It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Either you are a rebel or a slave - Occupy Wallstreet 
Site Admin

Post Either you are a rebel or a slave - Occupy Wallstreet
Very interesting, doncha think?

Big ole Texas hat tip to kpete @ Democratic Underground for pointing the way.

The Best Among Us

Posted on Sep 29, 2011

By Chris Hedges

There are no excuses left. Either you join the revolt taking place on Wall Street and in the financial districts of other cities across the country or you stand on the wrong side of history. Either you obstruct, in the only form left to us, which is civil disobedience, the plundering by the criminal class on Wall Street and accelerated destruction of the ecosystem that sustains the human species, or become the passive enabler of a monstrous evil. Either you taste, feel and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. Either you are a rebel or a slave.

To be declared innocent in a country where the rule of law means nothing, where we have undergone a corporate coup, where the poor and working men and women are reduced to joblessness and hunger, where war, financial speculation and internal surveillance are the only real business of the state, where even habeas corpus no longer exists, where you, as a citizen, are nothing more than a commodity to corporate systems of power, one to be used and discarded, is to be complicit in this radical evil. To stand on the sidelines and say “I am innocent” is to bear the mark of Cain; it is to do nothing to reach out and help the weak, the oppressed and the suffering, to save the planet. To be innocent in times like these is to be a criminal. Ask Tim DeChristopher.

Choose. But choose fast. The state and corporate forces are determined to crush this. They are not going to wait for you. They are terrified this will spread.

snip

Read more here: http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_best_among_us_20110929

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:22 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Either you are a rebel or a slave---Choose---But choose fast
Mike Krieger: "Rebellion Has Arrived In America"

From Mike Krieger of KAM LP

The Bill of Rights is a literal and absolute document. The First Amendment doesn't say you have a right to speak out unless the government has a 'compelling interest' in censoring the Internet. The Second Amendment doesn't say you have the right to keep and bear arms until some madman plants a bomb. The Fourth Amendment doesn't say you have the right to be secure from search and seizure unless some FBI agent thinks you fit the profile of a terrorist. The government has no right to interfere with any of these freedoms under any circumstances.

- Harry Browne

The inherent right in the people to reform their government, I do not deny; and they have another right, and that is to resist unconstitutional laws without overturning the government.

- Daniel Webster

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.

- Samuel Adams

Rebellion Has Arrived in America

As most of you know, I spend almost as much time studying social changes and geopolitics happening around the world as I do studying markets. While carefully observing those areas are always important to a macro investor such as myself, when you are smack in the middle of a Fourth Turning they take on an increased level of importance. What has shielded the U.S. from a lot of the social strife sweeping the rest of the globe at the moment has been the U.S. dollar’s reserve status since this allows us to print seemingly infinite amounts of paper dollars and shove them down the throats of the rest of the world for their resources. This keeps the populace fat, happy and most importantly asleep and apathetic. Well I am pleased to announce that those days are OVER. The American populace is now in the very beginnings of a state of open peaceful rebellion against the criminal oligarchic mafia that runs the nation through fraud and corruption. The status quo is likely to become increasingly defensive as a result and may lash out aggressively like a cornered rat, but they cannot and will not win. They can only really win when they own your mind and that battle has already been lost. Six months from now the state of rebellion will have moved from just beneath to the surface to the forefront of everyone’s mind. It will be a peaceful and constitutional rebellion and it will end with new ways of doing things, more freedoms and a very long road toward rebuilding a safe, fair, free and localized society once TPTB’s prison planet grid of control has been torn down forever. :heart :candle

Occupy Wall Street

I will be the first to admit that I faded the whole idea of this “Occupy Wall Street” protest. I had already seen several failed attempts at protest in NYC come and go and I just sadly assumed the spirit of that once great city had died forever. I am extraordinarily happy to report that I was wrong. When I watched some video of police brutality at NYC protests this weekend I was stunned. Not because the cops acted like some mercenary storm trooper thugs, but because this protest that has started the week before still had momentum! Check out this link regarding what is going on. It has two must watch videos. http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=194965 The first one already has over 400k watches on youtube. This is the spark I have been waiting for and I am pleased beyond belief that it happened in Manhattan right where it should. How about this appearance of Cornel West at the protest on Tuesday. http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/ ... wall-str... I am proud of my old home today. This is a big deal. The serfs are coming together. Keep it up.

Most of you reading this right now are thinking that this is interesting but he is exaggerating and this will blow over. I am here to assure you that it is not and this whole thing is about to grow exponentially as the economy continues to stagnate and people climb the learning curve. Are you aware that the founder of Salon.com, David Talbot, is publicly calling for an “American Spring?” This of course is a reference to the Arab Spring, in which revolution swept across North Africa earlier this year and led to the collapse of the Tunisian and Egyptian governments and then major government bribes to the people living in the oil rich kingdoms. Mr. Talbot writes “In these increasingly hard times, Salon is dedicating itself to an American revival. Our editorial mission will become more explicitly and aggressively populist. We will be publishing more investigative pieces, exposing the shadow dance of power. And both Democratic and Republican targets will be fair game, since both parties are increasingly under the control of the same corporate forces.” His full piece is here http://www.salon.com/about/american_spr ... ut/insid... You need to read it if you want to understand where all of this is headed. How about journalist Chris Hedges talking about “Occupy Wall Street” http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/ ... ll-stree... We the people now understand it is not “rich vs. poor,” businessperson vs. teacher.” It is serf vs. oligarch. They are 0.1% and we know what they are up to. GAME ON.

Read more here: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/mike-kireger-rebellion-has-arrived-america

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:28 am
Site Admin

Some video's of teh JP Morgan thugs called the NYPD

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Don't know if this is true or not but if it is this is HISTORY in the making

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/fo ... ead=217110

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Wall Street Protest Starting to Look Like Egypt

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/09/ ... egypt.html

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

No Excuses -- Join the Occupy Wall St. Movement or Stand on the Wrong Side of History

Either you obstruct the plundering by the criminal class on Wall Street or become the passive enabler.
September 30, 2011 |
Protester arrested by NYPD. Via @NYCRevMedia on Twitter. Photo Credit: @nycrevmedia on Twitter LIKE THIS ARTICLE ?
Join our mailing list:
TAKE ACTIONChange.org|Get Widget|Start an Online Petition � There are no excuses left. Either you join the revolt taking place on Wall Street and in the financial districts of other cities across the country or you stand on the wrong side of history. Either you obstruct, in the only form left to us, which is civil disobedience, the plundering by the criminal class on Wall Street and accelerated destruction of the ecosystem that sustains the human species, or become the passive enabler of a monstrous evil. Either you taste, feel and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. Either you are a rebel or a slave.

http://www.alternet.org/story/152592/no ... age=entire

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

FUCK YOU FEDERAL RESERVE... is that plain enough for you??? :fu

The Federal Reserve Plans To Identify “Key Bloggers” And Monitor Billions Of Conversations About The Fed On Facebook, Twitter, Forums And Blogs

The Federal Reserve wants to know what you are saying about it. In fact, the Federal Reserve has announced plans to identify "key bloggers" and to monitor "billions of conversations" about the Fed on Facebook, Twitter, forums and blogs. This is yet another sign that the alternative media is having a dramatic impact. As first reported on Zero Hedge, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York has issued a "Request for Proposal" to suppliers who may be interested in participating in the development of a "Sentiment Analysis And Social Media Monitoring Solution". In other words, the Federal Reserve wants to develop a highly sophisticated system that will gather everything that you and I say about the Federal Reserve on the Internet and that will analyze what our feelings about the Fed are. Obviously, any "positive" feelings about the Fed would not be a problem. What they really want to do is to gather information on everyone that views the Federal Reserve negatively. It is unclear how they plan to use this information once they have it, but considering how many alternative media sources have been shut down lately, this is obviously a very troubling sign.

You can read this "Request for Proposal" right here. Posted below are some of the key quotes from the document (in bold) with some of my own commentary in between the quotes....

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... -and-blogs

Also see more video's I posted at this link

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2922

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Roseanne Barr: Behead Bankers, Rich Who Won't Give Up Wealth

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... 4.facebook

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Quote:

POOF for OCT 2: Good Times
Date: Sunday, 2-Oct-2011 15:55:43

Hi, Folks -

Received via e-mail:

*************************************************************************************
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

My, oh my what a wonderful day!

Plenty of sunshine heading my way

Mister Bluebird on my shoulder

It's the truth, it's actch'll

Ev'rything is satisfactch'll

Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!

Greetings and Salutations;

There's plenty of news to give people pause on the future. It's enough to give everyone a reason to go running into the sunset with their hair on fire, if they choose to believe nothing is being done about it. Bad news always has a greater impact on people and gets the lion share of the reporting. This is the paradigm we are departing from. People naturally feel 'something' huge is taking place and it's creating a lot of vexing in the guts. One thing they could never manage was people's personally moving past the media circus and getting things on an inner level....defying the out picturing of things. Someone has come out of the mists, with the authority to end this saga and bring forth all the world awaits. To open that omega doorway into the alpha of the future.

Collapse Of Entire Global Banking System Is Underway Signals CEO Of Worlds Largest Mutual Fund

Look at this, more things afoot right next door;

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/

If you just listen to all the boo birds, you might buy this; It's simply the end of the corporation's dream for america;

http://endoftheamericandream.com/

This has been going on for weeks, yet it's only now going public. Shades of the 60's but it's for a different reason;

http://gawker.com/58.../jon-stewart-ta

Merkel just won't quit. There will be no 4th reich, nor a dissolution of the euro

http://www.presseuro...utschmark-redux

She's already been confronted by someone from the family who promised to put her business on the street. I guess she wants to test the veracity of the folks in the rafters. Oh well, they'll be plenty of surprises to go around in the coming days and weeks. and as the man said in europe, we shall all be talking about this 100 years from now....the day the world changed. Don't get into arguments with people about your view point, it's a waste of time, everyone has Need to be right...when what they Need to do is shut up and watch the ineffable transpire. You can't save anyone don't try. The world is moving on and in action right now. Wax your surf board, these are big waves, ride them all the way to the beach. Hang 10 dudes and dudets, it's an adventure of a lifetime. Good luck and have a good one.

Love and Kisses,

Poofness

Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
GT Truther

L2L wrote:
FUCK YOU FEDERAL RESERVE... is that plain enough for you??? :fu

YES FUCK YOU FEDERAL RESERVE you pack of RATS :rant :fu :fight :fight :fight We will DESTROY you.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:04 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

http://www.occupytogether.com/

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

fulcanelli wrote:
Happy Birthday to DD & the GT!!!

I suppose the following Occupy Wall Street video should go under the thread that Blue & L2L have been updating re OWS, but in the spirit of our togetherness, I offer it here:

http://vimeo.com/29906321

Edit to add:

Best RANT of the OWS movement, thus far, IMO!!!

I'm far from sold on R.P... or any other candidate currently running for POTUS, but this particular endorsement aside, the young man in the above video is SPOT ON! :clap

Regards,
fulcanelli

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

It's spreading folks :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Check this out

This is where our money went to protect corporate America :fu

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Here's the link to the map with more info...

Quote:
Posted by Benjamin Fulford October 3, 2011

The process of removing the cabal that has controlled most of the world for the past 300 years is almost complete, according to sources directly involved in the takedown. The takedown is being done by the world’s military, police and intelligence agencies. The group being taken down is the Thule Society, Skull&Bones Nazi conglomerate headed by George Bush Senior. This group was trying to start world war 3 in order to reduce the world’s population by 85% and start a fascist world government.

Instead, they will be bankrupted and put in jail. Evidence of the takedown is now becoming visible for all to see. For example the IMF, supposedly the world’s lender of last resort, is saying they have no money to help the Euro. This is publicly available evidence that the post war power structure is ending. The best way to understand what is happening is to take a look at this map:

Source: Wikipedia
This is a map of the real global economic situation. It shows the cumulative current account surpluses and deficits of the world’s countries. The countries that appear green on the map are the countries that have lent money to the countries that appear red. This is money based on actual physical trade so it is backed by reality unlike the trillions and quadrillions sitting on bank books that were created through fraud.

What has happened is that the green countries that have real money stopped lending to countries still controlled by the fascists (the G6: Germany, the United States, England, France,Italy and their small group of slave states) starting in the fall of 2008. That is the real reason for the so-called Lehman shock.

Looking back, the titanic struggle for control of the global financial system and hence global power, has been dramatic.
The fascists countered the initial green attack by using fiat money to ramp up global oil prices. They also tried to create a starvation crisis by paying Western farmers with fiat money to grow “eco-fuel,” instead of food. These efforts failed because the fascists no longer had a lock grip on the world’s oil and food supplies.

The fascists also tried to renege on their debts by issuing a new currency they wanted to call the Amero. This was rejected because the green countries rightfully said they did not want their hard-earned dollars to be devalued. Instead the green countries acted to preserve the value of their hard earned dollars by refusing to accept all dollars created inside the US after 2008. Evidence for this can be found in trade numbers showing such things as a year on year 77% drop in US imports of Japanese cars or in the 90% drop in the Baltic Dry Index (the price of shipping).

This explains why the US dollar has not collapsed despite the announced printing of countless trillions by the US branch of the Federal Reserve Board. These dollars are simply not entering the international financial system although they are goosing the Dow Jones Index.

The fascists won a year’ respite when they promised “change” under Obama. That ended in 2009 after Obama showed through his actions that he was part of the fascist continuum.

Since then the fascists have been acting like unemployed junkies, selling off anything they can and writing false checks to pay their dealer. For example, they melted down and sold giant silver machines used for the Manhattan project. They have also resorted to outright theft.

If you look at the green countries on the map you can see their targets. They attacked Japan with a nuclear tsunami weapon and an engineered nuclear crisis in order to try to extort (unfortunately with some success) money from Japan.
They also overthrew a few dictators like Mubarak in Egypt to steal their money (they got Mubarak’s $70 billion slush fund).

Then they invaded Libya to steal that country’s oil and over $100 billion in assets. They also killed the members of the youth division of Norway’s ruling party in order to try to extort that countries $1.5 trillion rainy day fund.

Since they are bullies who are too scared to attack countries that can defend themselves (Russia and China), the next targets of these extortionist thugs would appear to be weaker green countries like Saudi Arabi, Algeria and Venezuela.

These moves have bought the fascists some time. However, that time is quickly running out. Recent illegal maneuvers to push down precious metals prices will not help.

The fascists also tried to carry out a coup against the US patriots in the Pentagon and the agencies by setting off nuclear bombs in New York and Washington. Instead these bombs were taken by patriotic forces and used to blow up the warehouse facilities of the underground bases the fascists were hoping to hide in after they started World War 3.

The bombs were set off in in a manner designed to prevent human casualties. Reports of 30,000 dead are false.
Sources in the KGB, the Pentagon and MI6 all confirm that the nuclear warhead used to trigger the tsunami in Japan and the two blown up underground in the US were part of four warheads that were stolen from the Russian submarine Kursk. That means one more rogue nuclear weapon is still in their hands and probably located in Europe.

It is hard to know when the final take down of the cabal will proceed but the situation is now down to a few technical legal details. This is because the authorities that are taking down the cabal want to do everything legally and constitutionally.

However, the take-down has already begun. In addition to thousands of bankers who have already been arrested, some big fish are being targeted. Public legal proceedings have already begun, for example, against Tony Blair, Nikolas Sarkozy and IMF head Christine Lagarde. Putin, for his part, recently fired his long term finance minister Alexei Kudrin because he had been compromised by the fascists. The Chairman of UBS was also removed because of his cabal connections.

The fascists have also been trying to negotiate their way out of this situation. George Bush Senior has contacted a senior US White Dragon Society member and offered “all the money in the world,” in exchange for “being left alone.” Unfortunately for the Nazis, many of them have tried to cling to power too long and are no longer in a position to negotiate immunity for themselves. White Dragon sources in the US agencies say top cabalists like the last four US presidents will go to jail. Finance, Organized Crime.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I love Keith Oberman

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Quote:

Police in New York have violently dispersed an anti-Wall Street rally, arresting more than seven hundred people after a dramatic showdown on Brooklyn bridge. Thousands joined the movement dubbed 'Occupy Wall Street' - in protest against what they call corporate domination. James Corbett, editor of independent news website http://www.corbettreport.com says the police brutality may provoke an escalation of violence.

RT on Twitter http://twitter.com/RT_com

RT on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/RTnews

The Occupy Wall Street protests are a sure sign that people have begun to realize where the real power center of the United States rests, James Corbett, editor of the corbettreport.com website, told RT.

"I think what is probably potentially transformative about this movement is the fact that they did not locate this on Washington," he said. "It was not Occupy DC, it was Occupy Wall Street which I think shows the idea that the people are looking past the political theater that is taking place in Washington towards the real axis of political power which is located in the heart of the American empire on Wall Street and in the finance capital, not where the politicians are wrangling about austerity measures and that sort of thing.

"I think people are becoming more and more aware through the Ron Paul presidential campaign and other means that are travelling through the society right now that the real heart of the empire is in the finances and that is something that makes this political movement somewhat different and sets it apart," Corbett added.

http://rt.com/news/u...t-protests-873/

Occupy Wall Street protest: NYPD accused of heavy-handed tactics

Force criticised by protesters, who claim they were deliberately led on to road before being penned in and arrested Ed Pilkington in New York guardian.co.uk, Sunday 2 October 2011 17.34 BST

The New York police department has come under criticism for heavy-handed tactics during the Occupy Wall Street march over Brooklyn bridge, in which more than 700 protesters were arrested and held for several hours.

Activists involved in the march, as well as commentators who are following the protest against inequality and corporate excess, claim the response of the city's police force to the peaceful event was vastly out of proportion.

The total number of people who have been arrested in the past two weeks stands at almost 1,000 -- substantially more than the number of financiers who led the world into the 2008 economic meltdown.

As Salman Rushdie put it in a tweet: "The world's economy has been wrecked by these rapacious traders. Yet it is the protesters who are jailed."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oc ... actics?n...

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d8fe1c18-ed15 ... xzz1Ze65...

October 2, 2011 6:01 pm

Policing of Wall St protests under fire

By Robin Harding in Washington and Reuters in New York

A controversy erupted on Sunday over the policing of anti-Wall Street protests in which the New York police arrested over 700 people.

Police said that they made the arrests on Saturday afternoon after demonstrators ignored warnings and entered the roadway of Brooklyn Bridge, stopping traffic. But protesters claimed that police had entrapped them by leading them on to the vehicle section of the bridge.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d8fe1c18-ed15 ... xzz1Ze4X...

#occupywallstreet

#takewallstreet

https://occupywallst...-will-be-used-a...

http://anonops.blogspot.com/

WATCH LIVE - http://www.livestrea...lobalrevolution

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23takewallstreet

Block the censorship, Promote #occupywallstreet

https://www.facebook...292573430756348

Occupy the London Stock Exchange

https://www.facebook...255151111189948

https://www.facebook...ylondon?sk=wall

http://news.google.c...occupy+wall+st...

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

recall15 wrote:
Also:

TRANSCRIPT:

Greetings, Institutions of the Media.
We are Anonymous.
The events transpiring within Wall Street have caught our eye.

It seems that the government and Federal agencies enjoy enforcing the law a little bit too much. They instate unjust laws as mindless automatons, blindly following orders with soulless precision.
We witness the Government enforcing the laws that punish the 99% while allowing the 1% to escape justice, unharmed, for their crimes against the people.
We have observed this same Government failing to enforce even the minimal legal restraints of Wall Street's abuses. This Government who has willingly ignored the greed at Wall Street has even bailed out the perpetrators that have caused our crisis.
We will not stand by and watch the system take over our way of life.
We the people shall stand against the government's inaction.
We the people will not be witnesses to your corruption and ill gotten profits.
We will not labor for your leisure.
We will not assist you in any way.

This is why we choose to declare our war against the New York Stock Exchange. We can no longer stay silent as the population is being exploited and forced to make sacrifices in the name of profit.
We will show the world that we are true to our word. On October 10th, NYSE shall be erased from the Internet. On October 10th, expect a day that will never, ever, be forgotten.

Vox Populi, Vox Anon.
The Voice of The People is The Voice of Anonymous.
We are Legion. We are the 99%.
We do not forgive. We do not forget.
Wall Street: Expect us.

TheAnonPress Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/TheAnonPr ... 4753933126

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

recall15 wrote:
Dondep wrote:
Now I see a whole new world unfolding. Especially after seeing the 'American Spring' blossom out from the "Occupy Wall Street" encampments to the Brooklyn Bridge where hundreds were arrested - one by one - and the protester's determination held steadfastly. The mainstream media kept complaining about "what's their specific demand?" as if they're some kind of politician running for something, or the usual single-issue civil-rights campaign protest....no, these people are in the vanguard of a movement that is finally going to drag the issues we vent about here into the light of mainstream media spotlights. More power to them! And to the "V for Vendetta" efforts of Anonymous and other groups like them. The stage is being prepared, I think (after much pondering of why the misleading "7 of 10" shock is still waiting in the wings), for the population to be much better braced for that shock. Less likely to freak out, as the PTB have worried will happen. By the time Singapore and Jakarta finally sink and the earthquakes in South America

Right OP Occupy

Message From Anonymous.
Mirror:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccazpyz0 ... r_embedded

TheAnonPress Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/TheAnonPr ... 4753933126

GlobalRevolution Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Re ... 77?sk=wall

Live Stream: http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

Live Stream (Without Chat): http://pastehtml.com/view/b85pz39vm.html

Occupy Together - http://occupytogether.org/

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I have seen this before and I can assure you that it will shake you to the core :scared

http://www.stansberryresearch.com/pro/1 ... PSIMA25/PR

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Press Releases

Nurses to Join March on Wall Street October 5; Demand Wall Street Transaction Tax – an “FTT” :mrgreen:

Media Advisory
October 3, 2011

National Nurses United, the largest union and professional association of nurses in the US – with 170,000 members, will be represented at the Wall Street March on October 5 by contingents including from Maryland, Pennsylvania, California, Washington, D.C., Illinois and New York. NNU is joining other unions, organizations and community groups in support of Occupy Wall Street. The Wall Street March begins at 5p.

NNU is pressing for a financial transaction tax (FTT) which was in effect in the US from 1914 to 1966. Proponents, including NNU, say hundreds of billions of dollars could be raised annually through even a modest tax rate on financial market trades of stocks, bonds, derivatives, credit default swaps, and similar financial transactions and used to help rebuild America. :yamon

In June, NNU members, joined by labor and community activists, rallied in support of such a tax on Wall Street across from the New York Stock Exchange, and outside the U.S. headquarters of the Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C.

More than a dozen countries now collect revenue from financial transactions. Britain alone raises billions every year just with a tax on stock trades. The French and Brazilian parliaments this year endorsed such an FTT, as did the European Parliament, with the EU now considering adoption.

Read more here: http://tinyurl.com/3mp7a7t

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:39 pm
Site Admin

Big ole hat tip to WillyT @ Democratic Underground for this.

Always interesting to hear the other side doncha know!
;)

snip

And while it would be easy to write off these so-called protests as diffuse expressions of general twentysomething malaise, as they have grown, they have developed into something more dangerous: Organizing and promoting an "occupation" distinguishes this effort as that of a mob.

There is no right to disrupt traffic or occupy other people's property, no matter if it's one lunatic individual or the 99% of the public protesters claim to represent. What's so lamentable about "Occupy Wall Street" isn't even their collectivist goals but the means by which they go about to achieve them: force and intimidation.

Inspired by the "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrations in New York, some 100 people gathered Sunday outside the Federal Reserve Bank in Chicago to protest inequities in the nation's financial system. WSJ's Jack Nicas reports.
Merriam-Webster defines "occupy" as "to take or hold possession or control of," which is exactly what the protestors have done. Just yesterday, 700 people were arrested in New York blocking cars on the Brooklyn Bridge. "These are our streets, we will occupy them" proclaims the Chicago group's fliers. Yet it's not the ideas they hope will persuade onlookers, but their obstruction. For more than two weeks they've camped out in front of the Chicago Board of Trade and other financial centers, banging drums, barking demands and disrupting people working in neighboring offices.

Capitalism, the system "Occupy Wall Street" so feverishly wants to bury, operates on the principle of voluntary trade, not occupation and threat. Capitalism treats men not as sacrifices for the public good, but as independent individuals with their own lives. From the professional on the trading floor to the kid selling lemonade, investors know that if you want something from someone else, you can't simply demand it by occupation, you have to trade for it, just as others must trade with you.

That's the justice protestors are seeking to destroy.

Jonathan Hoenig is managing member at Capitalistpig Hedge Fund LLC.

Read more here: http://tinyurl.com/3qz5z5s

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:45 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next