It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 am

Household items you’re paying too much for 
Site Admin

Post Household items you’re paying too much for
A quick walk around the house can uncover a multitude of items we’ve spent too much on. From pricey shampoos and body washes, to household cleaners and medications, there’s a veritable fortune being spent unnecessarily. But once you can identify the culprits and tweak your shopping habits, it’s like finding change in the sofa cushions.

Chances are you’ve got way too many household cleaners under the kitchen sink: one for the windows, one for the dishwasher, one for the countertops — the list could go on forever. Bear in mind that items with name brands don’t necessarily clean better than the generic alternatives. Better yet, even bigger savings can be found by mixing a few inexpensive basics like vinegar and baking soda. The all-purpose powder is a natural deodorizer, and when mixed with water makes a great scouring agent. For window treatments, there’s really nothing more effective than vinegar and water for cleaning glass surfaces. Go a step further and use old newspapers instead of paper towels for a streak-free, guilt-free, cost-free shine.

Read the rest of the article here: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43900727

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:13 am
GT Truther

Post Re: Household items you’re paying too much for
great topic BB!! I am facing not just cost for this stuff, but since my family suffers from allergies, my naturalist medical man tells me I need to get my environment cleared of "toxic" chemicals. If I only used bleach or ammonia, it would be better for us. It seems our immune systems are reacting to the things we touch, breath and digest. Did you know fabric softener sheets are practically deadly ? not immediately of course, lol. I am looking for natural soaps and shampoo ideas too. One thing I found out too, just plain all natural clothes are a must for us too. Linen is the best for the body. Cotton is great too. I want to eliminate as many petrol products from our lives as we can, just for the health of it.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:44 pm
Site Admin

Yep, Barb, all natural clothes are the best. They can be a pain to iron, launder, etc. but they feel soooo goood!!

We had a doxie who was very allergic to flea bites. One flea on Sammy would produce huge whelps!

I quickly realized we were poisoning US trying to rid him of fleas. Good thing I worked at A&M at the time.

I found I could use diatomaceous earth inside my house and a product called Biohalt in the yard. Both of these are readily available at any feed and seed store.

And better yet - no POISON! :nono

Borax works great under the sink for roaches, BTW.

None of the above products are harmful to small children or pets.

:mrgreen:

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:08 am

BlueBonnet wrote:
I found I could use diatomaceous earth inside my house and a product called Biohalt in the yard. Both of these are readily available at any feed and seed store.

Now there you go!! Thanks for that heads up Blue!

We bathed the dogs today, and they all have fleas fop the first time ever! Inherited from the damn farm next door!

At least I have a good stock of DE and will dust the dogs down tomorrow.

:clap

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:02 pm
Profile WWW