It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

Making Yummies 

Making Yummies
DW has now made two canning exercises come to fruition this season.

1. First - the chilly harvest has been bottled into a sauce (which I call a jam)

2. She wanted to recreate a stunning little jam we bought last year - and has done so quite creatively - with her coriander (or cilantro) from the veg garden.

Of course I am the taste tester, customer and main consumer of the delicious produce, as it all goes onto my morning toast or dinner plate as a condiment! :tounge

So I have now officially awarded her with the Gold Medal of Stupendous and Amazing Achievement for producing the best and yummiest Yums for our lil 'ol house!! I am so proud of her - as I now do not have to hunt around the food markets to get such cool food items on my morning toast.... :lol :heart

Attachment:
150ml Jams.JPG

:brockoli

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 01, 2012 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Making Yummies
:clap :heart

Way to go, Mrs. Sky!!!!!

Lovely, lovely, lovely! :carrot

Tue May 01, 2012 7:18 am
Site Admin

Awesome

Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

I want some! Are you doing overseas shipping yet? LOL

Wed May 02, 2012 9:33 am
Profile YIM

Ruts - if it was not such a mission to get "wet" stuff into the States I would gladly send some 'samples' :tounge

Well - we have just harvested the second last batch of chillies and there is 10 kg of 3 types sitting on the kitchen table today. So - I can see lots of cutting and seed stripping happening over the next two days!!

Then its canning time again. Tough on the fingers and eyes (chillis eventually get their juice into the skin and under nails - and it burns for two to three days) but I am a sucker for the yummies we end up with in the pantry - so.... :silly

I will try take some picks to show and tell.

Sun May 06, 2012 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sky - use exam gloves - like in the doctor's office.

That is what I use to cut chili's when I make salsa. Much easier on the hands. Plus I am allergic to jalapenos. ;)

Sun May 06, 2012 5:15 am

Very good advice Blue.

The problem is that we do - and after 4-6 hours of chilli processing pips, we find that the juice has penetrated the skin of the gloves and whammo!

This time I will be putting on two pairs....

I have been thinking of those silver fire suits they use when they impress us on TV with the wearer's skill in getting real close to fires - like what Jaime or Adam wear in Mythbusters! But somehow those gloves look to far out!! :lol

Sun May 06, 2012 8:21 am
Profile WWW
GT Truther

Sky wrote:
Very good advice Blue.

The problem is that we do - and after 4-6 hours of chilli processing pips, we find that the juice has penetrated the skin of the gloves and whammo!

This time I will be putting on two pairs....

I have been thinking of those silver fire suits they use when they impress us on TV with the wearer's skill in getting real close to fires - like what Jaime or Adam wear in Mythbusters! But somehow those gloves look to far out!! :lol

use thick rubber gloves sky not those flimsy exam ones.

Sun May 06, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile YIM

Tried them fr33k - and they are not ideal, as one does not have much tactility in handling a delicate body of the chilli to effectively scrape out the seed stalk.

But we have to tackle the job later today, as the pods will dry out and once they get soft, it is even more difficult to handle them.

So now its - :babykick

Sun May 06, 2012 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Quote:
I have been thinking of those silver fire suits they use when they impress us on TV with the wearer's skill in getting real close to fires - like what Jaime or Adam wear in Mythbusters! But somehow those gloves look to far out!!

:crylaugh :spit :slap :roflmao

Anyone who has ever dealt with chili's knows exactly what you mean. Those suckahs just ruin my hands. And, yes, I agree with you, Sky, after several hours the capsasin does, indeed, penetrate armour.

That stuff is wicked, wicked, wicked.

I actually get blisters on my hands from it. :dunno :scared

Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 am
GT Truther

Bluebonnet wrote:
Quote:
I have been thinking of those silver fire suits they use when they impress us on TV with the wearer's skill in getting real close to fires - like what Jaime or Adam wear in Mythbusters! But somehow those gloves look to far out!!

:crylaugh :spit :slap :roflmao

Anyone who has ever dealt with chili's knows exactly what you mean. Those suckahs just ruin my hands. And, yes, I agree with you, Sky, after several hours the capsasin does, indeed, penetrate armour.

That stuff is wicked, wicked, wicked.

I actually get blisters on my hands from it. :dunno :scared

have you ever tried freezing them you can do it with onions to stop the tears so why not try it with the chillies to stop the hurting and blisters. Same thing happens to me with citric fruits like oranges, lemons and limes e.c.t.

Tue May 08, 2012 4:38 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Nope, freak, doesn't work. See below from Wikipedia

Quote:
Natural function

Capsaicin is present in large quantities in the placental tissue (which holds the seeds), the internal membranes and, to a lesser extent, the other fleshy parts of the fruits of plants in the genus Capsicum. The seeds themselves do not produce any capsaicin, although the highest concentration of capsaicin can be found in the white pith of the inner wall, where the seeds are attached.[21]

The seeds of Capsicum plants are predominantly dispersed by birds. The TRPV1 channel to which capsaicin binds does not respond to capsaicin and related chemicals in birds (avian vs mammalian TRPV1 show functional diversity and selective sensitivity). Chili pepper seeds consumed by birds pass through the digestive tract and can germinate later, but mammals have molar teeth, which destroy seeds and prevent them from germinating. Thus, natural selection may have led to increasing capsaicin production because it makes the plant less likely to be eaten by animals that do not help it reproduce.[22] There is also evidence that capsaicin evolved as an anti-fungal agent.[23]

In 2006, it was discovered that the venom of a certain tarantula species activates the same pathway of pain as is activated by capsaicin, the first demonstrated case of such a shared pathway in both plant and animal anti-mammal defense.[24]

So when you clean the peppers (i.e., remove the white membrane and seeds) you basically open the capsaicin Pandora's box of pain. :shock:

Pretty smart plants, huh? :mrgreen:

Milk is the most effective treatment for the "burn" that comes from ingesting peppers. This is why so many curry recipes call for yogurt to help the pain of the burn.

Tue May 08, 2012 6:30 pm