let's keep our fingers crossed, right? :crylaugh

I'll tell ya when that pressure canner starts blowing steam :shock: I get a little :scared and then I plunk down the weight and the pressure thingy and then I get even more :scared and that little thingy starts rockin and a rollin! :awe

Yep, the little flower begins to quickly back away from the stove and peeks around the corner just waiting to yell

THAR SHE BLOWS! :spit :crylaugh

I will try to post the pics tonight or tomorrow, I promise. :heart

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 am

:roflmao - that's a South African thing BB.... I am really laughing hard here....

Brinjal = Egg plant

Narchies are Tangerines

Will be more careful in my word selections next time - :spit

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:42 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Bluebonnet wrote:
Quote:

Okay, Sky, what is a narchie and what is a brinjal? :huh :roflmao

As you can see, I did not blow myself up! Whew! Canned 8 pints of Kentucky Wonder green beans last night. Doin' the happy dance! :banana :brockoli

Gonna can the first of the potatoes tonight so let's keep our fingers crossed, right? :crylaugh

I'll tell ya when that pressure canner starts blowing steam :shock: I get a little :scared and then I plunk down the weight and the pressure thingy and then I get even more :scared and that little thingy starts rockin and a rollin! :awe

Yep, the little flower begins to quickly back away from the stove and peeks around the corner just waiting to yell

THAR SHE BLOWS! :spit :crylaugh

I will try to post the pics tonight or tomorrow, I promise. :heart

If I ever visit the North America and hear a Loud Explosion and see a Mushroom cloud in the Texas region I'll know what has happened (Bluebonnet overdid it with the Pressure canner :shock: ) BB do little Sparks come out of the Pressure Canner? if so GET A NEW ONE PRONTO

My Microwave did this a Few Months ago::

But when It did this it was on the bench top I was :scared $H!TLESS as I was standing next to it Luckily I DUCKED It made this weird high Pitched Buzzing noise and shot sparks before it exploded

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:55 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

:spit :roflmao :slap

Ya'll are too much! Thanks, Sky! Two of my favorites - eggplant and tangerines. YUM!

No, Freak, no sparks but tons of steam - kinda like The Little Engine that Could - "I think I can, I think I can".

Now ya got me worried because my microwave is installed at HEAD height! :scared

Duck and cover if it starts making noises, right? :yamon

I didn't can the taters last night because American Idol was on. Yes, baaa baaa baa - it is my guilty pleasure. :oops

But truth be told, I just wasn't ready to face that canner again! ;)

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:39 am
GT Truther

Bluebonnet wrote:
:spit :roflmao :slap

Ya'll are too much! Thanks, Sky! Two of my favorites - eggplant and tangerines. YUM!

No, Freak, no sparks but tons of steam - kinda like The Little Engine that Could - "I think I can, I think I can".

Now ya got me worried because my microwave is installed at HEAD height! :scared

Duck and cover if it starts making noises, right? :yamon

I didn't can the taters last night because American Idol was on. Yes, baaa baaa baa - it is my guilty pleasure. :oops

But truth be told, I just wasn't ready to face that canner again! ;)

More like Run out of the House screaming if your microwave starts making weird noises and starts sparking

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:35 am
Profile YIM

My wife and I are intrigued BB - just how you are gonna can them taters. What do you prep them as? Is there a mix they go into, or just plain without skins? It has never crossed our minds to do that. I have seen potatoes (small) in cans in the store, and mash as a dried powder.

We have a root cellar where we lay out our winter stocks of late harvest summer growth and we keep the room cold and slightly moist. This keeps pumpkins, squashes, yams, beets, sweet potatoes, taters and carrots for quite a while - :tounge

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

Something that made my eyes pop this morning.

We have been having searing frosts the past few days with the clear sky nights dropping the temperature to -2 to -6 deg C here.

Yet, out cilantro and rocket beds in the veggie garden have withstood the cold and frost and are booming!

Now I never ??!??

Lovely for our winter greens though! :silly

We just love our salalds and green toppings on our pasta's!

:tounge

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
Something that made my eyes pop this morning.

We have been having searing frosts the past few days with the clear sky nights dropping the temperature to -2 to -6 deg C here.

Yet, out cilantro and rocket beds in the veggie garden have withstood the cold and frost and are booming!

Now I never ??!??

Lovely for our winter greens though! :silly

We just love our salalds and green toppings on our pasta's!

:tounge

That's because their place of origin was ICELAND, GREENLAND, and THE colder parts of the continent

and sky Rug up it's Freezing it's freezing down here in Down-Under too.

I feel bad for those people over there living Like::

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:09 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Sky wrote:
My wife and I are intrigued BB - just how you are gonna can them taters. What do you prep them as? Is there a mix they go into, or just plain without skins? It has never crossed our minds to do that. I have seen potatoes (small) in cans in the store, and mash as a dried powder.

We have a root cellar where we lay out our winter stocks of late harvest summer growth and we keep the room cold and slightly moist. This keeps pumpkins, squashes, yams, beets, sweet potatoes, taters and carrots for quite a while - :tounge

Sorry, Sky! I just now saw this thread - thanks, Freak!

Here ya go:

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-potatoes.html

You need a pressure canner first.

We didn't can any this year - ate the buggers too fast! :slap

My blue lake green beans are coming on strong. I have one to one half inch long beans everywhere!

Looks like I will spend the Fourth of July weekend canning more beans!

I got 6 quarts and 7 pints of the Kentucky Wonder beans canned. Plus, I gave away a lot of them, too. These were the best yield we've had so far.

The corn is making! :elephant :banana :brockoli

I am doin' the happy dance and anxiously awaiting corn from my own back yard.

East Texas just started some tomato seeds for the fall garden.

The carrots are making and we still have leeks in the ground.

The crepe myrtles are blooming as are the esperanza and the Pride of Barbados.

The roses are kinda small right now - too much heat and not enough rain.

We have 8 baby koi in the pond! :heart We put in some native hyacinth and it seems to have done the trick as far as their survival goes. They have long roots and I think the babies were able to hide in them.

The frogs have bein' a courtin' like mad and we have tons of tadpoles which the koi and goldfish lurv to eat! ;)

It's still hot and dry but we did get a nice soaking last week.

Just wish we would have our normal rain shower in the afternoons back!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:12 am
Site Admin

The hummingbirds are here! :clap

The monarchs are gone, sniff!

East Texas has been busy!

He's planted:

Tomatoes
Califlower - yellow
Cucumbers
Bush beans - 3 varieties
Raddichio
Collard greens
Mustard greens
Spinach
Carrots
Mesclun
Leaf lettuce
Leeks
Garlic

Yummy! I can't WAIT!

We're supposed to get another cool front tomorrow!

Doin' the happy dance (now please God just a bit more rain?)

:elephant :banana :brockoli

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:04 pm
Site Admin

It's 34 degrees at my house right now! :awe

I think we got down into the high 20's/low 30's overnight. Our normal low for this time of the year is 46 degrees F. The good news, however, is the sun is shining for the first time since Saturday. :clap

My poor garden. The tomato plants are full of green tomatoes. East Texas covered them last night - so we shall see. Picallilli/chow chow anyone? :mrgreen:

East Texas harvested the last of the green beans yesterday. Total amount of green beans? 7 GALLONs.

Yes, the little flower will be busy this afternoon canning more green beans for the pantry. We harvested 3 gallons at Thanksgiving and gave away/ate most of them.

The collard and mustard greens are going gang busters. We've eaten a TON of them and given away a bunch, too.

Carrots should be ready soon.

Cucumbers have done well - but I expect they will go bye bye today/tomorrow.

The news is full of reports of cold weather. Too funny, I know, but ya gotta realize I live in a subtropic zone and it is unusual for us to have such cold weather this early.

The koi and goldfish are snug in their wee little beds this morning. They are moving very slowly and totally uninterested in food (for once). The birds have emptied 2 feeders in the last 2 days. So off to the store for more seed.

News had reports yesterday that the county was filling up trucks and "practicing" with the sludge mix they use for icy roads. :crylaugh

That said, they had lots of practice last January/February with our ice/snow storms, now didn't they?

Big snow headed East of me today/tomorrow.

Stay warm all! :heart

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:26 am
Site Admin

Headed into the New Year and I'm blessed, blessed, blessed this year.

I don't have to buy cabbage (for wealth) as my collards and mustards are going gangbusters due to the recent rain and cooler weather. I have a shiny penny to put in the pot, too. :mrgreen:

I have corn in my freezer from last summer - for health.

Sadly, I checked both freezers and we have eaten all the crowder, cream and black eyed peas I froze last summer. :shock: :gah

Off to Central Market today for some for Sunday - for luck ya know.

Gonna get a split of champagne because it is, after all, 2012. ;) :yamon

Found a lovely rack of pork ribs in the chest freezer (we defrosted it yesterday) so East Texas will slap those on the barbie Sunday.

Found a package of New York strip steaks - New Year's Eve dinnah is served. All I need to go with them is some baking potatoes and some salad greens.

The tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes and the race is now on to see whether they will ripen before a freeze predicted for Sunday/Monday. :lol

Even found a low sugar box of brownies for dessert! Heh heh - you would be amazed what you can find when you (finally) clean out the ole freezer.

Wishing you all a very peaceful, happy and prosperous New Year! :wavey :heart

BB

P.S. - Forgot to add that we ate the first of the cauliflower last night. It is yellow - not white. It is sweet, sweet, sweet and yummmmmm oh. Now East Texas is kicking himself for only buying 3 plants. :crylaugh

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:47 am