It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 pm

Food Box Business 

Post Food Box Business
Well - it has finally come to fruition! DW has started a micro business supplying organic vegetables in food boxes to locals and residents in our nearby town.

She got together with a neighbor friend and formed a growing partnership in "Living Food" organic vegetable supply. They have pooled their collective "excess" stocks of greens that we produce on our local farms and found an outlet in supplying house holds with yummy organic veggies and home produce.

They outreached to the local garden clubs and found themselves 20 customers whom each receive a $18.75 box of goodies every Thursday.

Attachment:
Product.JPG

Well - I am just happy for them as they have found an energy outlet and are making around $1500 a month - which can only get bigger if they wish to grow bigger.

As of now they have a waiting list around 6 families to get onto the supply chain...

The main drive now is to grow sufficient stock of a good seasonal variety. So it is seedling establishment, grow, grow, grow - weed, water and grow!

I can see the next hurdle is to expand the current growing area's to accommodate additional options for extra volume. Already we have now got an outlet to all our excess stock, like the mountain of avocado's about to ripen! I will just have to guard my own fav's not to lose it to the supply chain and end up going short in the kitchen - Lol.

It is also nice to see DW have purpose and be busy as hell all week! :tounge

AND - I get to eat really cool variety of food regularly - seasonal off course!

:brockoli

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:06 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Food Box Business
Way to go, Sky!

What amazing veggies! :clap

We call those food co-ops (as in co-operatives) in my part of the States. Yep, they are very popular with folks.

Well done, Mrs. Sky! :heart

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:19 am

Post Re: Food Box Business
That is wonderful, Sky! Congrats to Mrs. Sky (lol) and her friend.

A friend of mine started an organic garden cooperative some years ago on the grounds of the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers in New York. A couple of the guys really took off with it and are fully invested in the concept and the work. People from the community, as well as other Maryknollers (Sisters, Lay Missioners, and Affilitates) come and donate their time to help out, and receive veggies in return. The majority of the food goes to food pantries in the community. I mention this because if your DW wants to expand, the labor for food concept, in as limited a manner as they wish to make it, could help provide additional hands. This is what is needed for us to move forward as an independent people, not relying on the gov't for "help". God keep me from anybody from gov't who says "I'm here to help you". (They call it the Pachamama Farm - Pachamama is Quechua for "Mother Earth" - one of the languages of the indigenous peoples of the Andes.)

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:18 am
Profile YIM